• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39504 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

#imafixer

#ifixthings

• koiom K. Asterisk* and iKnobsi like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

NTP Yering Meadows 25th hole 1/12/18...and again 30/12/18 | NTP YM 12th hole 24/2/19

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#9978 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19894 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

Gaz, have you factored in the colour of shorts you wear and the impact it has on your round?

or is that not the determining factor?

Can't say that I have factored anything in Inky, nor factored anything out for that matter.

Coffee is however an issue, as the pro shop have been bereft of a working machine since xmas. Why they just don't get another one is beyond me. (If they can get the actual coffee beans all the way from Brazil, you'd think they could sort out a rental machine in Melbourne)

As for darts OB, its no issue.... if you got em, smoke em.  ;)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9979 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19894 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

Update time from today's comp round, and it was something a little different today. We were playing the Hills back 9 and the Lakes course, (which may explain why good mate Bradley pulled the pin on the round overnight.)

I only realised it when one of the guys mentioned it on the way over to the 10th tee ... so I had to do a bit of "on the run" planning as I was ready to tee off on 1 as usual.

Anyway, it was a scrappy affair on the hills today, with a rusty start that saw some pars and some bogeys, and some burnt edges of holes.

By the halfway mark as we approached the Lakes course, the weather was certainly turning, and not for the better, as a wall of black cloud was heading straight for us.

I packed away the driver for the rest of the round, and "ironed" my way around the Lakes, as a driver, if not dead straight, really is no benefit on the short tight layout.

Again more bogeys and pars ensued, as did a few nasty downpours of the windy and sideways variety ……. only one birdie on the Lakes course, so pretty much a non event today.

I believe my score was 30 points in total, so 9 over …… and not too much fun out there this morning. Another drenching, and another post round laundry session trying to dry everything off.

Not to worry, it beats housework!!!  ;)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 12 February 2019 - 01:38 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

#9980 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19894 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

Update time once again, and firstly Sunday . started off reasonably, but faded badly after spitting the dummy.

It was 26 points or thereabouts, and I cared not a jot.

Oh, I did win the pro pin $$$ somehow ….. amazingly my mark must have lasted the whole day cause from memory …. I certainly wasn't within spitting distance of the hole.

Tuesday Stableford now ……. And a somewhat lack lustre start continued on for about 2 hours, when I made the halfway turn with the grand total of 13 points. (I am still missing my 9 hole caffeine top up)

The swing however wasn't feeling too bad for the most part, I just went and hit bad shots from good positions on course, such as putting two approach shots into greenside bunkers from about 120 out. I certainly shouldn't be doing that when the green is pretty much open for the taking.

Not to worry ….. I managed to turn it around a touch on the back half by shooting a couple under par, to finish with a semi respectable 35 points for the mornings efforts (a 4 over, 75).

T'was good to get out and play alongside good mate Bradley though, who continues to hit the ball very nicely indeed.

We would have made a good ambrose team today, as he was going great on the front half, and I went okay on the back half.

My next planned round isn't for another week now, as I'm working through the upcoming weekend, but a break might be just what I need to spark my golf up a bit …..  ;)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 19 February 2019 - 02:10 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

WINS

#9981 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19894 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:24 PM

Update time from Tuesday's golfing, and it was "79 shots of shite" out there today.

I managed to eek my way through my handicap "shots" by the 4th hole, and eventually made the turn with 13 points of the stableford variety to my name.

I played a tad better on the back half, to only drop a couple of more shots, but finished with 32 points for the round.

It was an interesting round though, as it had been a whole week since my last outing, and the change in condition was stark. 

There was a lot of run on the course, and the greens were actually "almost fast", for the first time this summer.

There is also a bit of tree lopping going on around Beacy of late, which will please some no doubt

For my way of thinking though, opening up a couple of the tree lined holes by trimming the gum's branches, changes the character of them ……. and not for the better.

Teeing off thru between a shute of trees and having to shape shots is supposed to put accuracy at a premium, so removing the overhanging branches to allow a direct line defeats the purpose I'd opine.

A lot of people will be happier though as it makes it easier on a couple of holes, particularly on 9 and I reckon they've gone and ruined 16 by opening up the left hand side.

Previously from the back markers on 16, you had to aim out to the right and shape one back leftward to find the fairway. Now with the trees trimmed back all along the left, it opens up the hole so you can go straight up the left hand side, thereby taking out some skill requirement. It's a much easier tee shot from the back markers now, and the hole is less of a challenge because of it.

Just my thoughts though …..  ;)

WINS

#9982 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

They trimmed a few trees at Toc a few years ago and changed the “personality” of the holes and made it a bit easier for the high handicappers. It’s a pity to change the personality of a hole to suit the loudest wingers.

#9983 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2921 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:56 PM

There is also a bit of tree lopping going on around Beacy of late, which will please some no doubt

For my way of thinking though, opening up a couple of the tree lined holes by trimming the gum's branches, changes the character of them ……. and not for the better.

Teeing off thru between a shute of trees and having to shape shots is supposed to put accuracy at a premium, so removing the overhanging branches to allow a direct line defeats the purpose I'd opine.

A lot of people will be happier though as it makes it easier on a couple of holes, particularly on 9 and I reckon they've gone and ruined 16 by opening up the left hand side.

Previously from the back markers on 16, you had to aim out to the right and shape one back leftward to find the fairway. Now with the trees trimmed back all along the left, it opens up the hole so you can go straight up the left hand side, thereby taking out some skill requirement. It's a much easier tee shot from the back markers now, and the hole is less of a challenge because of it.

Just my thoughts though …..  ;)

You should have played Beacy in the days before the big bushfires in the 80's

It was so much tighter than what you've been used to over the past decade or so ! 

The first was heavily tree lined on the lhs, the Lakes course didn't exist back then so the current miss left was dead and a chip out sideways, if you could hit it at all.

The trees on 3 where a lot bigger and their canopy stuck out further. The lhs of 4 was a jungle all the way to the green. At 9 you had to hit it mega high to try and get over the tightness or hit the low stinger with a 1 or 2 iron. 12 was so much more thicker than now, playing in the afternoons you couldn't see the sun thru the tree-line left. 14 was big heavy gums down the rhs to the bottom and would result in a lost ball if you missed the fairway by anymore than 10 paces. 16 was even thicker rhs than nowadays but the green was in a totally different position. The lhs trees on the 18th stuck out that far that you had to point your tee shots over the fence and try to either hook or slice it back into the fairway !

My memories, pre bushfire.

Jon...   

#9984 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19894 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

You should have played Beacy in the days before the big bushfires in the 80's

It was so much tighter than what you've been used to over the past decade or so ! 

The first was heavily tree lined on the lhs, the Lakes course didn't exist back then so the current miss left was dead and a chip out sideways, if you could hit it at all.

The trees on 3 where a lot bigger and their canopy stuck out further. The lhs of 4 was a jungle all the way to the green. At 9 you had to hit it mega high to try and get over the tightness or hit the low stinger with a 1 or 2 iron. 12 was so much more thicker than now, playing in the afternoons you couldn't see the sun thru the tree-line left. 14 was big heavy gums down the rhs to the bottom and would result in a lost ball if you missed the fairway by anymore than 10 paces. 16 was even thicker rhs than nowadays but the green was in a totally different position. The lhs trees on the 18th stuck out that far that you had to point your tee shots over the fence and try to either hook or slice it back into the fairway !

My memories, pre bushfire.

Jon...   

That sounds like it would have been fun to play, back in the day Jon.

I enjoy a hole that leads you towards the option of shaping shots (as opposed to just hitting straight), as it adds a heap of interest to a hole, not to mention skill requirement.

All too often these days its a wide fairway with a bunker either side, and bugger all interest about it. The holes with shape to them really add to the appeal of a course I think. :P

WINS

#9985 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19894 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:30 PM

They trimmed a few trees at Toc a few years ago and changed the “personality” of the holes and made it a bit easier for the high handicappers. It’s a pity to change the personality of a hole to suit the loudest wingers.

There is a bit to that I reckon (the loudest whingers) …  ;)

WINS

#9986 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19894 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

Update time from this morning's Par comp round ……... -3 ……. so a generous 7 over par for the day.

The swing was pretty much rubbish out there today, both with the driver and the irons.

A couple of hooks with the driver, but mostly leftward for the day, and the irons were a bit clunky to say the least.

There was not much out of the middle of any club, so it was a round where a fair bit of scrambling took place.

Not to worry, you get that sometimes I reckon …. very un-pretty golf.

We got through the mild warmth this morning in okay fashion, so I'll be ready to go again come Tuesday, I just might tweak a few things for that round …..  ;)

WINS

#9987 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15509 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:16 PM

How many putts Gaz? Or were they clunky as well?

18.4 by June  2019  - 1.6 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

#9988 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19894 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:42 PM

I've no idea Micky.

Putts are not something I count ….. aside from missed birdie putts.

I'm certainly not a huge one for stats, relying instead on recalling a round at a later date, (or the bad shots at least) in order to plan any corrective action. :)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 04 March 2019 - 06:43 PM.

WINS

#9989 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19894 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

Hands ....... they can be great when they work well during a golfswing ...... but very annoying when they have a life of their own.

Update from this morning's shotgun start, stableford rubbish …. and starting off on the hole of nine, I pulled one rightward into the trees. I did manage to have a putt for a point, but alas it wasn't to be.

Overactive hands on the tee is not usually something I'm afflicted with, so I let that one blemish slide on by.

Got a birdie on the 10th, gave it back on the 11th, and therein started some lazy hands …. eg leftward golf.

I don't know

a) why I try and shape them with clubs not really designed for the purpose (MP57's)

and

b...  why do I try and shape them by using my hands thru the impact zone, instead of clubface and swing path.

Some stupid golf was going on out there, with lots of bad shots, and wasteful shots, and poor shot selections around the greens.

The crap golf continued on for the entire round, with nary a decent golf shot in sight.

Oh, I did hit one, on the 5th hole, after hitting the previous two shots on the hole treeward.

I was about 40m above the hole, with a tree a few metres in front of me, and a greenside bunker to get over.

With a bare lie and my best Mickelson impersonation, I laid the 60 flat on the deck and knifed one over the tree to land on the green just left of the pin.

The bastard was spinning that much though, that as soon as it landed it was moving backwards at pace to eventually finish back in the fringe. T'was worth it though to see the bugger spin its titts off …  ;)  (Got to love the spin off a bare lie and a Wilson FG Tour ball)

And a few holes later the round finally came to an end with another tap in bogey on the 8th hole. (I used a 7 iron to complete the hole)

It was, according to my marker Bradley, 27 points of wonderment ....... so that would be something in the 80's, not good, but understandable given the quality of my golf today.

So, what to learn from today …. 

Lesson 1 ….. Hit the irons that you enjoy playing with, eg, my '68 blades. (Already in the golf bag, 57's be banished)

Lesson 2 ….. Use the clubface instead of my hands in order to shape em.

Lesson 3 …. I can't wait to get my new driver, as I feel like I'm just biding time at the moment with the old Titleist. (The components of which, are now in country so our Cobra Rep informs me)

Lesson 4 ….. Use a more lofted wedge to chip and then just hit the farker .… don't pick less loft, and then pussie it.

Lesson 6 ….. Get to a good finish position with every full swing of a club. Not doing that sees em spray around.

And herein endeth the lessons ……… my next round is planned for Saturday. :D

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 05 March 2019 - 01:30 PM.

WINS

#9990 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:30 AM

As a high handicap player, I'm happy for all assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users