#256 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

Had a whack around Portarlington with Longhitter today. Great company, shame about the golf I was playing.

Easily the worst round I've played in a long time. Irons no good, dicey off the tee at best. Putting and feel for the greens was decent a part from a three and a four putt. Shudder at my 21 points on reflection, but the white flag was waved pretty early.

Can't wait to get my irons now. Would love to be standing over a ball and feeling confident.

Highlight was my hybrid. Was hitting it the best of all my clubs and no reel duffs of note.

Was great to walk around with Longhitter too. Enjoyable walking around for four hours with an easygoing person. 

Comp next Tuesday ... gotta get my **** together.

• KEG and Rusty_Chopper_1984 like this

Golf Link

https://www.golf.org...icap/3101903232

Game Golf

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/rizzo

In The Bag

Driver: TaylorMade M1

3 Wood: Callaway  X-Series

Rescue: Callaway  X-Series

5,6,7,8,9 iron: Callaway  X-Series

Pitching Wedge: Callaway  X-Series

Gap Wedge: Callaway  X-Series

Sand Wedge: Tour Trusty

Putter: Odyssey Works #1

#257 Rusty_Chopper_1984

Rusty_Chopper_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11944 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

Had a whack around Portarlington with Longhitter today. Great company, shame about the golf I was playing.
Easily the worst round I've played in a long time. Irons no good, dicey off the tee at best. Putting and feel for the greens was decent a part from a three and a four putt. Shudder at my 21 points on reflection, but the white flag was waved pretty early.

Can't wait to get my irons now. Would love to be standing over a ball and feeling confident.

Highlight was my hybrid. Was hitting it the best of all my clubs and no reel duffs of note.

Was great to walk around with Longhitter too. Enjoyable walking around for four hours with an easygoing person.

Comp next Tuesday ... gotta get my **** together.

Thanks for the hit today Ryan. Course is in great shape. Will be try and get down there again in a few weeks. Was a great day regardless of scores..☺
http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901532

2014 C Grade Winner OOM 2 Growling Frog

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2014 Eagle on 15th par 4 at Rosebud Country Club on North/East.

2015 Eagle 17th hole at Trentham Golf Course.

2015 C Grade Winner 00M 2 Settlers Run

2015 Race to 18 Winner

2015 BHIC shortest Drive winner 61m

2015 Overall C Grade Runner up

Roy McAvoy: Such a pure feeling is the well struck golf shot.

#258 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Back at it today with my new clubs. What a new lease on life. Can't describe how much better these clubs are now.

38 points today in challenging/windy conditions. Had 3 one pointers and a pick up so still plenty of improvement there. Won't have a chance to give a full review on the clubs yet, but I reckon I'm getting 10-15m more carry with my clubs and maybe 20m more with the fairway wood (I haven't bought this yet, but after two rounds I have been very impressed).

Fiddled around with my driver before the round too. Gone up to 11.5 deg loft and adjusted a bit of the fade bias. Seems to have straightened things up slightly.

A few good highlights. Made birdie on eight and missed another two or three gettable birdie putts. Suggests to me things are slowly starting to click. I think a rushed a few of those birdie putts in my excitement of being there with a chance.

Expecting the handicap to take a hit again, but that's fine by me. I really want to get down to 18 by the end of the year.

• KEG and Rusty_Chopper_1984 like this

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#259 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:18 AM

Not a great deal to report on in regards to my game at the moment. Had 93 off the stick first look a Pt Fairy the other week and had a disaster of a round at Lonsdale yesterday. Did chip in from 88m though, so that's enough to keep me coming back !

• Rusty_Chopper_1984 likes this

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#260 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

Would love some advice from some of you forumites about the mental side of golf.

I seem to "switch off" way too often and it becomes really costly. I'm wondering if its stemming from a lack of pre-shot routine.

The last two rounds I've thrown some 40+ point rounds out the window.

On Tuesday I had four pick-ups and two one-pointers on my way to 34 points. Today I had 30 points with three picks ups and four or five one pointers.

These lapses come in clumps - generally over a four - seven hole run - and then I simply switch back on and get going again.

It's becoming really frustrating. I know i'm doing it. I just can't figure out how to reset when it happens.

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#261 KEG

KEG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

Yeah I recon having a pre shot routine helps you switch on. Even if its taking your glove off after each shot and then to start your routine for the next shot put it back on. 

How did you go down at Port Fairy? must get down there and have a game.

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team Winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade Winner & N/P
-2017 GDGA Div 5 Pennant Winners (Winchelsea)
-2018 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "A" Grade Winner

-2019 Team Winner Barwon Cup @ Barwon Heads
Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
Lowest H/C 6.0 on 01/06/19
PB Round 69/7/62!! (16/3/19) Winchelsea par 69
PB Round 76/11/65 (14/7/18) Curlewis par 72
2018 Nationals Putting God!!😎👊
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#<p><p>https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#262 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

Yeah I recon having a pre shot routine helps you switch on. Even if its taking your glove off after each shot and then to start your routine for the next shot put it back on. 

How did you go down at Port Fairy? must get down there and have a game.

Was bloody wet! but the course was sensational. I've booked some accom down there during summer so I can go back and see the course when it isn't so wet. Some pretty spectacular holes!

• KEG likes this

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#263 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 3049 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

Would love some advice from some of you forumites about the mental side of golf.

I seem to "switch off" way too often and it becomes really costly. I'm wondering if its stemming from a lack of pre-shot routine.

The last two rounds I've thrown some 40+ point rounds out the window.

On Tuesday I had four pick-ups and two one-pointers on my way to 34 points. Today I had 30 points with three picks ups and four or five one pointers.

These lapses come in clumps - generally over a four - seven hole run - and then I simply switch back on and get going again.

It's becoming really frustrating. I know i'm doing it. I just can't figure out how to reset when it happens.

I have the same issue and have curtailed it somewhat. For me it was tiredness\lethargy kicking in. I was over pacing myself and trying to pound the ball and then getting tired too quickly and not adjusting too it which in turn was taking me out mentally.

Part of the tiredness is my stubbornness to not adjust to being tired and swing with 1 club more instead of harder etc. The stubbornness (as I become when tired) also came into mistakes. If I hit it in the trees I would try to get out instead of taking my medicine, then on the next hole if I found trouble, try harder because I stuffed the last hole.

What I have done recently is learn that at some point I will not be able to hit as hard as I did the 10 - 12 holes I have just done and take a club more or mentally "lay up" to the hole etc to stop my body trying to hit it.

First part is I have adjusted my swing to be more consistent and swing rather than hit. The next steps are walking for an hour at work and lifting light weights to build up stamina and core strength and hoping this curtails the mental side and tiredness as well.

Edited by Joe79, 06 September 2016 - 03:47 PM.

• Whatahack likes this

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts

OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#264 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

I have the same issue and have curtailed it somewhat. For me it was tiredness\lethargy kicking in. I was over pacing myself and trying to pound the ball and then getting tired too quickly and not adjusting too it which in turn was taking me out mentally.

Part of the tiredness is my stubbornness to not adjust to being tired and swing with 1 club more instead of harder etc. The stubbornness (as I become when tired) also came into mistakes. If I hit it in the trees I would try to get out instead of taking my medicine, then on the next hole if I found trouble, try harder because I stuffed the last hole.

What I have done recently is learn that at some point I will not be able to hit as hard as I did the 10 - 12 holes I have just done and take a club more or mentally "lay up" to the hole etc to stop my body trying to hit it.

First part is I have adjusted my swing to be more consistent and swing rather than hit. The next steps are walking for an hour at work and lifting light weights to build up stamina and core strength and hoping this curtails the mental side and tiredness as well.

Cheers Joe!

I'm not sure mine has to do with tiredness. Today my meltdown was from holes 4-9 where I went 1,P,P,1,2,P. I started 2,3,3 before that so confidence should have been high.

It's got me scratching my head a little bit. The only other thing I could think of is that maybe I am being a bit too social. I like a chat on course, but maybe that switches my focus from what I should be doing...

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#265 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 3049 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

On those pickups what was the cause?

IE Trees? Bunker? 2 duffed chips? Etc

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#266 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

On those pickups what was the cause?

IE Trees? Bunker? 2 duffed chips? Etc

1st pick up (par 3) - 2 shots in bunker. Then missed 1 foot putt.

2nd pick up (par 5) - Duffed tee shot (took eyes off the ball), shank, missed 1-2 foot putt for a point (angry).

3rd pick up (par 5) - Duffed tee shot (hook left), 2 poor chips

Golf Link

Game Golf

In The Bag

#267 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 3049 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:14 PM

1st pick up (par 3) - 2 shots in bunker. Then missed 1 foot putt.

2nd pick up (par 5) - Duffed tee shot (took eyes off the ball), shank, missed 1-2 foot putt for a point (angry).

3rd pick up (par 5) - Duffed tee shot (hook left), 2 poor chips

To me being social or not social makes no diff on these, just sounds like normal hackers misses to me (we all have them :))

notup is right on maybe finding something else to mentally get back into swing mode, a switch of some sort. If the usual's aren't working (Pre shot or glove on off) then maybe look at something fresh or new. Take a drink before selecting the club or remove and put the hat back on.

Mine is standing behind the ball to take my aim point in the distance with a deep breath to relax.

Edited by Joe79, 06 September 2016 - 04:15 PM.

• Whatahack likes this

WITB:

#268 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 3049 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

The other thing I forgot to add is the knowing your on a good score and tensing up or trying to score.

I ask my partners not to tell me my score because I do this. I hate it. I have a general Idea of what I am on but if I don't then I cant do it. It has helped and hindered me at the same time.

• KEG and Whatahack like this

WITB:

#269 KEG

KEG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

The other thing I forgot to add is the knowing your on a good score and tensing up or trying to score.

I ask my partners not to tell me my score because I do this. I hate it. I have a general Idea of what I am on but if I don't then I cant do it. It has helped and hindered me at the same time.

Yeah sometimes I think its best not to look to much at the card just keep playing. Nothing worse than when your playing well and you count your score at 9 holes and you've got 20 points then tense us and totally screw the back 9 up!

• Joe79 likes this

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team Winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade Winner & N/P
-2017 GDGA Div 5 Pennant Winners (Winchelsea)
-2018 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "A" Grade Winner

-2019 Team Winner Barwon Cup @ Barwon Heads
Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
Lowest H/C 6.0 on 01/06/19
PB Round 69/7/62!! (16/3/19) Winchelsea par 69
PB Round 76/11/65 (14/7/18) Curlewis par 72
2018 Nationals Putting God!!😎👊
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#<p><p>https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#270 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42803 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

Give a **** - if you care you'll concentrate

Not stupid throwing your club angry caring (yes Goldy I mean you) but wanting to do your best for every shot caring

And a pre shot routine that helps you switch on before each shot
  • Whatahack likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users