#9796 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15955 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:36 PM

Hey its only one shot every 3 holes you need to eliminate.

18.4 by June  2019  - 1.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

#9797 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25103 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

Hey its only one shot every 3 holes you need to eliminate.

Good suggestion, you try that Mick.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#9798 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Had a bit of a swing in the sim today at work with some irons (it was pretty quiet due to the sunshine and lots of our customers were actually out on course for a change).

It was interesting to see what my natural tendencies are with the irons. When I'm swinging normally ... I swing "in to out" by about 3 degrees thru impact, and with the clubface square everything draws rightward as physics demands.

When I'm on course of late I've been trying to square the clubface, when in reality, I should start with it just a touch open at address ..... so I get a gentle draw and not a big draw.

It's something that I need to focus ongoing forward (opening the clubface a tad) in order to get out of the habit of squaring the clubface at address.

On the sim the shots were just curling nicely back to the target with an open clubface, and it felt very comfortable, so unless there is a pin tucked leftward or the wind is not favourable ... it is probably my "go to" shot.

I can pretty comfortably hit fades with the irons, (being a cover driver of some distinction back in the day) whereas my draws need a little more thought applied.

Having access to the sims at work though, is really good …. as they are a bloody good golf teacher.

Anyway, a slight change of clubs planned for tomorrow's OOM at Carl Lewis ….. out are the Mizuno wedges, in with the Clevelands . and out with the MP68's and in with the MP32's …… just because I can ….  ;)

• Francie and Forrest Gardener like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9799 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25103 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:39 PM

You could have adjusted the lie angle, to tone down that draw.

Just because you could.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#9800 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

Update time from the recent round down at Curlewis.

After a couple of hours drive, not much in the way of a worthwhile warm up, a quick change of starting holes, and it was a slow start to proceedings in terms of scoring.

I started to come good after a couple of holes, as the body loosened, but I found a few ways to self destruct, one of which was jarring the crap out of my top hand and wrist when hitting from out of the chunky rough. That got a touch painful for a while, then eased …. until I did it again somewhere about and about on our back 9 ( I think it was the par 5 that curls around and disappears up its own date).

Along the way there was a bunch of wasted chances, and some horrid shots with every club in the bag. Every club in the bag ran the full spectrum from good to woeful at some stage. I sunk some nice length putts, and then went and 3 putted from about 10 feet. I hit some nice drives, and then hit one into the rough that barely got past the ladies tees ………… and so it went throughout the round.

I think it was a high 20's or so effort in terms of stableford points at the end, so not good.

Not to worry, it was a fun round with Frank Rob, and Bradley, so I enjoyed it despite my own golf, and hopefully I can take a few things out of the round … and make a few tweaks to my game.

Next planned round is back at Beacy on Thursday, which I am led to believe is only 20 minutes away .. bargain!! ;)

• Francie likes this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

#9801 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

You could have adjusted the lie angle, to tone down that draw.

Just because you could.

I might check that out OB …….  ;)

WINS

#9802 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:48 PM

In the meantime, many thanks to Ink for the LH Putter on Sunday.

Tis a Yes Valerie ….. which should suit I reckon.

It's 33 inch, same as my existing putter, face balanced (suited to a more SBST stroke), also the same as my existing putter …….. so it could make a very good alternative when my usual gamer misbehaves (as they all do).

So many thanks Inky ……. I'll certainly give it a crack in the very near future …..  :D

• iRON MiCK and Putting the ink in kinky like this

WINS

#9803 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

Update time from this morning's comp round ….. Stableford, and it was always going to be an interesting affair.

My recent hand / wrist injury flared up even before having a practice putt, so I was of the mindset not to go too hard through any shot lest the jarring do my head, and hand in. In addition, I'd chucked out the 3W, the iron set, the wedges and the putter, and replaced them all.

The only thing that remained was my driver.

With Inky's LH putter, I had a few practice putts and they felt okay, so into the bag it went, along with a gaybrid and a full complement of "iron" and wedge replacements.

This morning we played as a 3 and moved ourselves up the front of the field, so no real warm up yet again.

Anyway, I started off with a very relaxed drive to the left rough, which brought only a twinge to the top hand … then spilt my coffee over when I was attaching the sand bucket to the clicgear ……not such a good start after all.

I then hit an nice easy fading 9 iron off the grassy mound to about 8 feet from the pin, and a good first putt with Inky's putter had my marker writing down 3 for 4.

There followed a solid par, followed by a scrambling par (a crappy gaybrid shot on the hole, why do I bother with them I ask?), and another couple of pars followed. I then got on the bogey train to round out the front half.

Time for an actual full cup of coffee, (rather than one sip then throw it away) …. and I pulled the drive into the trees, but no real damage done. Ended up with a bogey, moving on. We played thru a group of 4 Japanese tourists on the par 3 11th …... and then had "clean air" once again for the remainder of the round.

We pretty much raced through the back nine and were done in just a tick over 3 hours.

Oh. and I also drew a bit of claret today ….. from myself.

After a few holes I could feel one of my toenails trying to mate with the toe next door, and the farken thing never eased up. After 14 holes I finally thought I'd best investigate, so I got the shoe off and yep, a bit of claret was there as one pointy toenail was slowly digging a tunnel through the toe next door, but I digress.

I faded slightly during the back nine to finish the round with 37 points, good mate Bradley got 38 (and lost on a countback to some chopper who he gave a dozen shots to), and our playing partner got 36 points, so good scores, and some decent golf all around from the three of us.

And I reckon that's the secret to good golf …. no standing around waiting, just get on with it and keep moving. We were all done by half past 10, all 3 of us shot in the 70's, and a good time was had by all.

Oh, and a quick club / bag update post round.

The MP68 irons are staying, as are the wedges, Driver and Ink's putter, but the stupid gaybrid is out.

In is the 2 iron of goodness which I just finished re-gripping, to make a welcome return in Sunday's comp (next hit out) …

Happy days !!!……  :)

• iRON MiCK and Forrest Gardener like this

WINS

#9804 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:02 PM

Gaz, imagine if you had your 2 iron shaft or something similar in the gaybrid ?

Maybe a bit lighter steel shaft with the right flex, swingweight like your irons and even a little shorter like your irons.

Getting my drift - theme here ?

Worth a try bigfella, will give you some stability, accuracy and setup alot easier to swing and hit !

Jon...

ps: Think outside the box to get better results. 

#9805 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:40 PM

Gaz, imagine if you had your 2 iron shaft or something similar in the gaybrid ?

Maybe a bit lighter steel shaft with the right flex, swingweight like your irons and even a little shorter like your irons.

Getting my drift - theme here ?

Worth a try bigfella, will give you some stability, accuracy and setup alot easier to swing and hit !

Jon...

ps: Think outside the box to get better results. 

Now I like that thinking Jon ……. sort of an old school set up isn't it ?

I do recall I used to hit a small headed 5 wood around the turn of the century, which had a steel shaft arrangement. Might have to investigate it all a bit further I reckon …..  ;)

WINS

#9806 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

Update time from today's Par comp up at Beacy …... back tees.

Starting without my usual batman for a change (Bradley), in stepped Wasabipea for the mornings round (I'm tipping he never looked up from Jane's chest last night to take note of the actual forecast, cause he turned up!!)

So, teeing off in only slight precipitation, I managed a solid plus on the 1st then gave it back on the 2nd. I played a few solid holes and had a couple of near misses, and rounded out the front half with a nice birdie putt to finish on exactly ....... zero.

The umbrella had been out a couple of times, the wet weather jacket on and off, and the sun had made an occasional appearance .... so a real mixed bag up in the hills this morning.

Onto the back half and a solid half, a minus, a plus, a half, and so it went. Again it was umbrella both up and then down again, and as I stood on the 18th tee, I needed a par for a return of exactly ...…. zero for the day.

A nice gentle fade to the fairway with driver, an easy 7 iron up to the green, and two putts, and my round was complete.

Not much to report in fact, aside from the fact I reckon Inky's putter is out of the bag going forward, as I missed some very gettable ones today.

The slightly smaller head on the "Yes" putter (compared to my old Sabertooth), is just that little bit harder to line up, so my old putter is back in the bag going forward.

Oh, and the "2 iron of goodness" went okay today on the couple of times that I used it.

The 2 iron / hybrid / 3W option is the 2nd longest club option in my bag, and I probably only use them a couple of times a round at the most, hence I can swap them over without too much damage to the game. (3 iron on down is non negotiable)

I might keep the 2 iron though over the other alternatives, so aside from the driver …… I'd never get my bag through a metal detector.

Oh, and I finished 2nd in the comp today beaten my one of the playing partners who finished at +2. I did shoot the best round of the day out of the huge field of 18 …... but that counts for nought (apart from pride :D )

Next planned round …… Thursday comp all being well.

• iRON MiCK and Forrest Gardener like this

WINS

#9807 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:03 PM

Update tme from this week's golfing pursuits .......

Played Thursday ........ around 30 points.

Played Saturday ......... front barely double figures, back half 20 ..... around 30 points or just a tick over.

Thursdays issues …… missing greens, poor chipping and putting

Club adjustments post Thurday…….

Poor move ....... went with a blade putter for the weekend round, and will swap back to the old mallet.

Good move ...… I bent the MP68 irons a degree or two flatter and came out and hit them very nicely on Saturday.

So that was the golfing done for this week …..  :)

• Weetbix and iRON MiCK like this

WINS

#9808 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:47 PM

Flatter Gaz, you must be getting old, lack of clubhead speed !

You'll be in the senior flex graphite shafts soon :)

Jon...

• iRON MiCK likes this

#9809 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:23 PM

Flatter Gaz, you must be getting old, lack of clubhead speed !

You'll be in the senior flex graphite shafts soon :)

Jon...

Not sure about that Jon. (senior graphite, etc)

I figure that a touch flatter is the way to go for me considering my desire to shape the ball, and "flatter" tends to be easier to for me to shape.

And anyway …… I seem to recall a couple of years ago that you bent a set flatter for me .. ;)

• iRON MiCK likes this

WINS

#9810 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:43 PM

Update time from an interesting round of sorts this morning.

With the old Sabertooth putter back in the bag the putts were rolling nicely on the practice green. Had a few quick hits in the net and they were all out of the middle … so the signs were good pre round.

Started with a nice drive, a decent iron shot and a solid two putt par.

Bogeyed the 2nd  ....... My tee shot landed on the green and then rolled thru into the fringe, and 3 putts followed.

On the 3rd, I hit a decent drive, and a solid 3W to the front fringe, and a nice downhill right to left curling putt for eagle.

4th, a good drive wasted (bogey)

5th …. a good drive wasted (bogey)

6th …. a poor tee shot some crappy chipping and putting

7th … good tee shot, average approach shot . poor chip and putts

8th … a good tee shot …….. poor approach, bad chip and putt

9th ….. a good tee shot, a good approach shot, and just as I was about to putt for birdie, the playing partner on marking his ball, realised that we'd just hit each other's balls from the fairway …………. so a wipe it was. (We were both using Chromesoft No's 2, and the markings I'd put on my ball had faded due to the dew on the ground etc)

So, a much needed coffee, a few choice words directed at myself for not picking the error up prior to hitting, and back out again.

The back half was just a tale of ordinary golf with lots of putts of all types being missed.

A couple of lessons learned from today ….. every putter needs time in the sin bin, and I need to get my old 8.5 Degree Titleist head back in the bag.

While the 12 degree is solid enough, it lacks distance and penetration. I am losing about 20m at the moment I reckon. I'm getting no run whatsoever on landing, and the ball is simply flying too high …….

If "hangtime" were distance then I'd be in the top 5 % I reckon at the moment  ...…. so the 8.5 will be back in the bag again, and hopefully the lost distance will return ……

And that's golf for another few days …….  ;)

WINS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users