Photo

Best driver for beginner/intermediates??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Mike146

Mike146

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

Hi ladies and gents,

I'm a weekender who shoots about 105 most of the time and am wondering what driver would be good if anyone knows of one that has been helpful?

My current driver (a second hander) is crud. In the middle of a round i use my mate's driver and start hitting beauties. I first put it down to a psychological thing but its now been happening too much and has to be something wrong with the driver or that the driver simply doesn't suit my style (as poor as it is)

The Long Hard Look with Mike Wilson / NRL

#2 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6959 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hi ladies and gents,

I'm a weekender who shoots about 105 most of the time and am wondering what driver would be good if anyone knows of one that has been helpful?

My current driver (a second hander) is crud. In the middle of a round i use my mate's driver and start hitting beauties. I first put it down to a psychological thing but its now been happening too much and has to be something wrong with the driver or that the driver simply doesn't suit my style (as poor as it is)

don't blame the driver or your clubs its the person behind the club that is doing things wrong ;)  :)

however though  in choosing a driver  that is going to suit you better you will need to provide  better detail

also i would recommend you going to have a chat with a club fitter

• Mike146 likes this
I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#3 Manikato

Manikato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

Mike all the big headed drivers are pretty good. I use a Callaway Razr fit and if I put anywhere near a decent swing on it I will get something out of it. If you go to one of the demo days they have at driving ranges you will be able to try them out.

Find a brand you like and if you don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred on a driver. Try out the previous years model if you can. Probably be able to get it half price or less.

Bought mine second hand on this forum with 3 wood $170. Love it!
  • Mike146 likes this

#4 Mike146

Mike146

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

don't blame the driver or your clubs its the person behind the club that is doing things wrong ;)  :)

however though  in choosing a driver  that is going to suit you better you will need to provide  better detail

also i would recommend you going to have a chat with a club fitter

Cheers for the reply :)

I can assure you I'm quite the realist and would never instantly blame the club. I've had it for 18 months and its beyond coincidence that when I grab my mates club my drives are suddenly good.
I even went to a party at a driving range once and when I stepped up with the supplied driver, cracked one of the best drives of my life. Decided to have a second shot and bang, identical shot.

Although ordinairy, my irons are consistent, my 3 wood is consistent. It has to be the driver.

The Long Hard Look with Mike Wilson / NRL

#5 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1749 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Cheers for the reply :)

I can assure you I'm quite the realist and would never instantly blame the club. I've had it for 18 months and its beyond coincidence that when I grab my mates club my drives are suddenly good.
I even went to a party at a driving range once and when I stepped up with the supplied driver, cracked one of the best drives of my life. Decided to have a second shot and bang, identical shot.

Although ordinairy, my irons are consistent, my 3 wood is consistent. It has to be the driver.

if your current driver really is a cheap one, then yeah there'll be a world of difference with the head quality and especially shaft quality.  A mate's mate I played with did the same thing as you, was using his 10+ year old cheap driver and going all over the place.  Borrowed my mate's G20 and bang bang bang, 3 straight down the middle and a good 30m longer than his driver.

Pretty much any of the modern drivers from a major manufacturer for the last few years will be fine, so if you want to buy brand new, anything will be good.  Demo heaps of them (because it's great fun!) and you'll find one that fits you best.  

Or if you're on a tighter budget, look for anything from 2010 onwards in the second hand rack at your nearby pro shops and retailers.  You can get what used to be a $450 driver for $150-$200 and they'll likely still be far better than what you've got.

#6 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6959 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Mike

seriously mate we all can say go and buy the new bute latestest driver on the market and all

tell us exactly what is happening when you are hitting your current driver

and maybe also tell us whats happening  when you are hitting your mates driver

are you slicing it  or hooking it?

not getting the distance

what shafts are in your current driver to the  your mates driver

is the shaft stiff, reg, x-stiff, senior flex, uniflex?

have you  had a swing speed test?

cheap drivers etc do not have the best heads or shafts in them and probably will not perform as well as a top end model with there stock shafts

the more information you can provide us mike the better off that someone will be able to help suggest something that may have be more suited to you...

as mubbaban has said  attend demo days  and have a hit with as many  of the latest drivers as possible

speak to a club fitter  take your current driver with you  and have a club fitter have a look at what you are doing  with this current driver and see what the club fitter  suggests

mike i have had a few drivers in my past from 8.5 degree through to 12 degree  and every driver performed differently  and was shafted differently as well

my latest driver i have is only a 12 degree driver a graffalloy shaft in it

i went and seen a club fitter had a hit in the net with it, the club fitter allowed me to take it out on course for couple of weeks to see how it performed

in fact i hit about the same distance as what i was hitting my 9 degree driver the only difference was that i was more accurate and straighter with this driver

the more i have gotton used to this driver the longeri have got as well as of most recent times starting to draw the ball with it....

seriously tell us as much as you can as there is some guys on this forum that have great understanding of this stuff  and would help you

all we are getting is that when you hit your cheap driver it isnt doing its job for you but when you  have hit your mates driver or a driving range party you attended and the driver you used are much better

if you live in melbourne  try and call in and see Total golf performance, they are sponsors off the isg vic ooms and are very approachable with years of experience...

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#7 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

Mike, believe you me, you wouldn't be sorry with a TM in your hands. Like heaven n a stick, that familiar knock has the feel of a new ball straight out of the middle of the bat. Beware of imitations, or a shyster salesman that convinces you of the great unknown coz hey bought them in on a pallet sale

#8 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Mike today's drivers are built in with that much forgiveness it's not funny, you won't go wrong with any modern driver.

Just go with whatever you like the feel of that's in your price range.

<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

#9 Pirelli

Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

Any current driver cut down to 44 - 44.5 inches and reweighted appropriately.

• ozdevil and SirTop like this

#10 SirTop

SirTop

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

Mike

I have the Nike Covert Performance which is amazing, and very forgiving.

It's just had a huge price drop as well.

Get the driver cut down a bit, and ask a fitter to recommend what length. Makes your drives much more accurate and controllable

I also bought and enjoyed the Taylormade RBZ when I upgraded my set from a cheapo driver, and loved it before settling on the Nike.

As others said, you can't go wrong with the new majors.

Back on the rebound

Goals for 2016:

• Single figures by 2077 (current 10.1) damn chopper

• Single figures (official GA) finally!! 9.4

What’s in the Bag?:

• Nike Covert 2 - with stock stiff
  • Taylormade UDI ... 3 iron back in the bag 
  • Cobra Fly Z 3/4
  • Mizuno JPX 825 pro 4-pw with KBS Tour Shafts
  • Cleveland RTX 588 tour wedge - 58 wedge bent to 60 degree
  • Mizuno MP T4 - 50 degree and 56 degree wedges
  • Taylormade spider putter
  • Clickgear buggy
  • Ball :
  • Vision 808 Pro Soft
  • Titleist NXT Tour 

Red = new / changes to set up

Achievements:

- GA in single figures finally!

#11 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20104 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

As others have alluded to ........... make sure the length of club is correct for you. (You can work it out for yourself if you like)

With your mates driver that you hit much better than your own ......... was it a shorter club?

In having a slightly shorter driver, its easier to get the ball out of the middle more consistently ... so you want a driver, any driver ........ to hit the vast majority of shots right out of the middle.

You can of course experiment with your existing driver .. just go to a range, choke down a tad on your driver, noting the new hand position ........ and belt some balls.

Move your hands slightly lower, taking note of their location on the grip .....  until you find them all coming right out the middle of the clubface.

When you find the ideal spot ...... that will be the length of driver you need.

After that, you can work out things like loft and shaft flex etc by experimenting with different clubs to get the ball flight you want ....... but having the right length club to start with is crucial I reckon.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational

2019 FNQ Invitational Series
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#12 notgoodatgolf

notgoodatgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Not in any position to give advice but, like i was saying to a mate who only recently started playing, I suggested he give it a go from the start coz as a beginner, I don't hink he will be any worse off as he struggles with his ball striking anyway. When I first started playing about 4-5 years ago i took the same view and rather than play around with long irons or even the old small headed drivers I took the plunge on a half decent 460cc driver and whilst i struggled around for a while, the more i used it the better I got to the stage where the driver is by far my best and most consistent club and it's a massive bonus when you're playing the longer courses with massive long par 4's, reaching or close to reaching par 5's in two. FYI, I started with the Mizuno MX 560 which was good as it had the built in offset which helped with slices... Just a warning though, stay away from the cheapo brand drivers which are made from cheap material (ie dunlop), ur better off getting an older model made by the better brands which will cost about the same...

#13 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9877 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

For someone shooting over 100 any driver with 12 degrees of loft or more would be a good choice. Plenty of forgiveness and will help get some carry.

If it comes with a stock shaft probably a stiff because they are generally pretty whippy anyway :)

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

#14 Manikato

Manikato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

Still loving mine. So easy to use.

#15 Manikato

Manikato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

Oops replied to wrong thread. But that said still loving my razr fit driver as well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users