Photo

GPJ’s Journey to ... God Knows Where

• Please log in to reply
10151 replies to this topic

#10066 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

I thought knerling was the national sport of Scotland.

The national sport of Scotland, is hanging shite on the English I believe

• Snappy McSnapperton likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#10067 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:43 PM

Time for an update as its been a little while since my last update.

Been playing twice a week for a couple of weeks now, hitting them with varied success and varied failure, and not really enjoying my golf that much. The handicap is drifting outward at a rapid rate, and with every passing golf game, but the mental side of not "enjoying things" when out there, is more important to me.

The reasons are almost as varied as my actual golf game, I'm not scoring well so that's annoying, I'm not sinking putts, so that's annoying.

I'm wasting good shots by following them up with bad ones, so that's annoying, and I'm making some really bad club or shot selections on course, so that's annoying.

In terms of my golf game, I've gotten the driver under control after a month or two of pain.

Having bent my iron sets recently, they have been about a fortnight's worth of pain, but are pretty much under control again now as I'm learning to adjust to seeing the upright lie angles at address etc.

The short game and putter are now as cold as a mother in laws kiss, so that's the current battle after getting the ball to the green or surrounds ….. poor chipping and just no sign of a putt dropping form any length.

The grind of it all though over the last month has taken its toll I reckon, and my motivation is running on low to try and turn my "outward bound" handicap around, and get it heading back down.

At the moment I'm finding that I'd much rather hit a few good and testing shots on course, just to get some fun back into the game for myself, so at times that's what I'm going for on course.

Sometimes they come off, and sometimes they don't, and the score suffers, but I really don't care what I play off at the moment.

A case in point from my last round … 120m out  from the green in the left rough, with some overhead branches ahead, I could have punched a low 6 or 7 iron under the branches.

Instead I chose to hit a 5 iron flat out aiming at least 40m right of the green, and with the face about 40 degrees open. The ball went those 120m and finished on the green, but it curved at least 50m over its travels.

That shot came off nicely, and was pretty much, the one and only highlight of my last round.

Some shots I go for at the moment don't come off, and they cost me shots, but I figure if I'm going to get up early on my days off, and go out there for 4 hours, I might as well try to enjoy my golf, as opposed to trying to grind off 0.1 on my handicap.

That could change of course at some stage, but for now I'll go with trying to have fun out there ……  ;)

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

#10068 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

Update time from today's Stroke round ..... and it was a decent enough effort, without any "noteworthy" shots being struck.

No decent length putts were sunk, there were a couple of bad shots out on the course, but overall it was just a tad boring golf.

75 off the stick, 37 / 38.

Two birdies, sux bogey's, and the rest pars, pfft.

It was nice to feel my game was a little more solid today though (than what it had been of late), but the putting isn't quite there yet, but at least its a step in the right direction, with only a couple of bad "short ones" today, and my chipping was a bit better, perhaps courtesy of my 5th wedge in the bag for today's round, the 64 degree.

Next round is planned for Tuesday now, (before the OOM next weekend), so another chance to try and get my game back on track ….  ;)

WINS

#10069 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16226 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

4 over off the bat in a stroke round is real golf G. Well played. I’m sure the putting issues are a sign that the rest of your game was solid.

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#10070 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

Thanks Micky.

It's certainly been a battle of late, but most of my game seems to be back under some sort of control at least (for now).

While how I appreciate the game and how I view my golf has changed … it is nice to play to better than I have been of late ….  ;)

• iRON MiCK likes this

WINS

#10071 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

Update time once again.

Tuesday stableford comp at Beacy, and it was a lack lustre affair in terms of scoring.

One bad shot a hole for the most part, the driver took a little while to get going, and the putter was still cold.

It was 30 points in total, and I was slightly unsatisfied with the mornings efforts.

I decided to go have a hit later on in the afternoon, at Montuna, and played the front 9, hitting the odd extra ball here and there.

The course there is tight, treelined, and short, so the driver got ditched for all but 2 holes.

I'd changed iron sets since my morning round, and put the MP68's in the bag, along with a different putter.

The putter wasn't too bad, although I didn't sink anything of any real distance, I just put a few shots close enough to give myself good chances.

A 3 putt bogey on 1, birdied 2, parred 3, birdied 4, pars on 5, 6, 7, and 8, and a final birdie on 9.

The course has certainly changed since the last time I played it (only a few years ago now).

The trees that line and separate some of the fairways are much larger and denser than they were, so the course feels much tighter in nature.

Due to the shortness of the course however, you certainly don't need your long clubs around there, and could easily just iron your way around. (I hit driver twice on holes 2 and 6, but 5 iron was the next longest club I hit off the tee)

It is in that way, very reminiscent of Beacy's Lakes course, where irons will get you around tidily.

So, the upshot from the practice is ... the MP68's irons will stay in the bag for the weekend (unless my new irons appear), but the trial putter is back out and my usual gamer is back in.

It was good fun hitting so many iron shots, I really enjoyed that part of it, as well as just planning each shot with slightly unfamiliar terrain to take into account etc.

Some of the holes though are a bit weird and not to my liking around "Monty" as the locals call it, but it was fun though, and that's part of what has been missing from my game for a while, so a good move on my part to go have a belt around there I reckon …  :)

WINS

#10072 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Monday …. Speaking to the Wilson rep at work about my "new iron set", and it seems the irons I'm after will be released and available in Australia in a few weeks time (at least there will be 60 right handed sets hitting the shores of Oz) …… mine will be being built in the US of A.

So, best I get myself organised he said and let him know exactly what I want in terms of specs … so, as it was a tad quiet at work yesterday, I took myself into the simulator and fired up the software and gave myself an iron fitting, and came up with some results which confirmed my suspicions.

As I suspected of late, my iron swing has gone from being a couple of degrees flat …. to a couple of degrees upright. I put that down to hitting a lot of clubs at work that are standard or even upright lie angles, and I reckon over time, that has changed my swing.

That being the case, I worked out exactly what I wanted in terms of length (std), and lie (2 up), and the shafts and flex that I want put in them …… NS Pro Modus 105 stiff flex.

In all my other iron sets I've got Dynamic Golds either R or S 300 (so 120+ grams) and they fly a bit low for my liking, these days.

I want a shaft that I can hit my usual stock shot with, that will fly with a bit higher trajectory (softer landings in summer in particular), so I tried lots of different shafts in the simulator …. and the NS Pro Modus 105's came out the best.

I also tested them in both stiff and reg, and the stiff shafts gave the tightest dispersion across a range of irons, so I reckon I've got it nailed.

So I emailed off my order, and will now just have to wait and see when these babies below ..... arrive on our doorstep. They are Wilson Staff's latest foray into blades, and thankfully, into left handed blades ……. sweet looking aren't they?

attachicon.gifmodel iron.jpg

Had a hit or two of the right handed irons which arrived at work the other day ….. very nice, and very workable.

The set have the usual "blade shafts of choice" …. DGS300's so a slightly lower flight than what I am after . but geez, they do look good, and feel sweet off the middle.

It will be a nice change for me to hit something other than DG's, when my set arrive, hopefully soon …  :) 

WINS

#10073 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37988 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

I decided to go have a hit later on in the afternoon, at Montuna, and played the front 9, hitting the odd extra ball here and there.

The course there is tight, treelined, and short, so the driver got ditched for all but 2 holes.

I'd changed iron sets since my morning round, and put the MP68's in the bag, along with a different putter.

The putter wasn't too bad, although I didn't sink anything of any real distance, I just put a few shots close enough to give myself good chances.

A 3 putt bogey on 1, birdied 2, parred 3, birdied 4, pars on 5, 6, 7, and 8, and a final birdie on 9.

The course has certainly changed since the last time I played it (only a few years ago now).

The trees that line and separate some of the fairways are much larger and denser than they were, so the course feels much tighter in nature.

Due to the shortness of the course however, you certainly don't need your long clubs around there, and could easily just iron your way around. (I hit driver twice on holes 2 and 6, but 5 iron was the next longest club I hit off the tee)

It is in that way, very reminiscent of Beacy's Lakes course, where irons will get you around tidily.

So, the upshot from the practice is ... the MP68's irons will stay in the bag for the weekend (unless my new irons appear), but the trial putter is back out and my usual gamer is back in.

It was good fun hitting so many iron shots, I really enjoyed that part of it, as well as just planning each shot with slightly unfamiliar terrain to take into account etc.

Some of the holes though are a bit weird and not to my liking around "Monty" as the locals call it, but it was fun though, and that's part of what has been missing from my game for a while, so a good move on my part to go have a belt around there I reckon …  :)

Yep, not sure if you saw but I took BarnEsy to Montuna the other week.   I quite enjoyed playing it again after so long.   We played the 18, so we got to hit a few more drivers out the back 9.

A fun little course but their dress standards sign on the first tee nearly gave BarnEsy a heart attack........T shirts permitted.   :o

• CaNadiAn MiCk and GPJ_Longdriver like this
  • Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#10074 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Yep, not sure if you saw but I took BarnEsy to Montuna the other week.   I quite enjoyed playing it again after so long.   We played the 18, so we got to hit a few more drivers out the back 9.

A fun little course but their dress standards sign on the first tee nearly gave BarnEsy a heart attack........T shirts permitted.   :o

I think Barnesy still laments the passing of the plus 4's. ;)

WINS

#10075 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

Update time from today's Order of Merit round down at Royal Rosebud.

30 points today around the somewhat windy and chilly seaside course.

The front half was a surprising 16 points with a wipe, (it didn't feel as good as 16 points), with more than a few rusty shots early days... the back half was 14 points with another wipe or maybe 2 of them.

The putter was back to being pretty solid today, and the driver went okay after a couple of ordinary ones early days.

The irons were a tad off though in the wind, and I caught a few of them low and slightly open of clubface. The short game was a bit hit or miss, given some greens were fast and some were slow, and the bunkers were a touch variable to say the least.

Rosebud CC is a pretty decent layout though, with more than a few holes of interest, and its good fun to play, so it was a very enjoyable day out in the cold, despite the average golf at times.

Next planned game, is on Tuesday back up at Beacy.  :D

WINS

#10076 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Update time from yesterday's Stableford comp ...…  a 6 over 77, or 36 points

There were a couple of wipes, (one on each half) … and a few too many 1 pointers during the round.

The game wasn't too bad, it was just a case of the odd bad shot costing me on a hole.

There were a couple of poor mental errors in terms of club selection in the wind, and a couple of shots that were just poorly executed, but that's to be expected.

It was good fun though despite the freezing cold and blustery conditions, and I feel my golf game is slowly coming back to where it should be which is nice …. so all's good.  :) 

• CaNadiAn MiCk, iRON MiCK and The Butler like this

WINS

#10077 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

Update time, and there be some news on the much anticipated iron set arrival.

It would appear that due to unprecedented demand for the Wilson Tour Model irons, production of the left handed variation has been delayed …. possibly until August I am led to believe, before they fire up the lefty moulds.

Sadly for me, that means my iron set will not be here anytime soon.

I of course, am personally blaming the US Open round II overnight leader, Gary bloody Woodland for this sad state of affairs.

The Wilson contracted player had to go and play some bloody good golf of late with the new Blades, he helped to design, so now the US golfing public are jumping onto them apparently, after a run of solid performances with them.

Hopefully the bugger will blow out his scores over the final two rounds of the Pebble Beach Open, otherwise I'll be getting my new iron set on the 12th of never....  :angry:

• hack2489 likes this

WINS

#10078 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

Update time, and there be some news on the much anticipated iron set arrival.

It would appear that due to unprecedented demand for the Wilson Tour Model irons, production of the left handed variation has been delayed …. possibly until August I am led to believe, before they fire up the lefty moulds.

Sadly for me, that means my iron set will not be here anytime soon.

I of course, am personally blaming the US Open round II overnight leader, Gary bloody Woodland for this sad state of affairs.

The Wilson contracted player had to go and play some bloody good golf of late with the new Blades, he helped to design, so now the US golfing public are jumping onto them apparently, after a run of solid performances with them.

Hopefully the bugger will blow out his scores over the final two rounds of the Pebble Beach Open, otherwise I'll be getting my new iron set on the 12th of never....  :angry:

And so on the back of Gary Bloody Woodland going out and winning the US Open this morning, the chances of me getting my new iron set anytime in the near future, have probably gone from "delayed"  …... to, fark me, it could be Xmas or beyond!!

It was good to see him win though, (despite it potentially adding to the delay in getting my own set), and good to see Wilson equipment notching up their 62nd major victory, as they make some fine golfing equipment I reckon.

And speaking of which, I might have to lash out and get myself a big red Wilson Staff bag, if and when the iron set eventually arrives, cause that would take the total number of Wilson's in the bag to 11. ;) 

• Bogey Golfer, Weetbix and hack2489 like this

WINS

#10079 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16226 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

I’m sorry Wilson

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#10080 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:59 PM

Wow, its been almost a month since my last post .... time flies when you're having fun.

Just got back from a weekend's relaxing and golfing, up at Cobram Barooga ….. nice place, and from what I hear, it was just a few degrees warmer than down here in cold Melbourne.

Barooga has a 2 course setup, the Old, and the West, so it was one day playing the Old and yesterday was spent getting to know the West course.

I hit them a tad better on day one around the Old course, with 4 birdies and a crap load of pars. I was probably only one or two over after something of a slow start and a couple of drives into the unknown/

Around the west course there was a few more blind shots off the tee, and I cut a few corners and paid the price, but hit some really nice ones on day 2 anyway.

The Beloved hit some very tidy shots too after not touching a golf club since our last getaway, so it was nice walking the courses despite it being somewhat chilly at times.

The course conditions were not the most ideal though with the fairway grass just a touch dormant and pale, and the bunkers a bit compressed from some overnight rain, but the greens were really nice and rolled truly on both courses.

Aside from the golf there is not much to do in the towns unfortunately (otherwise we would have stayed a bit longer), but it was nice to get away and swing the clubs on much flatter and drier ground.

Back up to Beacy tomorrow morning, so we'll see what happens in terms of scoring, but so long as I hit a few nice ones, I'll be happy....  :D

• Tochakka and hack2489 like this

WINS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users