SirTop

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

All of the above is good advice....

Are you left or right eye dominant? If you don't know form a circle with both hands and look at something through it, then open one eye at a time and the eye that looks at the target in the middle is your dominant eye, the other eye will be looking at your hand?

If you are right eye dominant when you line the putt up from behind and point the line on the ball to the target it will look different from above when you take your putting stance.

Don't readjust even though it will look wrong just trust the line, it takes some getting used to.

The hardest thing I find is bringing the damn putter back in a straight line then forward in a straight line.

What's the trick with that, is it purely muscle memory or similar?

Back on the rebound

Goals for 2016:

• Single figures by 2077 (current 10.1) damn chopper

• Single figures (official GA) finally!! 9.4

What’s in the Bag?:

• Nike Covert 2 - with stock stiff
  • Taylormade UDI ... 3 iron back in the bag 
  • Cobra Fly Z 3/4
  • Mizuno JPX 825 pro 4-pw with KBS Tour Shafts
  • Cleveland RTX 588 tour wedge - 58 wedge bent to 60 degree
  • Mizuno MP T4 - 50 degree and 56 degree wedges
  • Taylormade spider putter
  • Clickgear buggy
  • Ball :
  • Vision 808 Pro Soft
  • Titleist NXT Tour 

Red = new / changes to set up

Achievements:

- GA in single figures finally!

#17 Manikato

Manikato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

Why not get a putting lesson?
Made a HUGE difference to me
Don't know why people don't want to consider it
Is it considered a little bit pathetic?
A pro could watch you put and iron out any major flaws or inconsistencies
Then you can practice drills knowing you are on the right path

I have had a putting lesson and pro diagnosed that I did not have my eyes directly over the ball. So practised with mirror getting my eyes directly over the ball. Results were inconsistent. No better than before really.

Bought Phil Mickelsons DVD and he says he doesn't agree with that approach.
Should have your head inside and behind the ball. Finally I feel like I can see the line before I putt bit like shooting pool as they say.

I Bend over a bit more and turn head more when looking at hole and ball. Then stay inside and behind ball. The line between ball and hole seems to be clearer this way for me.

One thing is for certain everyone is different. Good luck :)

#18 Alongdriver

Alongdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

If you watch the ball rolling in slow motion when the pros putt you'll see the line on the ball. That is a good indicator that the ball was hit correctly as long as you line it up correctly as well. Or, have someone watch the ball after you hit it to see if it is rolling with the mark rolling end over end. I got fitted for a putter once, and they had cameras to watch all of that, so as someone mentioned earlier, try a putting lesson. I found out that my putter was too light, and that I was blocking my putts leaving them right of my target. 

I am not an intelligent man. I wasn't born with a good memory, wisdom, acumen, wit, intelligence or a good memory. 

#19 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

The hardest thing I find is bringing the damn putter back in a straight line then forward in a straight line.

What's the trick with that, is it purely muscle memory or similar?

It's supposed to travel on a gentle arc, not straight.  Unless you're using a broomstick or putting side saddle.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#20 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

It's supposed to travel on a gentle arc, not straight.  Unless you're using a broomstick or putting side saddle.

Try this Sir Top - my pro swears by it.

http://www.rebelspor...?menuFrom=32006

http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#21 SirTop

SirTop

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Try this Sir Top - my pro swears by it.
http://www.rebelspor...?menuFrom=32006

Going to try this injector, can't putt a 4 ft putt to save my life and dropping 5-6 shots a game as a result of putting

Back on the rebound

Goals for 2016:

What’s in the Bag?:

• Cobra Fly Z 3/4
  • Clickgear buggy
  • Ball :
  • Vision 808 Pro Soft
  • Titleist NXT Tour 

Achievements:

#22 Dynamo Jimeniz

Dynamo Jimeniz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWagga Wagga

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

I used to be the worlds worst putter, id have 36 putts a round at best. now i love putting,. My problem was i could never get the ball onto the line i wanted. my tip is, pick the line u want, then find a spot on the green about 1-2ft from you, either a mark or a different colour grass or a divot or anything and when you set up over the ball, line your shot up with that mark. If the mark is in your peripheral vision its a lot easier to line up without having to move your head to much. once you turn your head you get a different perception. line your body and club face up square to that mark, look behind the ball and swing through, dont look up till the ball has gone from your peripheral vision.

Whats in the bag:

• Driver: Taylormade R1 Extra Stiff Shaft
  • 3 wood: Taylormade R11 Extra Stiff Shaft
  • Irons: Titleist AP2 712 3i-PW Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft
  • Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 56 & 60 degree
  • Putter: Odyssey Metal X 2 Ball
  • Ball: Taylormade Lethal

Handicap: 3.4  http://www.golflink....k_no=2222632180

I record my groups comp round each week on my GoPro, edit it and upload it to my channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/richo9999

My Swings: http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

#23 solarbear

solarbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

Had the same problem. Here is my solution. After lining up the ball place the face of your putter behind the ball and along the line you want. Then step in and place your feet parallelto that imaginary line. Now set up to putt.
  • Devongolfer and SirTop like this

#24 Golfcrazy

Golfcrazy

Suspect

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

What has worked for me is going about half way between the ball and the hole and practising the put from there, it has certain ally helped with getting a read and feeling on the put.

#25 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Had a revelation yesterday. Realised that my graduated bifocal glasses make every put look like it breaks L to R when I am standing over the ball. Very disconcerting. May have to try putting without glasses - though I am very blurry without them. Have not got good at contacts yet so thats not an option.

• Devongolfer likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#26 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3340 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

Had a revelation yesterday. Realised that my graduated bifocal glasses make every put look like it breaks L to R when I am standing over the ball. Very disconcerting. May have to try putting without glasses - though I am very blurry without them. Have not got good at contacts yet so thats not an option.

I started wearing contacts and took a while to get used to taking them out at night and now it's routine. I have found I can read some putts better than when I wear graduated bifocals, the only issue at times with contacts is if I look up too quick or having an off day I see double, nothing confuses you more when you can see 8 people on the green instead of 4 but is due to the brain trying to workout what's going on with the images and I have found to combat this I gradually look up but only slightly slower than normal. The other option like you did say was to learn to putt with out glasses but this is not always worth the hassles.

#27 SirTop

SirTop

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Fwiw I discovered if I have a slow takeaway then pause before the stroke, I am 70 percent more accurate than in the past

I also draw a line to the hole in my mind, then pick a spot a fee inched in front of the ball, walk up to the ball, line up with) the face of the putter with the spot, then align my feet to this, then swing

My putting has come leaps and bounds in the last month as a result

Back on the rebound

Goals for 2016:

What’s in the Bag?:

• Cobra Fly Z 3/4
  • Clickgear buggy
  • Ball :
  • Vision 808 Pro Soft
  • Titleist NXT Tour 

Achievements:

#28 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

Putter should accelerate thru the ball pick a spot on the line you believe to be correct align to that spot have a couple practice swings looking at the hole to tell your brain the distance then re aim at the mark on your line and pull the trigger ps didn't three putt on bumpy greens last sat and am only occasionally 3 putting using this method

Edited by rjp10, 24 February 2014 - 12:05 PM.

• Kannis likes this

#29 Kannis

Kannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSydney NSW

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

Putter should accelerate thru the ball pick a spot on the line you believe to be correct align to that spot have a couple practice swings looking at the hole to tell your brain the distance then re aim at the mark on your line and pull the trigger ps didn't three putt on bumpy greens last sat and am only occasionally 3 putting using this method

I also find accelerating through the ball after making contact helps me a lot. 

#30 Dynamo Jimeniz

Dynamo Jimeniz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWagga Wagga

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Similar to my earlier post but, the best tip I could give anyone is. Stand behind the ball and make your read and pick the line u want to put your ball on. Pick a mark a foot or a little more infront of the ball, eg just inside a divot mark, or different colour patch of grass, or a bit of fluff etc. pick exactly where u want the ball to go and imagine the ball rolling over that and going into the hole. Now the important part. Step up to the ball and line yourself up with that mark, try to have that mark in your peripheral vision so your head doesnt move because you will get a distorted view of the line. Line your body up with where your aiming. Now only look at the hole to get a feel for the distance. Nothing else, when u look side on you will think your putting the wrong line but you aren't. Remember you stood behind the ball and checked the line yourself so trust it. The moment you doubt the line or think it looks wrong, step away and start over. I can gaurentee you that it will look wrong when your standing beside the ball. Dont look at the hole, watch the spot you picked out and putt it on that line. Last but not least, dont look up early, not till u finish your follow through or you will push or pull it off your line.

You will be amazed how weird it feels but how well it works. I reckon for 5 rounds I felt like i either had the wrong line or once i hit the ball it was going to miss but they all went in or missed cause of my read not my stroke.

1 last thing. If you miss the putt, dont get upset if you putted the ball on the line you chose, because you made a good putt, you just miss read it which everyone does. Reading greens isnt easy. If you missed because you didnt putt it on the line you wanted then thats your fault. You can get angry with that.

Edited by Dynamo Jimeniz, 26 February 2014 - 08:23 PM.

Whats in the bag:

• Driver: Taylormade R1 Extra Stiff Shaft
  • 3 wood: Taylormade R11 Extra Stiff Shaft
  • Irons: Titleist AP2 712 3i-PW Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft
  • Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 56 & 60 degree
  • Putter: Odyssey Metal X 2 Ball
  • Ball: Taylormade Lethal

Handicap: 3.4  http://www.golflink....k_no=2222632180

I record my groups comp round each week on my GoPro, edit it and upload it to my channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/richo9999

My Swings: http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: putting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users