#31 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

now I am confused by the calculations going around here if you are off 5 now on a hard course and you go to any easier course your handicap is going up shouldn't it go down am I missing something like and adjust ment when this starts eg 5 now slope is 130 you go to 5.75

The lower the slope rating the lower your handicap may be. single figure golfes will see very little variation whilst longer markers will experience a greater differential

#32 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

It`s an interesting read looking at courses what I find extremely hard to play (Royal Queensland) being 1 course, Keperra & also Southport and then looking at your home course rating and it`s higher then all 3 well keperra been the same rating and think who came up with these numbers..

antz you also need to look at the course rating. In my area i can compare 2 courses - Taree and Tuncurry.

Taree off the average tee is par 70/rated 70/slope 128

Tuncurry off the average tee is par 72/rated 73/slope 125

so if i go to tuncurry I MAY play off a shot less (not likely as only 3 difference) but I only have to have 35pts to play to my hcp mark whereas I need to have 36pts at taree to play to my hcp mark

you have to consider BOTH numbers. the overall difficulty of a course is often reflected more in the ACR whereas the slope only reflects the raltive difficulty between a good golfer and an average golfer

#33 Waggle

Waggle

Chopper.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1751 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

This system sucks.

#34 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

it will be like all system changes a little confusing for a little while will take the bandits about a week to work out how to manipulate it .the more everything changes the more it will stay the same or whatever that saying is

#35 917Stark

917Stark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

Always thought kingswood was one of the toughest tracks in the sand belt and now I know it's true

#36 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Without really knowing the ins and outs, it all seems too hard. And I like to keep on top of all the changes. For those that don't care so much they don't stand a chance to understand his system.

#37 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationNSW South Coast, where the courses are flatter than Mornington Pen.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

Before retirement had thirty plus years in computer industry. Remember well in the eighties telling management that just because you can do complex mathematics doesn't mean you have to. When calculating handicaps for what is a "GAME" involves quantum statistics I do feel it may have gone too far.

Thinks of disaster if Golflink were to go down for a couple of weeks. What then my fine friends, what then?

• voss likes this

Rev Mother of Bene Gesserit.

What's in the bag.

Callaway Diablo Edge graphite shaft kit, 11° Driver, 3 Wood, 3,4 & 5 Hybrids, 6,7,8,9 Irons, P, A, S Wedges. NV Drew Chipper. Odyssey White Ice No 9 putter.

#38 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25693 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

Without really knowing the ins and outs, it all seems too hard. And I like to keep on top of all the changes. For those that don't care so much they don't stand a chance to understand his system.

That's the thing with computers - they do all the tough number crunching for you.

The logical view is that the slope changes the ACR for you, depending on what your handicap is.  In practice, it's more straightforward to adjust your playing handicap to allow for the difference.

Then there is also the new CCR.  It's new name escapes me for now.  When all the scores for a comp are in and the system does its calculations, it might come up with an adjustment to the base ACR for that day.  All this would not be possible without computer assistance.  Well, it would be "possible", but nobody in their right mind would bother doing it, just for handicapping a game.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#39 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Before retirement had thirty plus years in computer industry. Remember well in the eighties telling management that just because you can do complex mathematics doesn't mean you have to. When calculating handicaps for what is a "GAME" involves quantum statistics I do feel it may have gone too far.

Thinks of disaster if Golflink were to go down for a couple of weeks. What then my fine friends, what then?

we'd all just go  " ahhh, thats close enough" like we always have and nobody would really care. we still get our game of golf

#40 brtnboy

brtnboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Worked out last night that the courses that I play on are about 20% harder than the standard 113 slope

So I'm expecting about a 20% drop in my GA handicap

Sounds right??

#41 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4908 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

While it is all complicated in how they set it up, from the player's end, there should be an elegant simplicity to it. You simply arrive at a course and are given the appropriate handicap to play that course.  It should (all things being equal) lead to more consistent scoring and more confidence that the handicap system is comparing like with like.

• K K Kenny likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#42 kizza

kizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

I think I get it, but it means that handicaps will have to be recalculated as HCWT said. My home course rating is 134 so in theory my handicap will drop when the changes are made as all my counting scores have been made on a difficult course.

Is that right?

#43 brtnboy

brtnboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

That's the way I calculated it kizza..

In my example my current ga handicap is 14.2

The course I usually play at has a slope of 136 which is about 20% over the standard 113.

My new standardised ga handicap would be 11.36 (current hcap - 20%)

When I play at my usual course my daily handicap would be 14 like it normally is but if I went and played at an easier course my daily handicap might be 11.

#44 Tonk

Tonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

It will make for some hard work for Goldy and the commitee to run these OOM's in future and working out who is in what grade etc.

Edited by Tonker, 26 September 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#45 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25693 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

It will make for some hard work for Goldy and the commitee to run these OOM's in future and working out who is in what grade etc.

Not really.  I'll just need to do a few mods to my program which grabs the players' handicaps so that it applies the slope rating to get each player's 'Playing' handicap for that course.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users