#1 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

Yeah I know yet another Sandbelt club comparison. Here's the deal, I'm moving in a few months, most likely to South Melbourne or Southbank so I'm on the hunt for a new club. Mainly looking towards the Sandbelt. So I'v narrowed it down to the three I'v mentioned. Here's some brief points. Woodlands. * 33 mins from my location * Reputation speaks for itself * Discounted joining fee and subs for under 35's * Have heard discouraging reports of routing issues and a poa infestation on their greens, can anyone comment on this? Spring Valley * 27 mins from my location * Joining fee and subs nearly same as Woodlands but comp fees included. * Is the smell an issue these days? Long Island * 37 mins from my location * No joining fee for six day members * Cheaper subs than the other two. Would appreciate any input from the Sandbelt regulars that lurk around here, I'm talking to you Hackpro, Zen, Golfguy33 etc. At the moment I'm leaning towards Spring Valley by a nose from Woodlands, but only because it's a few minutes closer. Cheers, TB

#2 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3169 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

Spring Valley by a nose, now that is funny re the dump. Woodlands would be my pick.

#3 Juggs Judy

Juggs Judy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

You should join Keysey (just wanted to get in first )

#4 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

They are about the same. The smell is no real prob now in Sp Valley, most of the members don't have a ego. Other services like food and drink prices are fair.

#5 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

spring valley would be my choice..... good facilities, challenging layout and generally almost always in great condition....

#6 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

spring valley would be my choice…..

good facilities, challenging layout and generally almost always in great condition….

“I work with retards, Those goofy bastards are about the best thing I’ve got going.” – Pat Healy – “There’s Something About Mary”

I agree with the hack. Playing week in, week out I'd prefer to play SV over WL.

#7 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3716 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

I must point out the whole package of each club when making a comparison. You will have to look at clubhouse and service, course layout, ( course condition all year round ) practise facilities, car parking, time sheet availability, members, water sources, social events and fees to name just afew aspects that make a top club. Unfortuneatly SV miss the mark on some of the important key factors and LI is not travelling along as some would think. LI also miss on acouple of major areas concerning golf and clubhouse. Membership is wanning at LI, Patriver and Rossdale which is not a healthy sign for several of the local clubs. The stronger clubs will get bigger, better and prosper down the track because they have a solid fee based structure. Have a good look around and I hope you make your decision because it all stacks up correctly for you, not because of afew hundred dollars saved in the short term ! Jon... ps : Huntingdale and Peninsula should also be in your bucket-list.

#8 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2916 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

Tigerblood, If you like I can tee up a game for you at LI and have a look around have a chat to the GM and the pro. The boys at LI are really laid back and great bunch of blokes, some enjoy a casual beer on the way round and like to stick around for a couple afterwards and a chat. I chose LI because the course and greens are kept in great condition all year round. During the week the greens are kept to a similar speed as the weekend is what one me over and also practice facilities being pretty good. Mate all courses have pro and cons to them all that matters is ensuring which ever course you chose you will be happy with and enjoy the company of the other members. It should feel like home, a place you walk into and you feel you belong.

#9 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the responses. Jon, I had access to Huntingdale but unfortunately they are not taking in members in my age group (I'm 31). Can get into Peninsula without proposers but once again they don't need members in my age group. Some valid points raised, but with timesheet pressure, not knowing anyone at these clubs I would imagine finding a single spot shouldn't be too hard. I'm playing Woodlands tomorrow and really looking forward to it. Zen, Long Island looks great, it's been highly recommended to me, I work in Construction so I will probably take advantage of their RDO green fee deals one day. Hoping to have played all three courses by the end of Easter then I will make a decision. Really appreciate the input guys, cheers. TB

#10 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Just got back from playing Woodlands. Really impressed with the place. The greens were super quick, the green surrounds were in superb nick and were nearly as good as the putting surface. Interesting layout with a few holes that require carefull club selection off the tee. Favourites of the day were the Par 4 4th hole, only 250 mtrs but one of the scariest looking greens, very narrow with about a 1.5 mtr near verticle drop off all edges! The Par 3 measuring at 197mtrs but playing to about 180 today! 3h off the tee was still too short. Of all the courses I'v looked at recently Woodlands is firmly at the top, keen to play LI soon as they have no joining fee at them moment so could seriously come into play.

#11 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3716 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

Tiger, what did you think of the practise fairway and the chipping/pitching and bunker area ? Hope you went into the new clubhouse and had some refreshments after your round. What did you think of the vistas looking out from the main bar ? Two top practise putting greens and nets close at hand for pre-round warm up. Can you see yourself on the terrace under one of the market umbrellas, talking about the round with the group and knocking afew down at the end of a pleasant sunday or monday ? If you are going to drive the extra bit and end up in Frankston then it will probably be worth the wait to get into Peninsula GC. Remember, you get what you pay for these days ! Jon... ps: sorry about the 14th green being out of play, should be back soon.

#12 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Absolutely I went in the clubhouse for a bevvy it was 35 degrees! Very nice clubhouse, think they did a brilliant job considering some of the heritage listed features that had to be worked around. Only had a putt on the green off the side, the huge one out the front was all roped off. No need to apologize for the green, looks like it's nearly ready to go though. For those wondering one night some pricks tore up the green well and good on their dirt bikes. Woodlands is well and truly at the top of my list, apparently the building levy only has a couple years to go to yeah?

#13 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2916 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

Tigerblood, Great to hear you enjoyed Woodlands, a good challenging golf course and great fun to play:) If you would like a game a LI drop us an email and I'll tee up a game for you. I can get you on for $25 for 18 holes. To clear the air as well LI isn't in the red either, yeah our club house is old for me I don't care it has the home feel to it, I like walking in and seeing the history, the club house tells a story about the the golf club and members I like that. But having a flash club house, that doesn't make it a great golf club. The members and culture does. They have a really good culture down there and great people to socialize with on and off the golf course. They make you feel part of their community down there and I like that. No snobbery they welcome any person down there. Any way the truth is all that has happened is few members passed away and a few left so the truth is we are down from last years profits as a result. Although the club is seeking out to replace the members we have lost and they are back in front. It's kind of funny how the story has escalated into they are in trouble though. Gotta love Chinese whispers lol. The golf course it's self, is ranked 57th in Australia, what I like about it is the scenery, it has that being out in the country or bush feel about it. Being a country boy I like this feel. It's really peaceful , quite and very relaxed atmosphere out on the golf course, you feel relaxed out there. For me it's an escape from the hussel and bussel of the city life for four hours and you enjoy the challenge of the golf course on the way. The club prides themselves on the quality of the golf course and the greens have a rep of being one of the best in Victoria. If you would like a game Tigerblood drop us a email happy to show you around :)
  • voss likes this

#14 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

clubhouse and service, course layout,
( course condition all year round ) practise facilities, car parking, time sheet availability, members, water sources, social events and fees to name just afew aspects that make a top club.
Unfortuneatly SV miss the mark on some of the important key factors and LI is not travelling along as some would think. GG33 SV miss the mark on which aspects ? Please explain. I'm not a member there.

#15 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3716 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

The SV clubhouse does not have a great view of the course from inside and the main members area looks like a Novatel lobby. You are then seated in a cafe style small room which is also part of the pro shop and don't get the course aspect from there, infact it gets a little crowded at times. For the money they spent on the new clubhouse, it could have been done so much better. No loo upstairs either ! The practise fairway and chipping area is very short and small, gets very congested at times. They still have a water storage problem during prolonged drought conditions as was seen acouple of years ago when they hosted a Vic open. Other local clubs have taken steps to avoid those problems happening again. Having modern facilities will always help a club gain the corporate dollars. Golf clubs are multi million dollar businesses nowdays and need to attract external dollars to survive. The day of the dank, dark old clubrooms is being replaced by the majority of modern thinking committees KH, Metro, Huntingdale, Comm, Woodlands to mention afew. Just some examples, Jon... ps: Woodlands is ranked 12 in Oz and 5 in Vic btw, just sayin :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users