#1 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationYou stay classy Melbourne

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

Not sure how well this would go down in Australia where most of the people who lash out on expensive gear are club members. But in the US where most of the rounds played are social rounds it could shake the industry up a bit.

http://www.mygolfspy...-illegal-clubs/

#2 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

biggest issue in australia with comp golf will be discerning between illegal and legal clubs out there on the course

There are still numerous golfers using non conforming clubs purchased before the rules changed some time back. I remember buying an R210 taylor made driver. My dad liked it so I purchased another one on Ebay for him. The 2 were slightly different in that one had lines on the face and the other didnt. on investigation I found that this was the discerning factor between the legal one and the illegal one ( trampoline face issues). So how many of your playing partners are going to say " my that club has lines on its face, that is the illegal model"  Answer...none, because they wouldnt know

so unless you have a rules official standing on the first tee at every comp day you are going to have some players using non conforming clubs

#3 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1749 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

biggest issue in australia with comp golf will be discerning between illegal and legal clubs out there on the course

I’ve heard the arguments against bucking the USGA. If we allow non-conforming clubs to penetrate the market, guys will start using them in tournaments. Guys who play by the rules will become frustrated and leave the game. The cheaters will take over, and the integrity of the game will be compromised.

Non-Conforming clubs from big golf companies will destroy golf.

I love a good slippery slope argument. Actually, I’ve never heard a good slippery slope argument, but you get my point.

The truly great thing about golf is that it’s a game of personal integrity. Mainstream availability of non-conforming clubs won’t change that mostly because the guys who will buy them will be guys who have no intention of competing with anyone.

The existence of non-conforming clubs should be fundamentally disconnected from any supposition that it will lead to widespread cheating. Golf is a game of integrity. The capabilities of the equipment won’t change that.

I think that pretty much covers it.  If you're the sort of person who would knowingly, deliberately buy non-conforming clubs to use/cheat in a comp, then you are that way already, and having a wider selection of available clubs isn't going to change that.

To anyone who says "well then, you're cheating OR you're not really playing 'real' golf", I'd wager that Average Joe mentioned in the link isn't playing 'real' golf anyway! I'd like to join a club one day and play comps, so my gear needs to conform, but currently the random hackers like myself that I play with at public courses often are exactly like those described in the link. They're out there to have fun playing something akin to golf, not obsess over the rules and infractions. They're still out there getting exercise and having fun, and providing revenue for golf courses. And if non-conforming clubs help them enjoy themselves more, thus potentially making them spend more time and money at various courses playing "almost" golf, and they never have an unfair advantage because they never play in comps - how is that a bad thing?

Edited by Mububban, 20 September 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#4 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19986 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

I say go for it.

For too long golf club designers have had their hands tied by the ruling bodies, which is why they are down to respraying a driver a different colour every six months, or strengthening their standard iron lofts by a degree or two ...... in order to claim you'll hit these further than ever before (and to justify their positions).

That is the level of innovation the ruling bodies want, first bring out a black driver, then six months later you can paint it white and call it something else....... and in another six months you can change it back to black again.

Its high time the golf club designers were allowed to get off their backsides and earn their money for a change, and time the ruling bodies eased up just a touch I reckon.

I for one, can't wait to see Nike's new range of "slingshot" clubs, which could actually be slingshots .... just stuck onto the end of a golf shaft.

Or the driver with the lowest and furtherest back COG, which might end up looking more like an Olympic cyclists helmet.

Go for it I say, and just let the market place dictate what happens next.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#5 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35937 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

In a country of free speech, why are there phone bills?

#6 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19986 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Speech is free Kinesh ........... but being heard costs 25C per half minute ............ or more for mobiles ... :)

and please ........gamble responsibly.

• fergi likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#7 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4836 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

In a country of free speech, why are there phone bills?

That's easy - we don't have free speech here except in limited circumstances.

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#8 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35937 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

dont look at me in that tone of voice

#9 Fill the Dill

Fill the Dill

Mong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20821 posts
  • Location#teamgrank

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well they were due for another driver.

#10 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43060 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

I have a non conforming swing, so it should be obligatory
  • Mububban likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#11 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9872 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

A non-conforming golf ball would be more beneficial; 350m off any driver  :wub:

Edited by 2Putts, 20 September 2013 - 06:03 PM.

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Taylormade, giraffe, get-to-the-chopper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users