317 replies to this topic

#316 slickone

slickone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thats good KKK, I have no problem with things like that. Nothing worse on a course for the older players than to give themselves a daunting shot over something, paticularly water. Waratah have some gold tees for players over, I think 80. A couple of them that I know will not use them because they reckon it makes the holes too easy.

Anything that helps to make their game more enjoyable is OK with me.

#317 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thats good KKK, I have no problem with things like that. Nothing worse on a course for the older players than to give themselves a daunting shot over something, paticularly water. Waratah have some gold tees for players over, I think 80. A couple of them that I know will not use them because they reckon it makes the holes too easy.

Anything that helps to make their game more enjoyable is OK with me.

yeah we have some old guys who refuse to use them on the grounds of personal pride. but at least they have an option

#318 GunDaHar

GunDaHar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

i find the slope ratings for our courses here on the west of tassie, somewhat lacklustre,

Queenstown which is a VERY wet course, and for 9 months of the year, tends to be very rough, plays longer than it actually is, due to there being pretty much no run at all, all distance is carry, and nothing more makes its somewhat easy layout (only 1 bunker, pretty straight holes) and O.B on every hole, except 1. (course sits between a road and a river) and the 5 par 4, 4 par 3 layout looks easy on the scorecard, but plays a lot harder, yet we got given a slope of 94.

most of the other courses on the west suffer in some form due to the wet nature of the west, and in general. the layouts are somewhat easy on paper. (the exception being Rosebery, which is built on the side of a freaking mountain...)

yet, most of us, when we play away from the west, on courses in which condition is of what 99% of courses are, play 2-3 shots better in most cases than our handicaps suggest... but after this slope comes into effect, those handicaps, are set to go out, which in a way will make it somewhat easier for us playing away..

dont get me wrong, having an advantage will be nice in some regards, but isnt this going to be a little unfair in that regards? should they have taken course condition into account when doing the ratings? as i dont think they did

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users