212 replies to this topic

#16 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

I doubt a 2nd course, are they making much of a profit with the 1st, doubtful? Oversupply of courses in the region means a 2nd course will be a recipe for insolvency.

#17 Hacksalot

Hacksalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

Shanks, 2nd course has nothing to do with the current course, it's still in planning stages and if anybody knows the local council down there, it could be a long time before planning is approved. Ocat I have heard who the super is and that he will not resign his current position until planning has been approved.

#18 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Brave man indeed to taking on this venture in this economic climate and with the over supply in the market of good courses down that way. He must have very deep pockets or be stupid, probably a combination of both. Will it be private or public access?

#19 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Brave man indeed to taking on this venture in this economic climate and with the over supply in the market of good courses down that way.

He must have very deep pockets or be stupid, probably a combination of both.

Will it be private or public access?

John Huggan on the passing of Seve – “Sadly for all who love golf as the art form it is meant to be and not the science it has become, we may never see his like again.”

Very true. In saying that, I reckon they are kidding themselves charging $86 weekend/$66 midweek. Charge $30-$40 mid week and $40-$50 weekend and the place will be full most days, which then puts the pressure on The Dunes, Eagle Ridge and Moonah Links.

#20 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:08 AM

Brave man indeed to taking on this venture in this economic climate and with the over supply in the market of good courses down that way.

He must have very deep pockets or be stupid, probably a combination of both.

Will it be private or public access?

John Huggan on the passing of Seve – “Sadly for all who love golf as the art form it is meant to be and not the science it has become, we may never see his like again.”

Very true.

In saying that, I reckon they are kidding themselves charging $86 weekend/$66 midweek.

Charge $30-$40 mid week and $40-$50 weekend and the place will be full most days, which then puts the pressure on The Dunes, Eagle Ridge and Moonah Links.

Titleist 910D3 Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 910Fd Aldila RIP 60
Titleist 909H Adilda Voodoo
Titleist 710 AP1 Nippon NS Pro 105T
Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport
Pro V1x

Yeah seems odd when you consider (and I dont know them accurately) the lack of players on the course in comparison to the competition. And lets face it, it is probably one of the lesser known tracks also so charging less would be the smart option IMO.

#21 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:12 AM

Isn't it a 6 hour bumfight every weekend?

#22 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

Isn’t it a 6 hour bumfight every weekend?

Not when I played it... Saw 4 other people all day

#23 madgolferss

madgolferss

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

hey don't get me wrong. this is a good track. but had a mate that played a few weekends ago on a saturday. he got on no worries and the place was DEAD. That was a Saturday. How on earth can this place fly?? if the owner is the person collecting the greens fees he'd shut it tomorrow. is the owner running this business?? if he's loaded it up with contractors he is out of his mind. I suspect the employees u spoke with work for the contractors. find the owner and ask him how he's going. I bet he or she would tell u they'd never laid eyes on the place. a liability from day one. All this talk about a 2nd course is outrageous. it's simply economic suicide.

#24 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

So your assuming the place is financially unviable because your mate played on a quiet Saturday? #Drawinglongbow

Read Ben Hogan’s 5 Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf until your eyes are sore and your head hurts, then read it again and again! It’s ALL there………..

Umm... Would be a fair indication. #whereelsedotheymaketheirmoney

#25 madgolferss

madgolferss

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

ok. so you're questioning if this can be viable? Just look at the booking sheet online for any given day. Or as I suggested, see what the owner is saying about the business. Contractors will always say things are going well. they get paid regardless.

#26 The_Judge

The_Judge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Played st andews beach today in the tom doak challenge...... teed off early, and the car par park was full when we finished. i would happily ply this course for the rest of my life!

#27 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

Played st andews beach today in the tom doak challenge…... teed off early, and the car par park was full when we finished. i would happily ply this course for the rest of my life!

If you want to see the best and worst of a man, take him for a round of golf

+1 Hope it goes from strength to strength.

#28 woodrz

woodrz

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Loved this track, shame it's a '2 day' drive from melb...

#29 trouble1980

trouble1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

2 day walk

#30 ElDiablo

ElDiablo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

Funny how the world works. I read this thread about a week ago and thought, pfffft, never gonna happen, someone's just throwing a line out on the Internet for a conversation starter. I work in the construction industry, building in Sorrento/Portsea. This week, we had the brickies start. One of them and I start talking golf, he's off +2 (prick) and is a member at Portsea. Out of the blue he says, "I know the bloke who owns the freehold down at S.A.B. Did you hear they're pegging out the other 18?" Of course, no idea of the truth of the matter, but it's just weird that someone actually mentioned it face to face to me just after i read it here. You never know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users