54 replies to this topic

#1 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

currently working in Perth but my home is in Cheltenham, Melbourne. Im considering working for 2-3 more years and then moving back. As most clubs in this area have at least a 12 month waiting list i thought i would look into my options in relation to club membership as most. being close to home is a must so i shortlisted, Victoria, Woodlands (free to join due to reciprical arrangement), Metropolitan, Kingswood and commonwealth. My coach says, i should try me best to get into Victoria or Metropolitan. My question to you learned folk is, asuming i can get to know 2-3 current members from Victoria or Metro, which i currently dont, are these two courses so much better than Woodlands that paying the joining fee would be worthwhile?

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25429 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

I played Sandhurst recently. Very nice course. I think the membership is something like $3300, no joining fee, no waiting.

#3 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

I didnt really enjoy Woodlands but is subjective of course. Metropolitan is very nice but a very long course. I believe Victoria is an awesome course but have never played it. Looks very nice to walk round, but a 10k buy in. How much money you got?

#4 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

$10k is big money in most people's language, but Victoria is only a 10min walk from my house and such a good course that i would like to try and justify it to myself. regardless of the cost, the most prohibitive factor at this stage is not knowing any members

#5 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

Sounds like Victoria then. I dont think i could live tere and not be able to play there or RM.

#6 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

i might start loitering in the carpark, see if i can befriend some old bloke/lady then ask them to nominate me

#7 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38192 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

are these two courses so much better than Woodlands that paying the joining fee would be worthwhile?

I think I've said this before, in comparing courses. (See thread on Woodlands Vs Commonwealth) It does come down a bit to personal like of how some of the courses play and are set up. I played at Victoria yesterday and it was set up with flags at the front and tee boxes forward. It played so differently to how it normally would and made it interesting, as some hazards that aren't normally reachable for the shorter hitters, now came in to play. It is usually in great condition and the greens do challenge.....depending on the speed and location of the pins. I'm sure this would be a great choice if you had the money and opportunity but you obviously have to weigh that up in your decision. If you have a low handicap you might be a chance to get in and play on their pennant side??? I'm playing Woodlands next Tuesday and I believe there has been a lot of work done there over the last few years. I'm looking forward to gracing the fairways again but, as with Victoria, Woodlands usually beats me up when I play there. If you are just going on condition, then I'm sure Victoria would win but Woodlands is not terrible. If you are factoring in cost and travel etc then you might have to do a list of "Pro and Cons" and see where that leaves you. Sorry bone', I may not have helped but good luck with whatever you come up with.

#8 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

Thanks Francie, I would love to hear what you thought of woodlands. I played there 3 weeks ago and loved it. However I'm going on Victoria purely on my coaches word and how it looked from the car park.

#9 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38192 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

Thanks Francie,
I would love to hear what you thought of woodlands. I played there 3 weeks ago and loved it. However I’m going on Victoria purely on my coaches word and how it looked from the car park.

Watch this space...next Wednesday and I'll let you know.

#10 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

Thanks Francie,
I would love to hear what you thought of woodlands. I played there 3 weeks ago and loved it. However I’m going on Victoria purely on my coaches word and how it looked from the car park.

Seriously, you must know how ridiculous that sounds. You played Woodlands, you loved it, you can join for free. I should have stopped reading after that.

#11 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

I agree that it sounds silly. But is it silly to do some research on a commitment that I will probably stick with for the rest of my life? Woodlands is the only course in the area I have played. Why wouldn't I want to find out if there is anything else which I like better?

#12 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

Because you don't know anyone, and you live in a different State so have no network to know anyone. You'll find a million people on here that will happily put you up to Keysy, Southern, Spring Valley etc (2nd tier type clubs) without knowing anyone, but good luck finding 2 people at Vic, RM or KH (the holy top tier) that don't know you at all, but are willing to flout their membership rules and put you up. Won't happen, so save yourself some pain. Woodlands is a great course and you'll be able to play there the rest of your life without regret.

#13 TheWeekendGolfer

TheWeekendGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Because you don’t know anyone, and you live in a different State so have no network to know anyone. You’ll find a million people on here that will happily put you up to Keysy, Southern, Spring Valley etc (2nd tier type clubs) without knowing anyone, but good luck finding 2 people at Vic, RM or KH (the holy top tier) that don’t know you at all, but are willing to flout their membership rules and put you up. Won’t happen, so save yourself some pain.

Woodlands is a great course and you’ll be able to play there the rest of your life without regret.

Sums it up pretty well.

#14 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Might be surprised. Not as bad as all that. If you are a decent golfer and a decent bloke the doors will always open if you ask nicely.

#15 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

Because you don’t know anyone, and you live in a different State so have no network to know anyone. You’ll find a million people on here that will happily put you up to Keysy, Southern, Spring Valley etc (2nd tier type clubs) without knowing anyone, but good luck finding 2 people at Vic, RM or KH (the holy top tier) that don’t know you at all, but are willing to flout their membership rules and put you up. Won’t happen, so save yourself some pain.

Woodlands is a great course and you’ll be able to play there the rest of your life without regret.

as i said, i did truely enjoy my few days at Woodlands and would be more than happy to join there when time comes to return home. i just wanted to get some opinions of people who had played woodlands and vic/metro etc. if i cant pass their nomination process then my choice is simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users