#46 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Francie,
I would love to hear what you thought of woodlands. I played there 3 weeks ago and loved it. However I’m going on Victoria purely on my coaches word and how it looked from the car park.

Watch this space…next Wednesday and I’ll let you know.

9/10/12 – Hole In One – 7th Hole Portsea GC
2012 (Official) Winner of Inaugural ISG Nat. Champs.
2011 Inaugural winner Vict. Order of Merit Putting Champion – Long Island

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Well bone19, I played Woodlands yesterday with Deanojg. I was a little dissapointed with it’s condition in comparrison to how I have played it in the past.

Both the greens on the par 5 fifth and par 4 14th had temporary greens. They had obviously re-grassed the 5th and it was roped off but the 14th was being ripped up yesterday.

I’m not sure why they are doing that at this time of the year but I would have thought that was a mid year task. Maybe the grass will knit quicker at this time of the year but they are both going to be out of action, IMHO, until christmas. I know that wont affect you joining down the track, but if it’s condition you are looking at all year round then Victoria is the pick.

The course played tough yesterday as they hadn’t watered the greens and it was very windy. The pace of the greens were “right up there” but they were patchy in places. Probably next month they will be perfect but on yesterday’s condition, I was a little disappointed.

They had vandals come in the other night and rip up the greens on dirt bikes. I seriously don't understand what sort of person would find this kind of behaviour fun or acceptable.

#47 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38110 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Oh, I didn't know that D4S. Unfortunately this world is full of people who have no respect for other people or property.

#48 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

Oh, I didn’t know that D4S. Unfortunately this world is full of people who have no respect for other people or property.

that is indeed sh$thouse... hopefully they can take the opportunity to make their greens larger for some of us less accurate folks :)

#49 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:17 AM

Which is why god invented private clubs in the first place

#50 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

thanks Francie. i am back home in december and will play woodlands again, im sure it will be in better nick by then. i will also take some earlier advice and try and get a round and maybe a lesson at victoria

#51 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

Played Woodlands today.. So it looks like the 6th green might bounce back ok from the vandalism but the 14th has been ripped up and is a full re-build. The course was overall in good condition but like Francie said the greens were a little patchy in parts. Still nice and true to putt on them. One thing I really noticed today was how small the greens were. Definitely doesn't suit my game so wouldn't want to play there week in, week out but that may suit others. Final thing I noted (and very important) is that they have the 2nd bet golf course sandwich in VIC behind The National.

#52 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

It also looks like they are building a 19th hole behind the 16th which is a huge advantage. Although in kind of looks like they got half way through it then stopped.

#53 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38110 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

It also looks like they are building a 19th hole behind the 16th which is a huge advantage. Although in kind of looks like they got half way through it then stopped.

Titleist 910D3 Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 910Fd Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 909H Adilda Voodoo
Titleist 710 AP1 Nippon NS Pro 105T
Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport
Pro V1x

Yes we were wondering about that, D4S. Do you think it will be a short par 3, as the 19th hole or do you think they might extend the length of 16 to a par 5???

#54 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Titleist 910D3 Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 910Fd Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 909H Adilda Voodoo
Titleist 710 AP1 Nippon NS Pro 105T
Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport
Pro V1x

Yes we were wondering about that, D4S. Do you think it will be a short par 3, as the 19th hole or do you think they might extend the length of 16 to a par 5???

It looks like it will be a 150-180m par 3. I don't remember work being started when I played there this time last year, but it looks as if they haven't worked on it for a month or two. Would make a lot of sense to include a decent course-quality 19th as they have the land, the routing of the hole works and it allows then to take holes out to make changes or to give them a rest. With the vandalism on 14 they are probably wishing they had already finished it.

#55 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:03 PM

thanks Francie. i am back home in december and will play woodlands again, im sure it will be in better nick by then. i will also take some earlier advice and try and get a round and maybe a lesson at victoria

So it's been a few years now. Have you moved back and which club did you end up joining?

Fulfilling my dream to play Australia's Top 100

AGD 2018 - 95 played

AGD 2016 - 100 played

AGD 2014 - 100 played

GA - 2018 - 98 played

GA - 2016 - 97 played

GA - 2014 - 99 played

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users