#31 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Funny how the world works.
I read this thread about a week ago and thought, pfffft, never gonna happen, someone’s just throwing a line out on the Internet for a conversation starter.
I work in the construction industry, building in Sorrento/Portsea. This week, we had the brickies start. One of them and I start talking golf, he’s off +2 (prick) and is a member at Portsea.
Out of the blue he says, “I know the bloke who owns the freehold down at S.A.B. Did you hear they’re pegging out the other 18?”
Of course, no idea of the truth of the matter, but it’s just weird that someone actually mentioned it face to face to me just after i read it here.
You never know.

Intersting indeed. Off topic but considering you're down that Elsnartico, I'm going down with the boys for a Grand Final weekend in Sorrento and we are planning on playing a round of golf at Portsea on the Friday. Then i read about some new development at Portsea. Any idea if there will be any disruption to the course at that time?

#32 ElDiablo

ElDiablo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

Noticed they’ve been burning off a lot over recent weeks. My info is that Bob Harrison as done the design

Read Ben Hogan’s 5 Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf until your eyes are sore and your head hurts, then read it again and again! It’s ALL there………..

Were burning off agaIn today.

#33 ElDiablo

ElDiablo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

I read this thread about a week ago and thought, pfffft, never gonna happen, someone’s just throwing a line out on the Internet for a conversation starter.
I work in the construction industry, building in Sorrento/Portsea. This week, we had the brickies start. One of them and I start talking golf, he’s off +2 (prick) and is a member at Portsea.
Out of the blue he says, “I know the bloke who owns the freehold down at S.A.B. Did you hear they’re pegging out the other 18?”
Of course, no idea of the truth of the matter, but it’s just weird that someone actually mentioned it face to face to me just after i read it here.
You never know.

Intersting indeed.

Off topic but considering you’re down that Elsnartico, I’m going down with the boys for a Grand Final weekend in Sorrento and we are planning on playing a round of golf at Portsea on the Friday. Then i read about some new development at Portsea. Any idea if there will be any disruption to the course at that time?

Titleist 910D3 Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 910Fd Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 909H Adilda Voodoo
Titleist 710 AP1 Nippon NS Pro 105T
Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport
Pro V1x

Will check that tomorrow mate.

#34 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Very brave to be doing this with the over supply in the region. There will be some closures of courses in the future, the demand is just not there.

#35 ElDiablo

ElDiablo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

You never know.

Intersting indeed.

Off topic but considering you’re down that Elsnartico, I’m going down with the boys for a Grand Final weekend in Sorrento and we are planning on playing a round of golf at Portsea on the Friday. Then i read about some new development at Portsea. Any idea if there will be any disruption to the course at that time?

Pro V1x

Will check that tomorrow mate.

The construction had most certainly begun at Portsea. So you'd def imagine there'd be some disruption to the facilities, perhaps not the course.

#36 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

Brave man indeed to taking on this venture in this economic climate and with the over supply in the market of good courses down that way.

He must have very deep pockets or be stupid, probably a combination of both.

Will it be private or public access?

John Huggan on the passing of Seve – “Sadly for all who love golf as the art form it is meant to be and not the science it has become, we may never see his like again.”

Very true.

In saying that, I reckon they are kidding themselves charging $86 weekend/$66 midweek.

Charge $30-$40 mid week and $40-$50 weekend and the place will be full most days, which then puts the pressure on The Dunes, Eagle Ridge and Moonah Links.

Pro V1x

X1

#37 Threejagking

Threejagking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:40 AM

Ugly clubhouse going in at Portsea. The 6th hole is definately done and dusted from its glory days

#38 Rupert The Bear

Rupert The Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

This mornings local paper has a permit for 18 Holes & ancillary works for 209 Sandy Rd Fingal or St Andrews Beach Golf Course.

#39 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

Sounds great ......... I only hope they manage to get it done Rupert, as StAB has always been one of my favourite courses to play.

#40 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37529 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

A few more trips with the beloved down there if this happens, one suspects Gaz?

#41 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Definitely Pete. I love the existing course, so the new one should be close to the same quality one would hope. Everytime you drive in, you pass by one of the clearings, and can see where it was always meant to be.

#42 Rupert The Bear

Rupert The Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

GPJ, not sure where they will get players from, as when we played the back tee challenge earlier in the year we had a field of 7 players. Also with Eagle Ridge on the market it seems a little strange too go with the new course at St Andrews Beach.

#43 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Definitely Pete.

I love the existing course, so the new one should be close to the same quality one would hope.

Everytime you drive in, you pass by one of the clearings, and can see where it was always meant to be.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...
Birdie – “The ball of many miles”,St. Andrews Beach 2011
Longdrive Champion – Growling Frog 2011, A Grade Waterford Valley 2012, Bendigo 2012.
Shot 69, using 68’s – 26/12/11.

Impossible in this current environment.

#44 Kwan_X

Kwan_X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

New course is proposed to be private with $100,000 membership. ie. Won't succeed.

#45 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

New course is proposed to be private with $100,000 membership.

ie. Won’t succeed.

The X stands for Xian

The current course was originally private with a $55k membership. They all lost their money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users