38 replies to this topic

#1 Mike146

Mike146

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hi all, would appreciate some help here so I can get into the loungeroom and practice some putts!

When putting, I can pick out where I want to putt the ball and how hard I need to hit it to achieve a desired line. But when I step up to the ball, put my head over it and look sideways to see where I'm hitting, I get totally lost!

I can see where I want to hit it but have no idea if I'm actually aiming in the right place.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

-Mike #rookieinneedofhelp :wacko:

The Long Hard Look with Mike Wilson / NRL

#2 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4908 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Well I was just listening to someone pontificate during commentary on how to line up putts.  The short answer is find what suits your eye and gets you to put it on line more often.  Here are some techniques I have seen

1. Stand behind and pick the line and choose some sort of small speck or mark to aim for and then aim for that

2. Pick the line while you are over the ball

3. Pick the line, place your club behind the ball square to the line and then put your feet in line

It might help to use the markings on the ball to line up the putt to where you want it to go.   Some people choose a speck to aim for, some people picture the whole line of the putt and aim to get it started on that line.

I say do some practice on the practice green.  Set up on a relatively straight putt but one that is long enough that you can see deviations on the line  - say 10 feet.  Try various ways of aiming or starting your routine (you know that you are aiming directly at the cup, so you don't need to worry about actually picking the right line), and figure out which method makes it easiest for you to get it on line to the hole.  Then try out the best performer with a putt with a slight break and if it still works, figure out a quick reliable routine based on that method of aiming and use the same routine every single time.

• Hat_Trick and Mike146 like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#3 corn

corn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Mike

I do this and many other do it. I am sure plenty of guys will say something different.

I have a line drawn on my ball. I pick my path I want the ball to take and use the line on the ball to match up with the this path. Once I step away from the ball I will make sure I am still happy, if I am happy step up to the ball.

Once I stand over the ball I trust the line and put my putter square to the line on the ball.

I do this on all putts, I guess what ever you decide to do you need to do this all of the time.

I hope this helps.

• Sandy, Mike146 and SirTop like this

#4 Mike146

Mike146

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Thanks deege and thanks corn.

Corn that is so obvious I can't believe I didnt think of that. And now I know why when they zoom in on a pros ball there is a line drawn on it!

The Long Hard Look with Mike Wilson / NRL

#5 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20104 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Mike one more thing I reckon, in addition to the two previous fine contributions.

When using a line on your ball as a guide, (which is a good idea) ....... line the the putter face up with the ball, and then .......... build your stance around the putter ...... making sure you feel "square on".

Don't take your stance first, and then line the putter up.

The putterface is what defines the path the ball takes .... so do that first, and then build your comfortable stance around that ...... :)

• Sandy, hakman and SirTop like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational

2019 FNQ Invitational Series
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#6 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Mike all of the above is good advice work your line out pick a mark on that line aim at that mark line yourself up to that mark set your stance putter etc and putt . couple more tips , you are putting at the mark not to the mark on your line don't confuse the distances or you will come up short . The line on your ball also tells you how you are striking your putts if the line wobbles you are not rolling the ball truly if it runs end over end and no wobble you are striking it well . If you are having trouble getting the putter face square to the line you want,get a credit card put it down level to the face and use the stripe on it to see where your putter face is actually pointing

#7 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

This works for me

When you take you stance try not having your eyes directly over the ball, but a 1/2 - 1cm or so nearer you - over the hozel of the putter (depending on the design)

When you look from ball to hole make sure your head rotates around a horizontal axis - so that your right eye stays in line and below your left eye. If you rotate around a more angled axis so that your right eye starts to move away from this line it introduces an error. Try wearing (sun)glasses and keep the top edge of the glasses parallel to the line of the put as you line it up. A bit hard to explain. As I said I'm certainly no expert but this works for me.

Make sure you play the ball forward in your stance - this allows you to view it slightly from behind, which helps. Also helps to hit it correctly

Now don't aim at the cup - aim at the specific blade of grass or spot on the back of the cup you want the ball to go at.

I also found getting fitted for a putter made a big difference. I use a 34inch now and it actually helps me to get my stance etc right because i hold the club the same and the correct length each time.

http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#8 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Mike one more thing I reckon, in addition to the two previous fine contributions.

When using a line on your ball as a guide, (which is a good idea) ....... line the the putter face up with the ball, and then .......... build your stance around the putter ...... making sure you feel "square on".

Don't take your stance first, and then line the putter up.

The putterface is what defines the path the ball takes .... so do that first, and then build your comfortable stance around that ...... :)

Yep

Try this drill

Put the club behind the ball where you want to hit it ..as in lined up

Then hit without building a stance

You will be maxed how many putts go in by having the head pointed right

Stance isn't important - face direction at impact is everything

#9 BarnEsy05

BarnEsy05

Holing It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32830 posts
  • LocationKAW KAW

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

putt it...if it doesn't go in, putt it again...continue until ball in hole :)

• Alongdriver and SirTop like this

A

DON'T LET THE BLACK DOG WIN...

HELP IS OUT THERE

7 Time ISG NSW WBT Winner
2013 ISG NSW WBT COC Runner Up
2015 ISG NSW WBT COC

2019 ISG NSW WBT COC
2nd ISG NSW Life Member Inductee...Got Had a Jacket to Prove It
2012 ISG National Championships...Inaugural Supreme Putting Champion
2013 ISG National Championships...3rd Place 2nd Round - Moonah Links
2013 ISG National Championships...13th place...now that's desperately unlucky
2014 ISG National Championships...13th place...no other golfer could be that desperately unlucky 2 years in a row!
2015 ISG National Championships...21st place...that's farked
2016 ISG National Championships...waaaaay down the list.
2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Yarra Yarra Satellite Game
2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Huntingdale Satellite Game
2016 ISG National Championships...Captain of winning NSW Team, SOO
2017 ISG National Championships...12th place...heading in the right direction
2017 ISG National Championships...Winner The Lakes Satellite Game 43pts
2018 ISG National Championships...Best left unspoken

2019 ISG National Championships...5th Place

2019 ISG National Championships...Runner-up 2nd Round 13th Beach - Creek Course 40pts c/b

2019 ISG National Championships...Eagle 3 on hole 14 1st Round 13th Beach - Beach Course
2013 Brass Yacht Winner (Inaugural)
2014 Brass Yacht Winner
2015 Brass Yacht Runner-up
2016 Brass Yacht Winner
2017 Brass Yacht Winner
2018 Brass Yacht Winner

2019 Brass Yacht Winner

HOLE IN ONE
2017 ISG NATIONALS ROUND 2 RIVERSIDE OAKS 17TH HOLE BUNGOOL COURSE FIRST SHOT OF THE DAY (SHOTGUN START)

Life Motto: "If it's free, it's for me!"

Team Live4BarnEsy...forever undefeated angel-2-smiley-emoticon.gif

Desperately Unlucky ©

#10 Alongdriver

Alongdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

I think you have all the advice you need written above Mike, so this will probably be a bit redundant, but I'll put my routine in as well since I have a moment. 

1st, I start with standing behind the ball to get a general line the ball will follow to the hole based on the terrain. Let's say I guess that it is about a 6 meter putt with about 30cm left-to-right break, and slightly uphill (playing 7 meters). I'll then stand off to 1 side or 2 to get a better read for the up/downhill slope. Then, I'll stand behind the hole, to get a read for a putt from the hole to my ball, and see if I come up with the same reading going the opposite direction, which would be a 30cm R-L breaker, downhill (5 meters). 

If I don't get the same readings, then I'll take an average between both reads if there isn't enough time. 

Let's assume I got the same readings both ways. Back behind the ball, I'll pick out something on the green about 1 foot that is in line with 30cm left of the hole. usually it is a blade of grass, but sometimes it is discolored grass, or other object.

Line up the line on the golf ball to roll over the target 1 foot in front of my ball, then set up for 2-3 practice putts near my ball to gauge distance. Set up for my putt to roll the ball over my target, make sure the putter face is square to the target line, then mimic the swing motion for distance. It should be pretty close if my putting stroke was good. 

I am not an intelligent man. I wasn't born with a good memory, wisdom, acumen, wit, intelligence or a good memory. 

#11 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43513 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

Mike all of the above is good advice work your line out pick a mark on that line aim at that mark line yourself up to that mark set your stance putter etc and putt . couple more tips , are putting at the mark not to the mark on your line don't confuse the distances or you will come up short . The line on your ball also tells you how you are striking your putts if the line wobbles you are not rolling the ball truly if it runs end over end and no wobble you are striking it well . If you are having trouble getting the putter face square to the line you want,get a credit card put it down level to the face and use the stripe on it to see where your putter face is actually pointing

That is so true. Been a real problem for me putting - so worried about the line I hit at the ball and come up all short.

Good stuff rjp

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#12 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20104 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

I reckon, that once you get the line on your ball pointing where you want it to go ..... and you slide the putter in square to that ........... then you don't ever need to think about your line again.

From there its all about the pace of the putt ..... so once in your stance, just focus on the speed and length of stroke you need, in order to get it to the hole.

Too much time I reckon, particulaly on longer putts, is spent fussing about the ideal perfect line, whereas speed is much more crucial in avoiding the dreaded 3 putt, and in leaving yourself close enough for a tap in.

Get the speed right and you won't be far away ...... get it wrong and you're a chance to 3 putt ..... so pick your line, then "set and forget" . and just focus on the pace of the putt.

Just my thoughts ...... :)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational

2019 FNQ Invitational Series
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#13 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Why not get a putting lesson?

Made a HUGE difference to me

Don't know why people don't want to consider it

Is it considered a little bit pathetic?

A pro could watch you put and iron out any major flaws or inconsistencies

Then you can practice drills knowing you are on the right path

http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#14 SirTop

SirTop

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Why not get a putting lesson?

Made a HUGE difference to me

Don't know why people don't want to consider it

Is it considered a little bit pathetic?

A pro could watch you put and iron out any major flaws or inconsistencies

Then you can practice drills knowing you are on the right path

That's the way to go I reckon, coach session. I'm inconsistent, some days I do well, some I don't.

Definitions of good or bad vary too, with opportunity loss being overlooked. I.e. this morning I didn't 3 putt any of the 9 holes, but I missed all of the puts that were around 6-7ft after nice 100m pitch shots or green-side chips.

Annoying as all, and I tried a few methods covered here too.

I suspect the challenge is not lining up, but getting the putter back and through straight, and the ball heading along your target line

Back on the rebound

Goals for 2016:

• Single figures by 2077 (current 10.1) damn chopper

• Single figures (official GA) finally!! 9.4

What’s in the Bag?:

• Nike Covert 2 - with stock stiff
  • Taylormade UDI ... 3 iron back in the bag 
  • Cobra Fly Z 3/4
  • Mizuno JPX 825 pro 4-pw with KBS Tour Shafts
  • Cleveland RTX 588 tour wedge - 58 wedge bent to 60 degree
  • Mizuno MP T4 - 50 degree and 56 degree wedges
  • Taylormade spider putter
  • Clickgear buggy
  • Ball :
  • Vision 808 Pro Soft
  • Titleist NXT Tour 

Red = new / changes to set up

Achievements:

- GA in single figures finally!

#15 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

All of the above is good advice....

Are you left or right eye dominant? If you don't know form a circle with both hands and look at something through it, then open one eye at a time and the eye that looks at the target in the middle is your dominant eye, the other eye will be looking at your hand?

If you are right eye dominant when you line the putt up from behind and point the line on the ball to the target it will look different from above when you take your putting stance.

Don't readjust even though it will look wrong just trust the line, it takes some getting used to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: putting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users