15 replies to this topic

#1 Rodney85

Rodney85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

Hi all, I live about 1pm from concord golf club and I am really keen to get a game there anyone know if they let social players anytime on the weekends?

#2 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

would you believe no ...

#3 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

Thinking about moving over to the Concord area, does anyone know the current waiting list at Concord GC? and if, whilst on the waiting list, you are able to have any access at all to the course? Does it have practice facilities on the right hand side of the 1st? what are they like? Would it be on par with Avondale? or better?

#4 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

Golf wise its probably not much different to Avondale. Its a qulaity course with good facilities all round. Its in the suburbs near busy roads so you don't get the feeling of total seclusion that you get playing Avondale. As a club its would be a lot different its a new money joint, Avondale is very much an old money course.

#5 Bushwood

Bushwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

Proulx, yes Concord has practice range and bunker right side of first tee. I doubt very much they will give you any access whilst on the waiting list, but worth asking them. I think the waiting list at Concord is down to 2 years now. I prefer the Avondale course but I suppose the difference really isn't that great.

#6 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Golf wise its probably not much different to Avondale. Its a qulaity course with good facilities all round. Its in the suburbs near busy roads so you don’t get the feeling of total seclusion that you get playing Avondale.

As a club its would be a lot different its a new money joint, Avondale is very much an old money course.

Thanks for that info, 2 years waiting list is not really a surprise, The Lakes is a top quality "brand new" course and doesn't have a waiting list. The joining fee is too much of a disincentive these days. In that Inner West area, is anything comparable to Concord? Appreciate all comments

#7 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:45 AM

Golf wise its probably not much different to Avondale. Its a qulaity course with good facilities all round. Its in the suburbs near busy roads so you don’t get the feeling of total seclusion that you get playing Avondale.

As a club its would be a lot different its a new money joint, Avondale is very much an old money course.

Thanks for that info, 2 years waiting list is not really a surprise, The Lakes is a top quality “brand new” course and doesn’t have a waiting list. The joining fee is too much of a disincentive these days.

In that Inner West area, is anything comparable to Concord?

Appreciate all comments

No. If want a different option then you will have to travel further or lower your standards a bit.

#8 Bushwood

Bushwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

The Lakes is a top quality “brand new” course and doesn’t have a waiting list. The joining fee is too much of a disincentive these days.

Out of curioisty, how much is The Lakes GC asking these days?

#9 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

35K and guess what else you get for that joining fee......... Nothing!

#10 Palmeister

Palmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Gotta pay for Claytons sandgardens,

#11 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:27 AM

35K and guess what else you get for that joining fee…......

Nothing!

Champions League you’re having a laugh…..

What else would you expect to get....its a golf club.? If you want a free set of clubs with your membership or a years worth of golf balls its not your scene. ....and don't anyone say that if you had a lazy $35k to spend on a golf membership you wouldn't do it.

#12 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

Thinking about moving over to the Concord area, does anyone know the current waiting list at Concord GC? and if, whilst on the waiting list, you are able to have any access at all to the course?

Does it have practice facilities on the right hand side of the 1st? what are they like?

Would it be on par with Avondale? or better?

Wait list is down to approx 2 years if you have a strong proposer and seconder (used to be pushing 10years). You will not be able to access the practice facilities if you're on the waiting list (I doubt any club would allow that). There is a plan in place to improve the practice facilities although it does the job currently. Concord vs Avondale. Concord has held major pro tourney's and avondale hasnt. Avondale can get very hot in summer. Concord is a great club, down to earth members, strong club vibe without going overboard.

#13 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

Great summary Nike thanks. Are you a member? I don't know the area very well, but soon need to upgrade house and Eastern Suburbs too pricey, thus looking inner west. How does the course cope with heavy rain?

#14 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

Great summary Nike thanks. Are you a member? I don’t know the area very well, but soon need to upgrade house and Eastern Suburbs too pricey, thus looking inner west. How does the course cope with heavy rain?

Like most courses in Sydney it can struggle a bit although its still at the top end of the list. A few weeks back during the heavy rain the course was closed one Saturday. Most Sydney courses are unfortunately clay based as opposed to sand based. Thats why our southern neighbours refer to us as having the claybelt (they have the sandbelt). With the exception of courses like The Lakes, The Doon, Eastlakes even & NSWGC in Sydney there arent too many sand based courses. Courses like Pymble, Avondale, PH and Concord can get nailed with the rain. Like any top shelf golf club expect to be paying high annual subs.

#15 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

I know that The Aussie is $4.5 per year and Royal is about $4. Is Concord that high? Great article in this month's Golf Digest. Both Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath have waiting lists under 2 years!!! Provided of course you know enough members willing to nominate you. I struggle to work out how the joining fee at The Lakes and The Aussie is more than double Royal Melb/Syd, Kingston Heath and NSW. The Lakes and Aussie Committees must have "too tight a grip of themselves"...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users