116 replies to this topic

#31 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3296 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Chances are if you a paying under a grand a year your course is a goatrack.

You can play on some perfectly acceptable Victorian country courses, like Port Fairy, Shepparton, Lakes Entrance, Warrnambool and Horsham for well under $1000 a year.

You can join me at Trentham for $425 a year if you like.

#32 Dunbarr

Dunbarr

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

I should have said city course. Country tracks are something of an exception due to volunteer work. 

Trentham looks like it needs a good chainsaw. 

#33 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

You might want to read what I wrote again. I said "For instance having a "Greg Norman" designed course for me it just conjures up a vision of his humongous drives and scares me off". Note: "For me"

It's got nothing to do with how a course plays. It has everything to do with how it's marketed. If a club seeks to sell itself as being a real challenge for a scratch golfer, then it will scare off your average player.

So what percentage of current Golflink registered players play off a single digit handicap? What is the statistical distribution of handicaps? If it centres on say 16, then in order to attract more members a club should aim at being a challenge for the lower quartile. Those playing off less than 16 within the standard distribution.

If it conjures up thoughts like that for you then you aren't doing your homework.

#34 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3296 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

So what percentage of current Golflink registered players play off a single digit handicap? What is the statistical distribution of handicaps? If it centres on say 16, then in order to attract more members a club should aim at being a challenge for the lower quartile. Those playing off less than 16 within the standard distribution.

I'd hazard a guess that the great majority are over 50, play off 15+ and can't drive a ball more than 200m.

For these golfers, a shorter course gives them hope of making par on most holes, doesn't exhaust them for length, means fewer lost balls, faster play, and makes the day and the game far more enjoyable.

There should be more well-designed courses that are 5000m rather than 6000m.
  • *Mouldy, Tolmij, AlisonC and 1 other like this

#35 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'd hazard a guess that the great majority are over 50, play off 15+ and can't drive a ball more than 200m.

For these golfers, a shorter course gives them hope of making par on most holes, doesn't exhaust them for length, means fewer lost balls, faster play, and makes the day and the game far more enjoyable.

There should be more well-designed courses that are 5000m rather than 6000m.

Whats the par/ACR?

#36 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5949 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Chances are if you a paying under a grand a year your course is a goatrack.

Probably no worse than most course were in Australia prior to the 1980’s when resort courses started springing up around the country. Club golf was extremely popular in those days and was the focal point of most golfers social life. How times have changed. But golf has stayed pretty much the same - hit the ball, find the ball, and keep hitting it until it disappears in the hole. Then start the process again.

#37 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

The Vintage Social - 5001m

The Vintage Ladies - 5185m

Stonecutters Ladies - 5238

Not very scary numbers.

Greg Norman designs, not long, fairways are enormous, plenty of options for course set up (length and overall difficulty) for social golf and for men's and woman's comp.

Is this horse dead yet?

Edited by 2Putts, 10 December 2013 - 05:10 PM.

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

#38 Fill the Dill

Fill the Dill

Mong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20821 posts
  • Location#teamgrank

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Yeah but can still see the whip marks from where the jockey was hitting it.

#39 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Poor thing; 5000m was a bit much :rolleyes:

• Fill the Dill likes this

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

#40 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'd hazard a guess that the great majority are over 50, play off 15+ and can't drive a ball more than 200m.For these golfers, a shorter course gives them hope of making par on most holes, doesn't exhaust them for length, means fewer lost balls, faster play, and makes the day and the game far more enjoyable.There should be more well-designed courses that are 5000m rather than 6000m.

Most courses have a set of short tees... Here's a tip... Use them!

#41 Murzo

Murzo

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Perhaps my initial post does not have a simple reply. Everything is costing more and more, and as someone else mentioned, perceived luxuries like golf membership are the first things to cop the spousal axe as things get tight.

I just want to play golf, and personally it is becoming increasingly difficult. I want to maintain my handicap, but don't want to average $60 a round to maintain it at my home club...

Discuss...

Most courses have a set of short tees... Here's a tip... Use them!

#42 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Perhaps my initial post does not have a simple reply. Everything is costing more and more, and as someone else mentioned, perceived luxuries like golf membership are the first things to cop the spousal axe as things get tight.
I just want to play golf, and personally it is becoming increasingly difficult. I want to maintain my handicap, but don't want to average $60 a round to maintain it at my home club...
Discuss...

Just over $25 a week to stay where you are. Can't find some savings elsewhere?

#43 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25268 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

Just to add to Alison's comments, I was chatting with a guy today, obviously a retiree.

He used to be a member at Croydon Vic.  They moved to their new course at Yering in Yarra Valley.  He indicated that many members (probably of similar vintage to him) had left because it was common to lose 6 to 10 balls per round ("water everywhere") and none could play to anywhere near their handicap.

Championship courses are fine for those of championship abilities.  But most of us aren't so good at golf and we want to play somewhere that's achievable.  Having a variety of course 'grades' available to the populace is important, and that can't necessarily be met with forward tee positions.

I've heard that complaint about Croydon/Yering before.  Perhaps if they had done an analysis of their membership before the plans were set, they may have made different decisions.  Perhaps they did do an analysis.  Perhaps the membership didn't realise what they were agreeing to in reality.

• Codboy likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#44 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3423 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

OB, maybe most of them left Yering because the time had come to stump up the $2k plus joining fee which had been put on the back-burner until 1/7/12.

Hundreds resigned overnight, most have joined clubs with no joining fees or are payforplay now !

Luckily ebay hasn't become involved with the club membership section of the golf industry yet, otherwise the entire system would be totally STUFFED UP !

Jon...

#45 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25268 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Were existing members expected to pay a joining fee while the club rolls around in a heap of cash from their former real estate?

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oxley, Membership, Cost, AGU, Carbrook, Brisbane, Family, Expensive, Golf, Competition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users