54 replies to this topic

#31 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

fat, middle aged, thinning hair, alcoholic and no dress sense. The "Club Golfer"

#32 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

In reading this thread it all boils down to your playability and ambitions. If you want a club that is more prestigious or a club that prides itself on competition then the decision is yours. Some prestigious sand belt clubs have very small weekend fields whereas other clubs are very competitive. As mentioned, if you are a low handicapper and considering pennant then some sand belt clubs will suit. In your position I would consider the second tier clubs as the best option. Most are straight in & minimal joining fees.

#33 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

fat, middle aged, thinning hair, alcoholic and no dress sense.

The “Club Golfer”

Northener ..... where have you been ??? obviously not at a private club !!

#34 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Haha, I have seen some fashions on the best private clubs that would curdle milk

#35 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Haha, I have seen some fashions on the best private clubs that would curdle milk

Granted Northener .... good comeback on that one :)

#36 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

John Daly has a lot to answer for

#37 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Might be surprised. Not as bad as all that.

If you are a decent golfer and a decent bloke the doors will always open if you ask nicely.

That is complete rubbish unless you are going to be a ring in for their pennant side.

Also utter rubbish from someone who I’m guessing isn’t a member at one of the courses he seems to be an expert in membership policy in….

You guess wrong. Should have trolled better.

Bones, it seems my matter of fact advice was too strong for some on here. I assessed your circumstances, and gave you the advice based on full knowledge of all of your options. It’s the internet – ignore it if you wish – some have tried to discredit it already.

Personally, I wouldn’t have the energy to waste time going down what may be the fantasy yellow brick road of membership at Tier 1 courses, from interstate, knowing no one. Sure there are examples of people that have got in knowing zippo – but is it the norm or even likely, let alone from Perth, no.

Woodlands is a great course, just join it.

that wasn't a troll... just pointing out a fact that what you were talking about was utter rubbish... which is what you did... You've stated in about three posts your opinion to join woodlands, he's listened and yet, you still need to make a point about it by trashing other people's posts... is he supposed to reply "yes master, what an excellent idea, I will now close myself to any other opinions and hopes of joining everywhere else, because you said so?" the guy has posted here for advice, you've given yours, stop being a ***** about others giving theirs...

#38 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

If you are a decent golfer and a decent bloke the doors will always open if you ask nicely.

That is complete rubbish unless you are going to be a ring in for their pennant side.

Also utter rubbish from someone who I’m guessing isn’t a member at one of the courses he seems to be an expert in membership policy in….

You guess wrong. Should have trolled better.

Bones, it seems my matter of fact advice was too strong for some on here. I assessed your circumstances, and gave you the advice based on full knowledge of all of your options. It’s the internet – ignore it if you wish – some have tried to discredit it already.

Personally, I wouldn’t have the energy to waste time going down what may be the fantasy yellow brick road of membership at Tier 1 courses, from interstate, knowing no one. Sure there are examples of people that have got in knowing zippo – but is it the norm or even likely, let alone from Perth, no.

Woodlands is a great course, just join it.

Out of interest, where are you a member?

#39 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

that wasn’t a troll… just pointing out a fact that what you were talking about was utter rubbish… which is what you did…

You’ve stated in about three posts your opinion to join woodlands, he’s listened and yet, you still need to make a point about it by trashing other people’s posts… is he supposed to reply “yes master, what an excellent idea, I will now close myself to any other opinions and hopes of joining everywhere else, because you said so?”

the guy has posted here for advice, you’ve given yours, stop being a ***** about others giving theirs…

You can't seem to handle matter of fact advice which stops people wasting their time. I'm sure Bones is perfectly capable of weighing up all the advice he receives on an internet forum without you managing the debate. D4S - sometimes people like to comment on courses, financials, mgmt, rumours etc and sometimes that doesn't go down too well with those courses. Thus, while I respect your right to divulge where you are a member, we must equally respect those that choose not to, so that spirited discussion and debate can continue without fear of censorship and reprisal. Another problem with divulgence is for you to look no further than ex-pest Hackpro's treatment of your membership when he wanted to have a discussion with you on the Huntingdale front putter. I simply choose not to have to deal with cr@p like that.

#40 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

that wasn’t a troll… just pointing out a fact that what you were talking about was utter rubbish… which is what you did…

You’ve stated in about three posts your opinion to join woodlands, he’s listened and yet, you still need to make a point about it by trashing other people’s posts… is he supposed to reply “yes master, what an excellent idea, I will now close myself to any other opinions and hopes of joining everywhere else, because you said so?”

the guy has posted here for advice, you’ve given yours, stop being a ***** about others giving theirs…

You can’t seem to handle matter of fact advice which stops people wasting their time.

I’m sure Bones is perfectly capable of weighing up all the advice he receives on an internet forum without you managing the debate.

D4S – sometimes people like to comment on courses, financials, mgmt, rumours etc and sometimes that doesn’t go down too well with those courses. Thus, while I respect your right to divulge where you are a member, we must equally respect those that choose not to, so that spirited discussion and debate can continue without fear of censorship and reprisal.

Another problem with divulgence is for you to look no further than ex-pest Hackpro’s treatment of your membership when he wanted to have a discussion with you on the Huntingdale front putter. I simply choose not to have to deal with cr@p like that.

It's only an issue if you take this place too seriously... In the Hackpro case I treated it for what he is... a joke. Open up mate, it's really not as complex as you make out.

#41 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

Never understand the issue of divulging where you play or your handicap on here. Its hardly a matter of national security...

#42 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

Never understand the issue of divulging where you play or your handicap on here. Its hardly a matter of national security…

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Agreed.

#43 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationYou stay classy Melbourne

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

It's a bit off topic sorry (but so has everyone else's squabbling) but what courses do people actually consider "sandbelt" courses and what qualifies a course as a "sandbelt" course? http://www.thesandbe...ome/index.mhtml Lists the sandbelt courses as Commonwealth Huntingdale Kingston Heath Metropolitan Peninsula Royal Melbourne Victoria Yarra Yarra Some people throw Woodlands into the mix. To a lesser extent Spring Valley, Kingswood and Long Island also get mentioned. Woodlands no doubt has the best claim to be included as it was originally laid out by Sam Bennett (of Commonwealth fame) and Michael Morcom from RM constructing the bunkers. So what do you think? Should Cheltenham golf club and Sandringham golf club also be sandbelt clubs because they are right next to Vic and RM?

#44 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

It’s a bit off topic sorry (but so has everyone else’s squabbling) but what courses do people actually consider “sandbelt” courses and what qualifies a course as a “sandbelt” course?

http://www.thesandbelt.com/...

Lists the sandbelt courses as

Commonwealth
Huntingdale
Kingston Heath
Metropolitan
Peninsula
Royal Melbourne
Victoria
Yarra Yarra

Some people throw Woodlands into the mix. To a lesser extent Spring Valley, Kingswood and Long Island also get mentioned.

Woodlands no doubt has the best claim to be included as it was originally laid out by Sam Bennett (of Commonwealth fame) and Michael Morcom from RM constructing the bunkers.

So what do you think? Should Cheltenham golf club and Sandringham golf club also be sandbelt clubs because they are right next to Vic and RM?

Well technically all those courses are 'sandbelt' courses, because as the name suggests, they are situated on a sand base as opposed to a clay base. But when it comes to the 'Melbourne Sandbelt', it refers more to the exlcusive clique to which there is a degree of reciprocity. If any club was going to be added to the 'Melbourne Sandbelt' then it would probably be Woodlands.

#45 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38110 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Thanks Francie,
I would love to hear what you thought of woodlands. I played there 3 weeks ago and loved it. However I’m going on Victoria purely on my coaches word and how it looked from the car park.

Watch this space…next Wednesday and I’ll let you know.

9/10/12 – Hole In One – 7th Hole Portsea GC
2012 (Official) Winner of Inaugural ISG Nat. Champs.
2011 Inaugural winner Vict. Order of Merit Putting Champion – Long Island

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Well bone19, I played Woodlands yesterday with Deanojg. I was a little dissapointed with it's condition in comparrison to how I have played it in the past. Both the greens on the par 5 fifth and par 4 14th had temporary greens. They had obviously re-grassed the 5th and it was roped off but the 14th was being ripped up yesterday. I'm not sure why they are doing that at this time of the year but I would have thought that was a mid year task. Maybe the grass will knit quicker at this time of the year but they are both going to be out of action, IMHO, until christmas. I know that wont affect you joining down the track, but if it's condition you are looking at all year round then Victoria is the pick. The course played tough yesterday as they hadn't watered the greens and it was very windy. The pace of the greens were "right up there" but they were patchy in places. Probably next month they will be perfect but on yesterday's condition, I was a little disappointed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users