39 replies to this topic

#1 Dibbers

Dibbers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hi Guys,

I wanted to get thicker grips for my clubs and was wondering if anyone on here regrips their own clubs? I've only just started getting back into golf, and bought myself a set of Tommy Armour Evo's fron GCO. Problem is I'll pay have of what I paid for the clubs to get them regripped if I take them to get done by the pro shop.

I've youtubed it and it seems relatively simple (especially if you have an air compressor) but wanted to see what peoples experience with it was like. Is it as easy as they make out?

Also, anyone bought grips on ebay? I know there are some dodgy fake clubs floating around online, but wanted to know if it's extended to grips?

• handeltav and nflyncwo8 like this

#2 iKnobsi

iKnobsi

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35837 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ask Stink...he has some new rubbers for his shaft.

#3 wizard_of_oz

wizard_of_oz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

Don't waste your money regripping them at the shops. There are counterfeit Golf Pride grips especially the new decade multi compound ones so if it's too good to be true.. Try Sharpro grips, can get a full set of 13 landed for around $60 and the reviews on them are decent. UST Mamiya grips also get good reviews.

#4 Dibbers

Dibbers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Don't waste your money regripping them at the shops. There are counterfeit Golf Pride grips especially the new decade multi compound ones so if it's too good to be true.. Try Sharpro grips, can get a full set of 13 landed for around $60 and the reviews on them are decent. UST Mamiya grips also get good reviews.

Cheers for the advice. Where have you seen them at this price? Did a quick google search but I'm always a little skeptical about online stores when it comes to golf gear...

#5 wizard_of_oz

wizard_of_oz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

Ebay. If you want slightly larger grips, you can also consider adding several layers of tape to build it up.

http://www.ebay.com....42a77645&_uhb=1

#6 Dibbers

Dibbers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Ebay. If you want slightly larger grips, you can also consider adding several layers of tape to build it up.

http://www.ebay.com....42a77645&_uhb=1

Thanks for that. I'll look into it.

#7 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19901 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, ebay for grips ........ and then go visit the golfsmith website ..... as they have tutorials on how to re-grip your own clubs, under the clubmaking section I think.

Its pretty easy to re-grip them yourself, ..... :)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#8 Alongdriver

Alongdriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

I regrip mine by myself. Like you, after watching a few vids on youtube it became quite easy. A mistake I made more than once in the beginning was to not make sure that the very end of the grip was seated properly. So, after you slide the grip onto the shaft, make sure to use your palm over the end of the grip to seat it properly. Otherwise, you'll have a loose knob floating around under your left palm when you swing. 

The air-compressor technique is awesome though. It is fast, and there is no waiting for the solvent to solidify, so you can hit the clubs as soon as you take them out of the vice. 

I am not an intelligent man. I wasn't born with a good memory, wisdom, acumen, wit, intelligence or a good memory. 

#9 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9868 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

As above; it isn't difficult at all and you only need a cheap 12v compressor to do the job ...

... oh and definitely use a length of PVC when blowing glued grips off; the explosion can be impressive :P

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

#10 SCU

SCU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

All of this sounds fine and you are correct, fitting grips is not rocket science but like any DIY you have to add up all of the costs and not just the $6.95 per grip you might be saving. Think of -

Grips
Glue
Glue applicator
Tape
Solvent
Compressor
Needles and Syringes
And most importantly your time!!

And if that all adds up in your favour, I hope you don't bugger it up.

#11 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9868 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

No need for the glue, glue applicator, solvent, needles or syringes.

An air compressor and some masking tape is all you need and once you do it the easy way (no glue) the next set takes less than an hour to change ..... piece of piss ......

Edited by 2Putts, 29 October 2013 - 06:34 PM.

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

#12 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14538 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

All of this sounds fine and you are correct, fitting grips is not rocket science but like any DIY you have to add up all of the costs and not just the $6.95 per grip you might be saving. Think of -

Grips
Glue
Glue applicator
Tape
Solvent
Compressor
Needles and Syringes
And most importantly your time!!

And if that all adds up in your favour, I hope you don't bugger it up.

You don't need all that stuff and if I can do it, anyone can.  You can regrip a whole set within an hour without an air compressor and have a few beers while your doing it.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

#teamgrank devotee

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#13 wizard_of_oz

wizard_of_oz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

Yep, you need grips, double sided tape, solvent and a knife/Stanley blade. That's it. Double sided tape = $3, solvent = $8, Stanley blade = $4. So $1.15 in materials per club for 13 clubs. You can reuse the solvent if you use a tray to catch the excess and obviously the blade can be reused. So, subsequently, you are only paying 23 cents per club in materials. Just add the costs of grips to that and it really is only $5/grip installed with a grip of your choice.

Edited by wizard_of_oz, 29 October 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#14 SCU

SCU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

You don't need all that stuff and if I can do it, anyone can.  You can regrip a whole set within an hour without an air compressor and have a few beers while your doing it.

Are you going to put the club in a vice or just rest it between two empty stubbies?

#15 SCU

SCU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

Yep, you need grips, double sided tape, solvent and a knife/Stanley blade. That's it. Double sided tape = $3, solvent = $8, Stanley blade = $4. So $1.15 in materials per club for 13 clubs. You can reuse the solvent if you use a tray to catch the excess and obviously the blade can be reused. So, subsequently, you are only paying 23 cents per club in materials. Just add the costs of grips to that and it really is only $5/grip installed with a grip of your choice.

Is the tray free?? What is holding the club so that the tray can sit underneath it??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grips, regrip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users