54 replies to this topic

#16 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Because you don’t know anyone, and you live in a different State so have no network to know anyone. You’ll find a million people on here that will happily put you up to Keysy, Southern, Spring Valley etc (2nd tier type clubs) without knowing anyone, but good luck finding 2 people at Vic, RM or KH (the holy top tier) that don’t know you at all, but are willing to flout their membership rules and put you up. Won’t happen, so save yourself some pain.

Woodlands is a great course and you’ll be able to play there the rest of your life without regret.

as i said, i did truely enjoy my few days at Woodlands and would be more than happy to join there when time comes to return home. i just wanted to get some opinions of people who had played woodlands and vic/metro etc. if i cant pass their nomination process then my choice is simple.

You really can't go wrong at any of the courses you mentioned so it really comes down to convenience, location and cost. Of all the Sandbelt, Woodlands and Spring Valley (one to consider also) will be easiest to get into. If I was to move clubs it would be to Kingston Heath. I played Metro a few weeks ago and it just didn't excite me. They are building a brand new clubhouse so they are in a little bit of a transition stage. I've spruiked this a number of times now Commonwealth has great young member prices at the moment. But if your decision is Victoria V Woodlands here's how I score them: Course - Just about even but maybe just VIC on condition. I find WL a bit tougher/tighter though. Clubhouse - Woodlands. A couple years old and just more user friendly than Vic. Practice range - Victoria. Range has recently been renovated. Practice chipper - Victoria. More convenient and better conditioned. Practice green - Victoria. Better reflection of on-course greens. Ambience - Vic. I only included this because the planes from Moorabbin Airport can be annoying at Woodlands.

#17 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

Thanks D4S. thats the sort of infor i was hoping for.

#18 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationYou stay classy Melbourne

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

Another thing to consider is that (last time I heard) there is a waiting list at Vic of about 3 - 4 years at the moment. So even if you did manage to find a couple of people to nominate you, it could be a long time before you got to join there.

#19 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

Another thing to consider is that (last time I heard) there is a waiting list at Vic of about 3 – 4 years at the moment.

So even if you did manage to find a couple of people to nominate you, it could be a long time before you got to join there.

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine at Kingston Heath. Completed the form, had a round of golf with the captain and went into the office after the round and the captain said 'Everything is above board here, now it will be about 5 years wait". My friend got in 18 months later though.

#20 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

the membership manager at victoria told me the current waiting list is 2-3 years from the date i pass the nomination/interegation phase

#21 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

Might be surprised. Not as bad as all that.

If you are a decent golfer and a decent bloke the doors will always open if you ask nicely.

That is complete rubbish unless you are going to be a ring in for their pennant side.

#22 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

If you are a decent golfer and a decent bloke the doors will always open if you ask nicely.

That is complete rubbish unless you are going to be a ring in for their pennant side.

Also utter rubbish from someone who I'm guessing isn't a member at one of the courses he seems to be an expert in membership policy in.... If he meets one member who likes him, then getting in isn't anywhere near as hard as people think it is (if he loves golf and is a good bloke) If I were you and you were keen to join vic, try and get a game there as a visitor (could cost you a bit, you could use your perth address, or even book a stay and play package there), you can also get lessons from the club pro there, apart from meeting a few people (who may or may not want anything to do with you), you'll get a feel for the club and the course. (Ps. The waiting list at vic, kh and rm are a bit exaggerated, and what they tell you is to manage your expectations, it usually doesn't take as long as they say) You've got some great choices there, for mine, I would look at commonwealth (call the gm directly) and huntingdale (hit up d4s) who are currently looking. Both good courses, will have great clubhouses when huntingdale finishes their refurb, reciprocal rights at the other sandbelt clubs and those clubs are great clubs socially and professionaly for networking (depends what you do and if you're even interested) I don't mind woodlands, but its a bit tight for me and the greens are a bit small, its arugably a better course than comm and huntingdale, but not as fun to play imo. Metropolitan isn't very long, I like it but heaps of others don't, I find it has the best ambience of all the sandbelt clubs, some good holes but can be a bit flat... If I were being picky, maybe not as fun a club socially (footnote, haven't played there for a while now)... Kingswood great fun, good course, I find I lose too many balls there though (which isn't the kind of place I'd want to be a member at), certainly I'd go woodlands for free over there... I hope this is more useful than those above telling you how impossible things are, a lot of sh#t blokes here (might explain why its so difficult for them to find a decent club to play at)

#23 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10396 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Surely your current coach would know someone whom knows someone else? Loitering in the car park is pesky and would probably earn you a kick in the arse as opposed to meeting members there. Other people's opinions are just that, it's their's and not yours. The top tier belt courses are all of a great standard so go for a visit/play and make up your own mind.

#24 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Get a game Vic and go from there. Nothing is impossible, speak with as many people as possible at the club and ask questions. If you want get in you'll find a way despite what some say. A mate of mine got straight in through his cricket club (gun cricketer), part of his "package".

#25 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Ah, no actually, it is a fact. Clearly you are not one of our type

#26 TheWeekendGolfer

TheWeekendGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

"our type"

#27 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Well if I have to explain then clearly you arent :)

#28 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Also utter rubbish from someone who I’m guessing isn’t a member at one of the courses he seems to be an expert in membership policy in….

You guess wrong. Should have trolled better. Bones, it seems my matter of fact advice was too strong for some on here. I assessed your circumstances, and gave you the advice based on full knowledge of all of your options. It's the internet - ignore it if you wish - some have tried to discredit it already. Personally, I wouldn't have the energy to waste time going down what may be the fantasy yellow brick road of membership at Tier 1 courses, from interstate, knowing no one. Sure there are examples of people that have got in knowing zippo - but is it the norm or even likely, let alone from Perth, no. Woodlands is a great course, just join it.

#29 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Alas yes, there is always a bit of arse kissing required - so pucker up

#30 TheWeekendGolfer

TheWeekendGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

Well if I have to explain then clearly you arent :)

Well, yeah I am tickled enough to ask. What is the "type?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users