80 replies to this topic

#76 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:00 PM

best to talk with the pro giving lessons about whether or not you need thick grips, see what he says.

Feels better already for me to be honest... had a lesson tonight and he said it was fine. With the standard grips my fingers were touching my palms which would indicate it's too thin. Not sure if it's all upstairs but the thicket grip makes me feel much more in control of it.. not sure why.

• Bogey Golfer and xrman1954 like this

#77 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:35 PM

Played a few round recently, tried using my old mans old driver. It has a shorter shaft (despite him being 6ft6 thought would be longer than mine), and feels like it has a bit more weight in the head. I seem to be squaring the face up quicker with it and finding a lot more fair ways. Still have the odd one where I get a bit loose and the hands open right up goes flying right, but probably finding 2/3 fairways the last 2 rounds with it, as opposed to basically none.

Yesterdays round started horrifically, couldn't find a fairway to start and the irons were cutting a fair bit. Started with 55 on the front, couldn't get much worse and then had a 44 on the back. Difference was finding more fairways, the long irons were still off but at least they were up there and i could chip on and 2 putt for a bogey. Was like 2 different golfers.

Got the first handicap and I got to say I am a little confused. It's 16.1 when my best round I put in was a 97. So i expect I'll blow that right out and will be a little bit until I have a hc I can play too.

• xrman1954 likes this

#78 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:25 PM

saw that you are having trouble in the soft sand at Cranbourne.

try this bunker tip.

it was filmed on 5th hole at my club.

https://www.youtube....nYVACF8s&t=213s

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#79 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:54 PM

saw that you are having trouble in the soft sand at Cranbourne.

try this bunker tip.

it was filmed on 5th hole at my club.

https://www.youtube....nYVACF8s&t=213s

Thanks for that it's a good vid! I think overall I am reasonable in the bunkers.. They are high at cranny so occasionally don't give it enough loft to get out..

There is a particular type of bunker shot that makes me nervous but i don't think i've done a great job of explaining it on the other site. The greens aren't that big at cranny so often when getting out of a bunker you need to stop it quite quickly or there's a risk of running off the other side. And the bunkers can be quite deep in a sense that they go far back so some bunker shots you could be having to carry and lift it 5+ meters (it seems anyway) to just get it out then stop it ..

Need to get enough height essentially as if you were chipping over a bunker onto the green... Next time I'm on the course I'll try and take a photo of the type of bunker shot that can give me grief .

#80 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for that it's a good vid! I think overall I am reasonable in the bunkers.. They are high at cranny so occasionally don't give it enough loft to get out..

There is a particular type of bunker shot that makes me nervous but i don't think i've done a great job of explaining it on the other site. The greens aren't that big at cranny so often when getting out of a bunker you need to stop it quite quickly or there's a risk of running off the other side. And the bunkers can be quite deep in a sense that they go far back so some bunker shots you could be having to carry and lift it 5+ meters (it seems anyway) to just get it out then stop it ..

Need to get enough height essentially as if you were chipping over a bunker onto the green... Next time I'm on the course I'll try and take a photo of the type of bunker shot that can give me grief .

Do you mean the bunker shots like on 3rd, 7th, 12 th 16th where long bunker shot are from bunkers about 20 to 30 m from green, so have 2 get out first  and then stop on green.?  I remember the bunkers on 12th long par 3 up hill are very difficult.

yes you are nodding. ?

On these long 20 to 30m bunkers , best way is to club so you dont go in them, if you do find them try hitting with a Pw or 9 iron, open face hit like a normal bunker shot, they will carry out lower so aim away from flag onto front or fat part of green.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#81 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:27 AM

My take on high lipped bunkers, especially if the green is narrow and there is another bunker on the other side, is to look for an easier way out. This could be sideways, backwards etc with the primary goal goal of just getting out. The secondary goal is to land the ball onto a place where I have an easy chip onto as much green as possible at a safe angle to avoid the other bunker. You can even use a putter to knock it out over the bunker edge if the shape of the lip allows.

I don't get much practice with bunkers at my local course ( not that many of them and I play to avoid them) but the quality of the " sand" is variable from firm to rock hard. There is sometimes a few centimetres of loose stuff on top. Using a high bounce wedge can lead to a "skulled" shot, when the bounce hits the hard stuff underneath and then rises quickly to hit the back of the ball. So I usually dig with my toe near the ball to assess the depth of sand prior to planning the shot/ club selection.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users