Photo

Best driver for beginner/intermediates??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Cheers for the reply :)

I can assure you I'm quite the realist and would never instantly blame the club. I've had it for 18 months and its beyond coincidence that when I grab my mates club my drives are suddenly good.
I even went to a party at a driving range once and when I stepped up with the supplied driver, cracked one of the best drives of my life. Decided to have a second shot and bang, identical shot.

Although ordinairy, my irons are consistent, my 3 wood is consistent. It has to be the driver.

Mike 146

The best advise is to be honest. if you are scoring 105, but hitting your 3 wood really well, keep driver in car and play the round with 3 wood off tee, you will only loose 10 m if that and a hell of a lot less balls but you will be in the fairway.

Spend the $300 plus it costs for a new latest and greatest fad technology driver and spend the money on lessons. That will improve your score faster than a new driver.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#17 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

+1 on 3 wood

#18 BigBrazilianMuff

BigBrazilianMuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1921 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hi Mike, back when I started playing golf, I made the mistake of walking into a golf store that has a name starting with drum..... they set me up with a club that I has no chance of hitting....an 8.5 deg big bertha with a X stiff shaft...now i realise now that I had no chance with that bat, probably wont be able to hit it now...

after struggling with it for over 2 years blaming my swing, I went for a hit at Melton GC and they gave me 3 of the new drivers to take out for a hit....after having tried it 4-5 times I picked the Ping G15 over the TM R11. I still play the G15, 2 years in and the only mod I made was to put in a low launch stiff shaft a month ago....

my advice would be to hit a few on the course and make a well thought out pick....it'll be worth the money if you put in some thought....

good thing is, with the adjustable drivers you have a lot of room to maneuver after you buy a club....

all the best

https://www.golf.org...icap/3013405666

--> Captain Shagger <--

- 2019 Kooringal Open Amateur Winner (NETT) 

- 2017 Southern Golf Club Order of Merit Winner

- 2017 Melbourne Corporate Games Bronze Medalist

- 2015 ISG Vic Annual OOM Champion (A-Grade & Overall)

- 2015 ISG Matchplay Championship Runner Up

- 2015 OOM3 Sandhurst B-Grade Winner and Long Drive winner

- 2015 ACGC National Final-  3rd Individual Aggregate,

- 2015 ACGC National Final-  NTP Day 1 Blue Course Hole 2, NTP Day 2 Green Course Hole 7

- 2015 OOM2 Settlers Run Runner Up

- 2015 OOM1 LeFrogge B Grade Long Drive Winner

- 2014 ISG Vic Annual Order of Merit- B Grade Winner and 3rd Overall 

- 2014 Auto Club Golf Championship- Regional Event KGC- Winner

- 2014 ISG Vic OOM#1@ Sanctuary Lakes GC- Winner 

- 2013 AFL Golf Championship @ Yarra Yarra GC- Winner

- 2013 Stink's 3 Club Challenge- Runner Up 

#19 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8124 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

usually the advice to "leave the driver in the bag and use the 3 wood" is based on some older clubs.

the 3 wood has higher loft - less side spin

the 3 wood is slightly shorter - less room for error

the 3 wood is teed just a smidge off the ground (lower than a driver) - less room for error

the 3 wood sweet spot is larger, relative to the whole club face - different to a driver.

However, things have changed over the past few years...

So, the more recent advice would be to use a driver with loft around or greater than 12* and choke down on the shaft a bit - i.e. have some of the shaft butt sticking out of the top of the hands at address.

The technology in the new drivers will help get the ball scooting out there and the bigger head gives you more metal to hit the ball with.

As you get better and more confident with the big-dog, you can make a few more changes and eventually be out there with the best of your group.

BUT...get the shaft fitted for you, in combination with a head and perimeter weighting that suits your swing.

If you omit this critical part of the process, you might as well turn up with a tennis ball on a rope.

anyway, that's just what I reckon... :)

#20 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3848 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hi ladies and gents,

I'm a weekender who shoots about 105 most of the time and am wondering what driver would be good if anyone knows of one that has been helpful?

My current driver (a second hander) is crud. In the middle of a round i use my mate's driver and start hitting beauties. I first put it down to a psychological thing but its now been happening too much and has to be something wrong with the driver or that the driver simply doesn't suit my style (as poor as it is)

Go retro. Get something from 2009/2010 460cc that is a fairway finder.  My recommendation - grab the Nike Sumo2.  A deadset fairway finder.  Straight as a die.

9453.jpg

Edited by TheTrueReview, 27 August 2013 - 10:12 PM.

• Gilbert Grape likes this

#21 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

Ping g15 ditto

#22 OzPaul

OzPaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFitzroy Melbourne

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Get something from 2009/2010 460cc that is a fairway finder.  My recommendation - grab the Nike Sumo2.  A deadset fairway finder.  Straight as a die.

Ditto TM 07+, Cleveland Drivers 2005+, and also some of the obscure ones, MacGregor NVG, Yonex, Maruman, Cobra

IMO the big names make some easy drivers but some not so easy. For instance Callaway FT and C4 and Hawk can be hard work for slow swing

Set a budget $50-$100, look for 3-6 years old, regular flex. Is a small investment while you progress

#23 Duffed_It

Duffed_It

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

Go retro. Get something from 2009/2010 460cc that is a fairway finder.  My recommendation - grab the Nike Sumo2.  A deadset fairway finder.  Straight as a die.

I bought a Sumo2 off Gumtree a couple of weeks ago for 35 bucks, and a few months before that bought--and then a few weeks later sold--a Callaway Diablo Octane driver for 60 bucks on eBay. There are plenty of good drivers floating around in the $50 - $100 range on eBay. Buy one, play it for a bit, and if you don't like it chances are you can sell it again for about the same.  

• TheTrueReview likes this

#24 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5949 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

For someone shooting over 100 any driver with 12 degrees of loft or more would be a good choice. Plenty of forgiveness and will help get some carry.

If it comes with a stock shaft probably a stiff because they are generally pretty whippy anyway :)

+1. A stiff shaft will minimise the effects of a bad swing in that the clubhead will recover quicker and stay with the shaft through impact. The clubhead will oscillate as the shaft flexes back, usually with beginners before the hands get to the rear leg. A softer flex works against the player when this happens.

#25 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1749 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

I bought a Sumo2 off Gumtree a couple of weeks ago for 35 bucks, and a few months before that bought--and then a few weeks later sold--a Callaway Diablo Octane driver for 60 bucks on eBay. There are plenty of good drivers floating around in the $50 - $100 range on eBay. Buy one, play it for a bit, and if you don't like it chances are you can sell it again for about the same.  

Yep I bought a Ping K15 driver to try off Gumtree for $100.  Didn't work for me, so I sold it again for $100.  Soooo many drivers out there on Gumtree and ebay  :)

#26 Duffed_It

Duffed_It

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

Picked up another eBay bargain today - TM Burner Superfast driver for $26!

#27 Harryvicente

Harryvicente

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:51 PM

I'd recommend you Taylor made M2 Driver 460cc and It's one of the best driver for beginners. It provide higher launch, more forgiveness and increase the stability  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users