#1 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11908 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Well the Slope ratings, at least those for ACT. NSW and QLD are available on the internet. Makes interesting reading.

NSW.

http://www.golfnsw.o...w-slope-ratings

QLD

http://www.golfqueen...d-slope-ratings

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#2 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationYou stay classy Melbourne

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Good to know these ratings are starting to pop up.

For a bit more info, from here

More on “Slope”
Whilst Course Rating is based on how difficult each hole is for a “scratch” golfer, the USGA uses “slope” to adjust for a “bogey” golfer.
A scratch golfer is defined by the USGA as a male golfer who hits his drive 250 yards (230m) and can reach a 470-yard (430m) hole in two; or a female golfer who hits her drives 210 yards (190m) and can reach a 400-yard(360m) hole in two (and, of course, plays to scratch).

A bogey golfer, in this use, is defined by the USGA as a male golfer with a handicap index of 17.5 to 22.4, who hits his drives 200 yards (180m) and can reach a 370-yard (340m) hole in two; and a female golfer with a handicap index of 21.5 to 26.4, who hits her drives 150 yards (135m) and can reach a 280-yard (250m) hole in two.

Course raters will visit a course and consider ‘effective playing length’ and ‘obstacle stroke values’ – i.e. the actual length adjusted for upslope or downslope, prevailing wind, type of grass and course altitude; and the difficulty of hazards, narrowness of fairways, length of rough, OOB, speed and contour of greens etc.

The raters will consider this for a scratch golfer and a bogey golfer. Slope, then, is a number representing the relative difficulty of a course for bogey golfers compared to scratch golfers. The calculation that determines slope is: bogey course rating minus scratch course rating x 5.381 for men or 4.24 for women.

For a typical bogey golfer with handicap index of 21, an average course will have a slope of 5.381 x 21 = 113.

If this golfer plays a tougher course, say slope = 145 (max slope is 155 and min is 55) his course handicapwill be calculated as 21 x 145/113 = 27. He gets 6 extra shots.

For a low handicap golfer, say handicap index = 3 for a 113 slope course, his course handicap on the tough track will be 3 x 145/113 = 3.8 or 4. He gets one extra shot.

That’s why it’s called ‘slope’ – because the slope of the adjustment graph for a weaker player’s handicap as he tackles more difficult courses is steeper than that for a lower handicap player.

• Oxleyford Championship likes this

#3 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8972 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Well fark me......
9/18 hole course with a slope rating of 130......
Interesting

VTTP 006

#4 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Some interesting ones in NSW: Bonville is rated 148, The Lakes is 143, The Aussie is 137 and NSW is 135.

#5 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationNSW South Coast, where the courses are flatter than Mornington Pen.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

A bogey golfer, in this use, is defined by the USGA:  a female golfer with a handicap index of 21.5 to 26.4, who hits her drives 150 yards (135m) and can reach a 280-yard (250m) hole in two.

So what falls between a scratch and a boggy? A scroggy. Alison is a scroggy.  :lol:

To be honest that all sound a bit iffy. Most of the girls I used to play with could regularly drive 150 mtrs yet were on handicaps of 30 plus.

Rev Mother of Bene Gesserit.

What's in the bag.

Callaway Diablo Edge graphite shaft kit, 11° Driver, 3 Wood, 3,4 & 5 Hybrids, 6,7,8,9 Irons, P, A, S Wedges. NV Drew Chipper. Odyssey White Ice No 9 putter.

#6 winniereds77

winniereds77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

the coast -135?

im assuming thats in a 200km "breeze"

The Trouble with life is there’s no background music

#7 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationNSW South Coast, where the courses are flatter than Mornington Pen.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Previous correspondence from GA suggested that Golflink would do all the calculations and corrections following a game. Last year I played handicap matchplay pennants at seven different courses where I had to give or receive strokes, and it was necessary to know this before the game commenced. So will we have to carry calculators when playing away?

If, come January 2014, our then current handicap has been acquired on an easy course, ie. one with a slope significantly less than 113 will our handicaps be adjusted down in order to standardise them? And if much harder upwards?

Makes sense if a person with a handicap of 17 say which has been acquired on a course with a slope of 65 then effectively that person is playing off 10 on a course with a slope rating of 113 the standard.

Edited by AlisonC, 25 September 2013 - 03:12 PM.

Rev Mother of Bene Gesserit.

What's in the bag.

Callaway Diablo Edge graphite shaft kit, 11° Driver, 3 Wood, 3,4 & 5 Hybrids, 6,7,8,9 Irons, P, A, S Wedges. NV Drew Chipper. Odyssey White Ice No 9 putter.

#8 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

just did some quick calculations scone g c is 129 I am off 11 emerald vic is par 70 67 rating so going on similar ratings in nsw it will get a slope of 113 or lower therefore when I go home to visit my handicap will calculate at 11 x 129/113 = 12.5 does that mean I play off 13 or does it mean if I have 34 points in a comp off 11 I have played to handicap ?

#9 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

They are all up now

http://www.golf.org....tralian-courses

#10 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

interesting. I coordinated the ratings for my area and put all the figures into the spreadsheet that i had ( the US one which was supposedly tweeked to suit our set up) and the ratings are almost exactly what i predicted.

Its a really strange system when you look at it closely. Taree is a great example. It has 12 of 18 holes that fall right at the top end of a shot length for the bogey golfer, making them difficult for the bogey golfer under this scheme. If the holes were 20yds LONGER the slope rating would be considerably LOWER. By having par 3s around 200yds, par 4s around 370 yds and par 5s around 540 yds you end up with the bogey golfer having a long approach to the green creating a difficult hole under this theory. 20 yds longer and they would be playing a short pitch to the hole and it would be easy for them

remember that the LENGTH of the course is more reflected in the ACR whilst the hazards, terrain, etc is more reflected in the slope rating.

compare Taree to Tuncurry and Tuncurry has an easier slope rating as it has few bunkers, no water hazards and little OOB. It does however have impenetrable scrub on all sides of every hole, but this only rates in one category!!

so if i go to Tuncurry I may have to play off a lower handicap than I do at Taree. If i was a member of tuncurry playing regularly there my handicap would be at least 4 shots higher than it currently is.....go figure

#11 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Previous correspondence from GA suggested that Golflink would do all the calculations and corrections following a game. Last year I played handicap matchplay pennants at seven different courses where I had to give or receive strokes, and it was necessary to know this before the game commenced. So will we have to carry calculators when playing away?

If, come January 2014, our then current handicap has been acquired on an easy course, ie. one with a slope significantly less than 113 will our handicaps be adjusted down in order to standardise them? And if much harder upwards?

Makes sense if a person with a handicap of 17 say which has been acquired on a course with a slope of 65 then effectively that person is playing off 10 on a course with a slope rating of 113 the standard.

my understanding is that everyone will have a "handicap index" rather than a handicap and that index will have the slope rating applied for the course you are playing. each pro shop will apparently have a chart which will provide quick conversion e.g on the white course at *** GC if your hcp index is between 9.2 and 10.1 you will play off 10, if it is between 10.2 and 11.0 you will play off 11

you will not find many courses with a rating significantly lower than 113. I rated about 80 different layouts and the lowest rating i came up with was 112. obviously our courses are all equivalent or harder than the " average US course"

I know that there is significant discrepancy between the attitudes of many rating teams which throws a large spanner in the whole works. some teams were keen to get the job done and didnt take the time to consider all of " sleepers" in the system, things like tree chutes, difficulty in recovery shots from trees, lay ups caused by narrowed fairways, etc. They just did the basics and got out of there. Thats one of the problems of having a job done by volunteers

#12 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Some interesting ones in NSW: Bonville is rated 148, The Lakes is 143, The Aussie is 137 and NSW is 135.

Changes in elevation have a massive effect on ratings which would explain Bonvilles rating. I rated Tallwoods and it had similar issues, the back tees ended up something like 141

#13 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

I created a spreadsheet of them here if anyone wants to do some comparison/sorting etc

• Turfers Paradise, Goldy and Tonk like this

#14 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

I created a spreadsheet of them here if anyone wants to do some comparison/sorting etc

looks a bit corrupted BGH, looking at tallwoods the tee colours and scratch rating/pars arent correct

#15 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Sorry I screwed it up. Try again now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users