hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

longy is a great track…..

vossy, how did the boys go?

“I work with retards, Those goofy bastards are about the best thing I’ve got going.” – Pat Healy – “There’s Something About Mary”

Solid performance to start the season Hackpro , 5/2 win. As per usual the Division will be littered with 4/3 & 3/4 results so the boys are happy to get away to a good start..

“Golf is played between the ears”

cool mate thanks

#32 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3417 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Jon…. not sure of the details involving Kingswood. Can you elaborate a little? Looks like the amalgamation is about to happen, Kingswood have pushed hard to be swallowed up by Peninsula and it is set to become reality. Might help some of the struggling clubs around Dingley with the spill of members that don't want to go abit further down the freeway to play in the future ! The real loser here is LI and now they will have to wait until the funds run out to know their future direction. Jon...

#33 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1660 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Jon…. not sure of the details involving Kingswood. Can you elaborate a little?

Looks like the amalgamation is about to happen, Kingswood have pushed hard to be swallowed up by Peninsula and it is set to become reality. Might help some of the struggling clubs around Dingley with the spill of members that don’t want to go abit further down the freeway to play in the future !
The real loser here is LI and now they will have to wait until the funds run out to know their future direction.
Jon…

Cheers Jon..... agree, very interesting scenario for our district.

#34 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:51 AM

I was only saying to someone yesterday that if 1 or more of SV, WL, KW, KB, RD, STH, PR & LI ceased to trade it could solve the excess supply problem and do wonders for the clubs that are left
  • johnno31 likes this

#35 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11269 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

I heard again last night, that a Keysbourgh / Rossdale merge is on the cards? This time from a fairly reliable source?

#36 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

Played Southern today. Was very impressed. The fairways were superb. The greens had quite a lot of pitch mark damage but they all ran quick and true. Loved the bunkering on the course with some fairly strategically placed fairway bunkers. I could imagine the layout would get a bit boring after a while, majority of the holes are just straight with only a few dog legs. The hole club just has a great feel to it as you drive in. As you would expect the clubhouse is pretty good, plenty of room in the spike bar. Due to my inability to make a decision I think I might end up joining here untill I work out what I'm doing (no joining fee), I'm hoping I can get into a Tier 1 club mainly because they are so much closer to the city so I'll keep playing Southern untill I have the contacts to go elsewhere.

#37 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11269 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Hope it goes well for you mate!

#38 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2895 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Jon…. not sure of the details involving Kingswood. Can you elaborate a little?

Looks like the amalgamation is about to happen, Kingswood have pushed hard to be swallowed up by Peninsula and it is set to become reality. Might help some of the struggling clubs around Dingley with the spill of members that don’t want to go abit further down the freeway to play in the future !
The real loser here is LI and now they will have to wait until the funds run out to know their future direction.
Jon…

LI ain't no loser at all because people don't know the full story.LI don't need Pennisula. People should get their facts right, in actual fact after the last meeting LI is sitting in good shape and with a new project in the pipe. LI is going to be sitting really pretty to the extent in a few years down the track they can replace the club house and have longengevity of the club, LI will be around for years to come. So funny a club recognises an ecconomical crisis that all clubs are down 20% and decide to act on this before the club does get into an finanicial crisis in years to come. It's blows out to some BS story in industry they are in trouble. LI have very smart men on the board who have a corporate governance in place to get through the ecconomic crisis and build on memebers. Yes they have had to do no joining fees and that BS to be competitive in the market place to obtain members, because our neighbours across the road are feeling the pink and drop their memberships so we had to as well to be competitive. How ever our 7 day membership is at good solid numbers, LI is now building on more 6 and 5 day members is where it was down from usual but back on the rise. LI future is looking bright and things are not as bad as some people are trying to make out.

#39 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Long Island is not in trouble!

#40 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3169 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

It is more than the economic crisis Zen, take up off memberships in clubs is declining with casualisation of golfers and with over supply in the marketplace particularly in Melbourne some rationalization will happen. If you have declining revenues the only thing that can happen is declining service in the clubhouse, assets not being replaced when their depreciated life is over and a decline in the condition of the course. This becomes a catch 22, hard to attract new members if the course is not well presented and the facilities look tired. I wish all clubs well but eventually some hard decisions will have to be made unless we suddenly have an upsurge in golfers seeking membership which I doubt given the motivations and opportunities for other leisure pursuits in society today. I have 3 children who show no interest in golf, it has not been from lake of effort on my part.

#41 LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

I played Southern a month ago and couldn't believe how good it has become over the last 10 years + since I was there. The rate to get on was $60 (try getting better value than that on the Sandbelt) and the course was an absolute treat. Just my $0.02 from a country boy.

#42 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

Update. I have put in an application to Southern. At $1800 a year for a six day membership with no joining fee it was hard to so no. They are fast tracking my membership so hopefully will be able to play next week. Thanks for everyone's input it was much appreciated. Any other Southern members here??

#43 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37952 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

Tiger'......I'm an "Associate member" at Southern through my work golf club. We played there today and it's in great nick. The club spend a lot on the small details..........they have a worker blowing leaves and bark, from trees, off the fairways. I had an 82 off the stick there and very happy to play around my handicap when I visit. Good choice..... in my opinion.

#44 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

Update. I have put in an application to Southern. At $1800 a year for a six day membership with no joining fee it was hard to so no. They are fast tracking my membership so hopefully will be able to play next week. Thanks for everyone's input it was much appreciated. Any other Southern members here??

Bumped This

Is there any special membership deal in Southern this year ?

#45 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37952 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Bumped This

Is there any special membership deal in Southern this year ?

I'm playing at Southern on Monday, elimb.   I'll make enquiries.

• Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users