Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:06 AM

Morning lads,
Long time no post! Been a big few months in the life of WAH since my last post.

Went away to Borneo for a couple of weeks and got engaged... managed to sneak in a couple rounds of golf at Sutera Harbour Golf while there. An absolutely amazing course with some very memorable holes. The downside is the humidity is off the charts and makes for a long four hours even when you hit off at 7am.

Came back to a promotion and work and a terrible winter which means I've played about five or six Comp rounds since April. Played in a couple of team events too but really haven't been able to get out on course, which means the handicap hasn't moved in the direction it should.

Had a bit of a revelation over my break. Went in to get new orthotics and the podiatrist noticed my right leg was 1.5cm shorter than my left. Long story short, he has put a wedge in my orthotic to boost me back up and I feel like it is going to be a massive improver of my golf game.

Went to the range on Wednesday for my first hit in them and was making exceptional contact with the ball, feeling more balanced.

Had a four ball ambrose on Friday and have never played better. We got through 14 holes before the lightning siren and made a lot of fairways with driver and stuck two approach shots to within kick in distance of the hole. Fwiw I'd maybe do that once every few rounds.

I'm not sure if this is a placebo or not??? Anyone experienced anything similar ?

We ended up winning the ambrose! which was a marvel in itself given one of the guys in our team didn't have a handicap and was playing off 18 despite being a legit 50-60 shot handicapper.

Back to Comp today and lots of leave over summer so expect to see me around lots again! Good to be back.
  • RobNewy and hack2489 like this

Golf Link

https://www.golf.org...icap/3101903232

Game Golf

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/rizzo

In The Bag

Driver: TaylorMade M1

3 Wood: Callaway  X-Series

Rescue: Callaway  X-Series

5,6,7,8,9 iron: Callaway  X-Series

Pitching Wedge: Callaway  X-Series

Gap Wedge: Callaway  X-Series

Sand Wedge: Tour Trusty

Putter: Odyssey Works #1

#302 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15959 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

Congratulations on the engagement. Orthopedic inserts fitted correctly will improve more than your golf. Enjoy :D
  • Whatahack likes this

18.4 by June  2019  - 1.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

#303 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

Would appear you've "claimed" the 'hack' handle around here well before me ... my arrival, first posts, sometime just after the start of your recent hiatus.

How 'bout we form a sub committee... of hacks? 

G'day, I'm hack can be our war cry. 

• Whatahack likes this

#304 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

Would appear you've "claimed" the 'hack' handle around here well before me ... my arrival, first posts, sometime just after the start of your recent hiatus.

How 'bout we form a sub committee... of hacks? 

G'day, I'm hack can be our war cry.

Welcome to the club! It was lonely as the only hack in here.
Perhaps we can do a mighty ducks Chant and instead of saying "quack" we can yell "hack"
  • hack2489 likes this

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#305 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

And to upgrade on progress, played on Saturday... 11 points front nine, 22 points back nine. Ludicrous.
  • iRON MiCK likes this

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#306 Putting the ink in kinky

Putting the ink in kinky

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35892 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:44 AM

How's the sphincter
  • Whatahack likes this

#307 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

Looking at your GA history, you made some good progress and then plateaued. Other life, ah, distractions, can tend to do that.

Do you do any practise between rounds? And, if so, what are you working on?

From one hack to another (my GA is 16), I dropped from a playing handicap of 27 to 18 by looking for the leakage. I figured that at my hack level it was more about not giving shots away than trying to 'score' as such. Looking at my game, it was stupid errors, which could be corrected easily with practise, and having realistic goals / expectations about my game. For example:

• if in trouble off the tee, make a good decision to get out of trouble and don't go for the miracle shot. 
  • anything inside 50m,  make sure the chip / pitch is close to take pressure off so I don't 3 putt. 
  • allow for the misshit and take trouble into account. So, if I'm 150m out and have bunkers short, water right, I'm better off dropping it short of the bunkers than 'going for it' (my standard miss is a duffed fat shot, or a weird push right). With short game practise, confidence builds and so I then felt OK about dropping a short pitch or chip within a 2 putt distance.

So, where do you think you are giving away 'easy' shots?

hack, hack, hack, hack, hack, hack, hack, hack ... go the mighty hacks!

Edited by hack2489, 21 November 2017 - 08:41 AM.

• Whatahack likes this

#308 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

Looking at your GA history, you made some good progress and then plateaued. Other life, ah, distractions, can tend to do that.

Do you do any practise between rounds? And, if so, what are you working on?

From one hack to another (my GA is 16), I dropped from a playing handicap of 27 to 18 by looking for the leakage. I figured that at my hack level it was more about not giving shots away than trying to 'score' as such. Looking at my game, it was stupid errors, which could be corrected easily with practise, and having realistic goals / expectations about my game. For example:

• if in trouble off the tee, make a good decision to get out of trouble and don't go for the miracle shot. 
  • anything inside 50m,  make sure the chip / pitch is close to take pressure off so I don't 3 putt. 
  • allow for the misshit and take trouble into account. So, if I'm 150m out and have bunkers short, water right, I'm better off dropping it short of the bunkers than 'going for it' (my standard miss is a duffed fat shot, or a weird push right). With short game practise, confidence builds and so I then felt OK about dropping a short pitch or chip within a 2 putt distance.

So, where do you think you are giving away 'easy' shots?

hack, hack, hack, hack, hack, hack, hack, hack ... go the mighty hacks!

Work gets a bit chaotic during winter so haven't had a chance to really get out there as much as I should have. So now I'm starting to ramp some things up.

I feel like my second shot is always the one that costs me. Off the tee I'm okay, but it seems that my approaches to the green / using a wood or hybrid on par fives sees me always battling to save the hole.

It's obviously a flaw in my swing - I think it's tempo related tbh - and I'm actually booked in for a lesson next monday to see what the issue is.

My chipping isn't too bad and my putting is okay. But you need to be a magician when your rack up lost shots like I do around the course.

I feel like I could easily shave a good six - eight shots off my handicap with the right coaching and practice. Some of my best holes would have me in that range .. but its the four or five other holes that are really costly

• hack2489 likes this

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#309 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

Work gets a bit chaotic during winter so haven't had a chance to really get out there as much as I should have. So now I'm starting to ramp some things up.

I feel like my second shot is always the one that costs me. Off the tee I'm okay, but it seems that my approaches to the green / using a wood or hybrid on par fives sees me always battling to save the hole.

It's obviously a flaw in my swing - I think it's tempo related tbh - and I'm actually booked in for a lesson next monday to see what the issue is.

My chipping isn't too bad and my putting is okay. But you need to be a magician when your rack up lost shots like I do around the course.

I feel like I could easily shave a good six - eight shots off my handicap with the right coaching and practice. Some of my best holes would have me in that range .. but its the four or five other holes that are really costly

On the 5's why not lay up to a solid wedge or 9i distance in and have that instead?

I started to do it and found it dropped shots off for me.

• Weetbix, Whatahack and hack2489 like this
OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#310 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

On the 5's why not lay up to a solid wedge or 9i distance in and have that instead?

I started to do it and found it dropped shots off for me.

That sounds too smart for hackers like me! But you're right... I think my course management isn't great at times and I probably try too hard sometimes to hit the pro shot rather than the safe shot.

• Weetbix, Joe79 and hack2489 like this

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#311 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

That sounds too smart for hackers like me! But you're right... I think my course management isn't great at times and I probably try too hard sometimes to hit the pro shot rather than the safe shot.

Ah ... YES.

The old ... check the ego at the pro shop solution.

Easy said than done. I know only too well. But, I know it's when I try too hard to get extra distance or 'make' a shot, that's when I hit it fat or push it out right. So, as SPM said, back off, lay up and avoid giving shots away.

Many years ago, playing off 27 at Pelican, an older bloke told me to try playing the longest Par 5 (510m off the back markers) with only a 5 Iron. Tee off, and through the fairway. And ya know what, they were all safely in play! Had about 100m for the 4th into the green, and dropped a PW dead centre, 2 putt and walked off with an easy bogey 6, for 3 points.

But.

You know what - the ego got the better of me, and next round I took Driver off the tee and hacked my way to a 9 ... just gave up 3 shots because of ego. Stupid is as stupid does.

I find it hard to check the ego. But, I do score better when I do!

• Whatahack likes this

#312 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Ah ... YES.

The old ... check the ego at the pro shop solution.

Easy said than done. I know only too well. But, I know it's when I try too hard to get extra distance or 'make' a shot, that's when I hit it fat or push it out right. So, as SPM said, back off, lay up and avoid giving shots away.

Many years ago, playing off 27 at Pelican, an older bloke told me to try playing the longest Par 5 (510m off the back markers) with only a 5 Iron. Tee off, and through the fairway. And ya know what, they were all safely in play! Had about 100m for the 4th into the green, and dropped a PW dead centre, 2 putt and walked off with an easy bogey 6, for 3 points.

But.

You know what - the ego got the better of me, and next round I took Driver off the tee and hacked my way to a 9 ... just gave up 3 shots because of ego. Stupid is as stupid does.

I find it hard to check the ego. But, I do score better when I do!

Will try this when I'm back out in comp on Tuesday and report back how I go.  :D

The par 5s at my course are 490m, 443m and 483m.

3 x six irons would have me within chipping range of the green on all holes  ^_^  Now to check my ego in at the pro shop :D

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#313 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

Bit of an update.
Went up to watch the Aus open very enjoyable four days walking the fairways. Saw some great golf and a few rising stars - plus spieth and Day.
Flew back into Avalon last night and the missus fell asleep on the couch and forgot to set an alarm. 85 missed calls later and she arrived an hour late. Home well after 12.30 am.

Anyway up early this morning for a golf lesson. First one in a long time. the lad looks after some of the regions best juniors, so was excited to see what I could learn.

Got some great footage of the swing and showed me just what I was doing wrong. Hands and club was too far out in my back swing and then I was coming in on the way down leading to slices.

An hour later and I feel like we made good progress. Took my learnings to the driving range post lesson to hammer home some stuff, feels good but we will see how I go on course tomorrow.

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#314 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

New swing is working an absolute treat.
First round had 34 points.
Yesterday at Torquay my second round with new swing brought 37 points. Was flying with three to go and should have made the most of my chances, but could only muster two stableford points. Couldn't have finished the round worse.

Today I finished with 33 points including three wipes and two one point holes. Talk about frustrations. The three pick ups came in a row and I think it stemmed from me losing my head.

Started on the par three where my ball hit something on the ground and bounced at a right angle into a bunker. Skinnied out, duffed chip, chip, two putts (out).

Par five next. Perfect drive, perfect hybrid. 80m out. Nice contact on chip and falls into bunker. Two shots out of bunker and three putts (out).

Par four. Slight left off tee and ball runs into trees. Bunt out. Miss hit. Nice chip. Two putts (out).

Hard to keep emotions in check when that happens. Finished the front nine with 13 points.

Regrouped on the back nine with 20 and had I putted better it should have been in the 23-25 point range. Missed a handful from about 2-3ft out.

Things I have taken out of this to work on is - putting and emotions.

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#315 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

New swing is working an absolute treat.
First round had 34 points.
Yesterday at Torquay my second round with new swing brought 37 points. Was flying with three to go and should have made the most of my chances, but could only muster two stableford points. Couldn't have finished the round worse.

Today I finished with 33 points including three wipes and two one point holes. Talk about frustrations. The three pick ups came in a row and I think it stemmed from me losing my head.

Started on the par three where my ball hit something on the ground and bounced at a right angle into a bunker. Skinnied out, duffed chip, chip, two putts (out).

Par five next. Perfect drive, perfect hybrid. 80m out. Nice contact on chip and falls into bunker. Two shots out of bunker and three putts (out).

Par four. Slight left off tee and ball runs into trees. Bunt out. Miss hit. Nice chip. Two putts (out).

Hard to keep emotions in check when that happens. Finished the front nine with 13 points.

Regrouped on the back nine with 20 and had I putted better it should have been in the 23-25 point range. Missed a handful from about 2-3ft out.

Things I have taken out of this to work on is - putting and emotions.

Great the swing is improving on the longer game.

From your write up, what stood out to me was more than just putting issues (see bold highlights). All would seems to fall into the "short game" category?

And, if you're anything like me, your putting woes stemmed from those short game issues. Get frustrated it's taken two shots to get out of a bunker, or the skinny shot that goes flying, and stuff up the chip recovery and get worked up by the time the putter is in your hands.

Ah, how I remember that oh too well.

Short game is something you can practise in your yard at home, or local park. Don't worry about roll out, rather put down a towel and pitch / chip onto it from different distances (pace them out so you build up a feel with distance). Hit 10 balls at a time, preferable same type as you game so you learn the feel and reaction off the club, and make a note of how many you get to land onto the towel (remember, it's the landing from the fly, not final resting place as roll out doesn't matter here). Keep a record of your distances and accuracy results and track over time.

That way, when you get on course, you just pick a landing zone, and swing off your distance feel. Landing zone picked based off green and risk management which change for every shot on course, hence the practice to a 'landing zone'.

As for bunkers, well, yep practise practise and more practise. But, first tip from a hack, learn to use and understand the impact of 'bounce' on your wedge for sand play. Look online at some video's and try different swings, etc to see the effects, feel, etc. If you have a beach nearby, go and practise there, take your towel from the short game gear, and aim to land shots from different distances onto the towel. Keep a record and track your progress. And, if on the beach, use the super soft stuff and the harder sand near the water line to get a feel for how the club reacts with different sand density and compaction.

As a hack who couldn't break 100, it was working on the short game that first started to save me shots. The good ole' chip n run with an 8 iron has saved me many times! As confidence builds, and technique, you can use other clubs on course. With some good time practising sand shots, you won't fear them and that alone will save you shots on course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users