10078 replies to this topic

#9931 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:00 AM

Yeah we changed our 4BBB events to have a singles in conjunction.  Stops Muzz pushing in to hole out so he can get on the card ahead of you at least!!

• BumpunGrind likes this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#9932 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25043 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:14 PM

I always thought the idea of the the 1 card for a 4bbb event was the best score is entered on the card but too many dumb a##es say you have to enter both scores and the “system” will sort out the results. We use micro power and it’s a pain when 4 ball events are held because it does not work properly. I keep hearing if one player has their name or score used more than( some say) 9 and (some say)11 or 12 their handicap can be changed.

It's a GA directive. Used to be 12 times on the card, now 9.

I wasn't aware of any problems with the automated systems in that regard.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#9933 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3193 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:59 PM

It's a GA directive. Used to be 12 times on the card, now 9.
I wasn't aware of any problems with the automated systems in that regard.

It may be just the system that is used at Toc , we are having issues with a single 4ball card but the short term fix is to use single cards and when you put both cards through it then combines the scoring but as Gaz said when someone shoots the lights out their game is not recognised properly.

#9934 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25043 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:47 PM

It may be just the system that is used at Toc , we are having issues with a single 4ball card but the short term fix is to use single cards and when you put both cards through it then combines the scoring but as Gaz said when someone shoots the lights out their game is not recognised properly.

The methodology is on the GA web, but it's not simple. Why would it be, when they can turn something simple into considerable complexity.
  • Forrest Gardener likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#9935 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37455 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:15 AM

Hey Gaz....I see that there are some NXT's going cheap at GCO (Narre) according to another thread.

• gcuts likes this
  • Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018
  • "If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman
  • http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351
  • Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#9936 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19950 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:53 PM

Hey Gaz....I see that there are some NXT's going cheap at GCO (Narre) according to another thread.

I don't think they'd let me in there anymore Frank …  ;)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9937 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19950 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

Quick update, as its been a week or more since my last.

I've played a couple of rounds, with not too much to report, aside from lots of missed birdie putts.

This morning in my first post xmas hit out, it was much the same for the most part. The front half was finished at 3 over, with a lone birdie included. The tale of the back half was 2 birdies, two bogeys, and the other 5 holes were pars.

So a 3 over 74 off the stick, or 38 points, and the old handicap dropped by 0.3, so at least its still moving in the right direction.

There were of course, some pretty ordinary shots during the round, and for some unknown reason today, I managed to put a few of them together in a row (I really hate that). Normally I'll hit one bad one and then get back to hitting decently, but the ones I did hit badly cost me today … as did my birdie putting.

I just don't have the same feel I used to have with my putter, and I seem to have lost my way with it. Perhaps it's time to invest in a new one (if I could find a good left handed one), who knows.

Anyway, so that was golf today . my next round is planned for Sunday I believe, so I have some time to ponder my golfing wayardness and perhaps …  give the cart bag a bit of a shake up…..  :)

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

#9938 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19950 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:35 AM

Update time once again, from a rainy Sunday Stableford round.

Started off with the usual push leftward into the rough with a somewhat rusty and restricted swing. (The body was not feeling loose today).

A couple of hours later and I made the halfway point with 15 points, or 5 over. Just some bad shots along the way with a couple of good "get out of jail" type scenarios thrown in for good measure.

I'd put the blades away for the round and gone with the MP57's instead, which are slightly more forgiving but less workable. With something of a variable swing at the moment I wanted something that allowed me to hit a bit straighter and not give me the option of shaping em so much (cause I'd go with that all the time).

The irons were going okay, so I decided I'd change balls at the halfway mark … going from Titleists AVX, to Wilson FG Tour balls. The Wilsons are much softer and don't fly anywhere near as far (a club difference I reckon), but they do spin their tittts off around the green.

Anyway I played the back half in 2 over (18 points), so a total of 33 points today, or 7 over … pfft, so a bit of a nothing round.

The good out of the round ….. my putting funnily enough. I was playing around with ball position during the round, moving it forward, moving it back, and finally opening the stance a la Jack Nicklaus, and I saw the line a lot better with the open stance, so I might start out like that next round.

The other good bit I noted  ….. never ever use Wilsons on long holes, cause they go nowhere off the tee. On the short holes 160m and under, they are really good, I just need to hit a half a club more off the tee.

The bad bits, the body is a bit sore post round, mainly around the hips and groin, so I might have tweaked something at work in the last few days, and a lot of my bad shots today were due to "arm swings", eg, subconsciously not wanting to use my body correctly due to the joint stiffness pain.

Not to worry, I got through the round in one piece and had fun. I might tempt fate and go for another hit tomorrow, before my scheduled Tuesday comp round …. or I might not,

Life is good though ……  :D

• Tochakka likes this

WINS

#9939 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19950 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

Update time from today's Stableford comp up on the rolling hills of Beacy.

Started off with 3 respectable, if slightly scrambling, pars, then went birdie, birdie, birdie …. to be 3 under after 6 holes. I then went bogey par bogey to round out the front half at 1 under.

A slightly disappointing last few holes, with a couple of minor errors on holes 7 and 9 in shot selection that cost me dearly.

Onto the back half and had a lucky escaping par on 10, then two bad holes where I dropped 3 shots, then a couple more pars before I went off the rails again with another bad shot or two. I finished out the round with some wasted holes, and slid way down the leader board with a lack lustre 5 over par 76.

For a round that at times, showed a fair bit of promise, it really was a complete wasted round. Hopefully though I learned something from the round, and I reckon I just might have ….

On the front half I was just cruising along and playing steadily, with not much effort expended, and then I tried to overswing on a couple of shots in particular, which of course cost me dearly.

The same thing happened on all of my bad shots today, both from the tee and the fairway .. simply overswinging.

Around the greens and I was playing okay with some nice putts dropping or going close (using the Nicklaus open & crouched stance).

The line is so much easier to see putting this way, and for the most part, when the putts did miss, it was because I simply picked the wrong line ……. so I'm sticking with it (particularly after the 3 good birdie putts in a row).

So …….. in future, I've got to stop overswinging, particularly as the round goes along.

As Butch Harmon is always saying, "You've got to swing within yourself" . which is probably why he is on the big bucks he is. Hopefully after today's wasted chance at a good score ….. his words will sink in …..  ;)

My next round is due on Sunday ….. 

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 01 January 2019 - 01:35 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

WINS

#9940 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19950 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:03 AM

Quick update .... played Sunday, not much to report as the score was somewhere around about the handicap from memory.

Today's round was yet another one though, where I let it slip it touch.

I finished 6 over par (34 points), so a bit of a nothing round, with a few birdie putts missed, and a few bad shots that cost me.

Not to worry, it was good fun out there today, and yet another perfect day for golfing.

Hopefully I'll be able to replace my driver soon, as the new Cobra clubs are starting to arrive in the country.

We got the new Cobra F9 irons into work the other day, and they feel nice to hit, despite being chunky looking to my eye, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my new driver, once it arrives.

Oh, and just on more golf equipment ..... I also got a sneak peek at the new line-up from Taylormade (M5's and M6's). They are slightly different to the previous models both in the woods and irons, and it will be interesting to see how the adjustable M5 driver goes, once its released.

It's a fun time at the moment though, with lots of new clubs flooding the market in the next month or two, as the U.S. gets its "summer release" of the 2019 clubs from all the various manufacturers.

Anyway, that's golf done now until the weekend, so I've got a good few days to plan my next round's tactics.  :D

WINS

#9941 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19950 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

Update time once again ....... played last Sunday from memory .... it didn't go well.

Played again today  …. Stroke round … got to love that format!!

• Shot 75 OTS
  • Hit every par 3 in reg
  • Missed I reckon  "double figures"  in terms of birdie putts
  • And threw away a half decent round with bogeys on each of the last 3 holes …. dickhead.

Not even close to getting a ball in the rundown ( a guy who "raised the bat" whilst still out on the course and shot 31 over, got a ball ........ffs.

They should have given him a set of farken lawn bowls instead …….. (no offence Goldy) ;)

Next round should be Sunday.

(Fun time at work though atm …. hitting some new "Flash" clubs, among many other new offerings.)

WINS

#9942 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19950 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

Time for a quick "year in review" ...........

Started 2018 on the handicap of 4.8

Started 2019 on the handicap of 4.7

Expected to reach "scratch" in 2066 ….  ;)

• Weetbix, Francie, iRON MiCK and 1 other like this

WINS

#9943 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19950 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

Quick update ....... Sunday Stableford 36 points (5 over, 76)

There were a lot of half decent shots, plenty of average ones thrown into the mix, and some shots were either rubbish, or ..... just rubbish that I couldn't recover from on the hole in question

No putts of note were sunk for the round, so it was another pretty "ordinary" and boring effort in all.

I wouldn't mind so much if I hit some really good shots during the round, (and still hit some shockers), but whilst my shots are thereabouts, they are definitely not on the money.

The trouble is though, that I can't be bothered trying to play "golfswing", I've better things to do with my time, so I might have to find another way to attack the issue of all these wayward, and slightly wayward shots.

So, next planned round is tomorrow's "Tuesday comp" among the old bandits bastards, and a swap of iron sets will be the bag change this week.

Oh, and in other news …. today at work I put in the order for my shiny new driver.... so hopefully it won't be far away.

It's to be a F9 Speedback, the nice yellow version, 9 degree of loft and a Project X -Hzrdus Smoke, 70 odd grams of stiff shaft (for those technically minded).

The driver comes direct from Cobra, courtesy of a particularly good par 3 tee shot on the Simulator during their product launch a month or two ago.

I'm not sure if it will boot my old driver out of the bag permanently, but I'll give the new one a decent run, (and no doubt, a good tinkering) once it lobs on the doorstep.

Anyway, its golf in less than 12 hours …..  :D

• Weetbix likes this

WINS

#9944 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3123 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

So you've chosen the new driver based on the simulator and its figures, Gaz ?

Thought you'd at least try it on the course first before buying, retail personified !

I'm guessing it will be a fabulous summer, fine weather club. And be duly relegated to the cupboard during Winter and Spring, when it's cold and breezy :)

Jon...

• Francie likes this

#9945 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19950 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

So you've chosen the new driver based on the simulator and its figures, Gaz ?

Thought you'd at least try it on the course first before buying, retail personified !

I'm guessing it will be a fabulous summer, fine weather club. And be duly relegated to the cupboard during Winter and Spring, when it's cold and breezy :)

Jon...

I've hit a fair few drivers of late Jon (and will no doubt continue to do so).

The specs for the Cobra aren't too dissimilar from my existing driver, so it won't be that much of a leap of faith I figure. Time will tell of course how it goes in all conditions, but hey, the price can't be beaten …..  :)

WINS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users