• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16074 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Nike Inc. (NKE:US) says it can make a golf shirt that could replicate what a coach does.

The world’s largest maker of sporting goods obtained about a dozen patents on Aug. 27, including one invention with the potential to irk golf pros.

“A coach or trainer can greatly improve an athlete’s form or body positioning, which can result in improved athletic performances,” Nike said in a patent filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. “For most people, however, a coach or trainer is not always available” and there isn’t an easy way to check positioning on your own, Nike said.

http://www.businessw...oubles-as-coach

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#2 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8124 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

hmmm interesting

I seem to remember a fella (Aussie?) developed a broad-brim hat that had a line of copper built into the brim that was designed to give the golfer feedback for the correct head position during the swing (don't know how it worked, but that was the claim).

It was taken to the R&A for approval for use during play but was knocked-back on the basis that it was an artificial aid.

#3 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16074 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

Supposedly this is fine with R&a and explains why in the full story. The future is here again!

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#4 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8124 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

oh, I must have missed that...I thought I read the story properly - everything from the share price to USB downloads from running shoes.

#5 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8124 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

I saw this para...

Under U.S. Golf Association rules, compression and posture garments are allowed during competition while clothes designed to store and release energy aren’t, said Joe Goode, a spokesman for the Far Hills, New Jersey-based group that governs golf rules in the U.S. and Mexico. He declined to comment on whether a product based on the Nike patent would be permitted.

Not exactly a ruling of legality.

Another opportunity for Nike to overcharge for products?  I'll wait until they turn up at the outlet stores.

#6 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16074 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

I saw this para...

Under U.S. Golf Association rules, compression and posture garments are allowed during competition while clothes designed to store and release energy aren’t, said Joe Goode, a spokesman for the Far Hills, New Jersey-based group that governs golf rules in the U.S. and Mexico. He declined to comment on whether a product based on the Nike patent would be permitted.

Not exactly a ruling of legality.

Another opportunity for Nike to overcharge for products?  I'll wait until they turn up at the outlet stores.

True  I would think they would design to be legal and follow the posture and compression.   I might actually get my figure back! ;)

For golf industry news.

Handicap

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users