Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

interesting thread

#17 Hunstman

Hunstman

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

There appears to be a lot of misinformation about SV flying around here (comments in bold):

The SV clubhouse does not have a great view of the course from inside and the main members area looks like a Novatel lobby. The clubhouse has views of the 9th green, 1st tee, 18th hole and 10th hole - depending on where you are in the clubhouse.
You are then seated in a cafe style small room which is also part of the pro shop and don’t get the course aspect from there, infact it gets a little crowded at times. The spike bar seats about 50, but the members lounge is adjacent and can accommodate another 60 or so. For the money they spent on the new clubhouse, it could have been done so much better. Perhaps they could have - but the manager who oversaw the renovation at Woodlands also oversaw the construction at SV. In fact, that was a major reason Woodlands went after him. SV spent a loss less money on their clubhouse than Woodlands
No loo upstairs either ! Yes there is - you didn't look very hard or ask one of the members or staff
The practise fairway and chipping area is very short and small, gets very congested at times. Spring Valley has two practice fairways - one which was purpose built a few years ago next to the drive in from Heatherton Road. The old 10th green is an excellent chipping and bunker facility. The old practice fairway and practice chipping green are still in use. The VIS use the facilities. Most people would argue that the practice facilities at SV are second to none. They still have a water storage problem during prolonged drought conditions as was seen acouple of years ago when they hosted a Vic open. The only time the club had a water shortage was after the Vic Open in 2009. That was the summer which resulted in Black Saturday the following week. The week of the Vic Open has 4 or 5 consecutive days above 38 degrees. A huge amount of water was pumped into the course to keep it up to tournament standard - at the end of an extended dry period. Any club in Melbourne at the time would have had similar issues if holding a tournament, and many clubs including RM had no water at the time. SV has four water storage dams (including a new dam built 18 months ago). Other local clubs have taken steps to avoid those problems happening again.
Having modern facilities will always help a club gain the corporate dollars. Golf clubs are multi million dollar businesses nowdays and need to attract external dollars to survive. The day of the dank, dark old clubrooms is being replaced by the majority of modern thinking committees KH, Metro, Huntingdale, Comm, Woodlands to mention afew.
Just some examples, Jon…
ps: Woodlands is ranked 12 in Oz and 5 in Vic btw, just sayin :)

#18 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

Well Hunstman is right. Intro your self to me this Friday's nine and dine mate. How would you reconise me ? I will be the winner for the second nine. Bottle of SV shiraz coming up !

#19 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2849 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

Well Hunstman is right. Intro your self to me this Friday’s nine and dine mate.
How would you reconise me ?

I will be the winner for the second nine. Bottle of SV shiraz coming up !

ellimb

My hovercraft is full of eels?

#20 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

Pardon vinum ! Are U saying don't count your chicken ...... !

#21 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

We were down at Long Island for GV Pennant Sunday and the golf course was a treat. Sensational condition with immaculate fairways with smooth fast greens. I repeat from previous threads that this course is one of the most underated courses in Melb'ne. The layout and set up is in comparison to SV in a lot of ways but it is a credit to this club to get the course in such prestine condition on a regular basis.

#22 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

We were down at Long Island for GV Pennant Sunday and the golf course was a treat. Sensational condition with immaculate fairways with smooth fast greens. I repeat from previous threads that this course is one of the most underated courses in Melb’ne. The layout and set up is in comparison to SV in a lot of ways but it is a credit to this club to get the course in such prestine condition on a regular basis.

“Golf is played between the ears”

Isn't that their job?

#23 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

Okay going to throw a curve ball into the mix. Going to check out Southern on Friday, have been offered no joining fee and really attractive rates for under 35. Joining here is a real possibility, even if it's just for 12 months, I haven't even moved yet so probably best to wait untill I'm settled somewhere before i pony up an entrance fee somewhere.

#24 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37811 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

Going to check out Southern on Friday, have been offered no joining fee and really attractive rates for under 35.

Joining here is a real possibility, even if it’s just for 12 months,

I'd be interested to see what you think of it, TB.

#25 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3329 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

Interesting first post Huntsman, I have had to sit in the main members area because the cafe was full and couldn't see a thing. The lack of things golf related on the walls could be addressed too. Woodlands totally rebuilt their clubhouse too from the ground up the same as SV, so the comparison is chalk and cheese with regards to the vistas created at one course and not the other. I have also noticed that it's hard to see only the 9th and 1st tee when anyone is sitting outside in the patio area. Not sure where the loo is upstairs, but it must be well hidden way down the other end. As for the practise fairway, it is short and small. The old 10th green facility is a ripper and was a great par 3, I'm guessing that it's about a 200 to 250 metre walk from the practise fairway over and the new driving range is a car ride of about 1 km or so back down the side entrance road ? Poa greens will drink alot of water, especially during drought conditions. As I pointed out most have allowed for future droughts by upgrading water storage, glad to hear of the extra dam. Jon... ps: Tiger, Sthn have just reintroduced their joining fee structure, not sure if it effects under 35s ?

#26 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3329 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

We were down at Long Island for GV Pennant Sunday and the golf course was a treat. Sensational condition with immaculate fairways with smooth fast greens. I repeat from previous threads that this course is one of the most underated courses in Melb’ne. The layout and set up is in comparison to SV in a lot of ways but it is a credit to this club to get the course in such prestine condition on a regular basis.

Vossy, I agree it is underated. The clubhouse needs attention though and without the funds will struggle to attract new members at a constant rate. Infact several members jumped the fence last week for greener pastures. Looks like the Kingswood thing will go ahead now and should be fully resolved within afew weeks aswell. Jon...

#27 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Jon, I double checked with the membership managet before i booked my round.

#28 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

longy is a great track..... vossy, how did the boys go?

#29 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

longy is a great track…..

vossy, how did the boys go?

“I work with retards, Those goofy bastards are about the best thing I’ve got going.” – Pat Healy – “There’s Something About Mary”

Solid performance to start the season Hackpro , 5/2 win. As per usual the Division will be littered with 4/3 & 3/4 results so the boys are happy to get away to a good start..

#30 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Vossy, I agree it is underated. The clubhouse needs attention though and without the funds will struggle to attract new members at a constant rate. Infact several members jumped the fence last week for greener pastures. Looks like the Kingswood thing will go ahead now and should be fully resolved within afew weeks aswell.
Jon…

Cheers Jon.... not sure of the details involving Kingswood. Can you elaborate a little?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users