55 replies to this topic

#46 Pozza

Pozza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

I go to Cobram every year for a boys trip. It's a great spot as you have the accomodation basically on course. 36 holes at Cobram plus Tocumwal is 15 minutes down the roadas well.

#47 Pinged

Pinged

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

I'm just back from a weekend at Corowa. It is not as we'll known as the courses further west but it certainly deserves to be considered when discussing Murray courses. It has 27 holes. It has struggled financially in the past 12 months but judging by the amount of people playing things must be turning around as it was busy. Course was in pretty good shape and the greens were in mint condition with the locals saying they were still a bit slow compared to their usual speed (they seemed slick to me). They only have 18 carts so book early if you want one. Howlong is also a fun, if easy course to play. 18 at Howlong followed by a 20 minute drive to Corowa would be an enjoyable day of golf.

#48 ChipGMac

ChipGMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the posts everyone. If you had to rank the best courses from Yarrawonga, Cobram Barooga, Tocumwal, Howlong and Corowa, where would they land? Just trying to gather local/visitor knowledge so we don't make the wrong choices. Cheers

#49 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1660 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

1. Cobram (old) - Super design , beautiful bunkering 2. Yarrawonga - Murray - plays long always in great condition 3.Yarrawonga - Lakes - testing par 4's 4.Toc - always confused with the different nines ! good test. 5. Cobram (new) - good on a still day 6. Corowa 7. Howlong .... good but not a great test

#50 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37976 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

1. Yarrawong - Lakes - A little more open and "resorty" but still a test. 2. Yarrawonga - Murray - plays long and can get very hot out there if there's no breeze in summer. 3. Cobram - Old course - I haven't played there for a long time but if it's in good condition....very enjoyable and good bunkering as Voss said 4. Tocumwal - I also get confused with the different 9's but a good test. (Playing both courses on week of 12/11) 5. Cobram - new course - A little more open than the old course 6. Corowa - it's also been a while..... but a good mix of tight and open holes, from memory. 7. Howlong.....played it once I think and if it's the one I'm thinking about......fairly flat I might add - 9 holes 'Black Bull' course (Yarrawonga) is worth a hit. Always in good nick and some challenging holes inside a housing estate. It is quite open and can be affected by the winds.

#51 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Agree with most of the comments above, you can't really go wrong up that way. I notice Rich River isn't on there, and I reckon Shepparton, whilst not on the Murray per se (only 45min from it) is also worth consideration.

#52 ChipGMac

ChipGMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for that. Would you play both courses at Cobram over the courses at Tocumwal?

#53 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

Anyone playing the 36 holer at Cobram this weekend. Looks like great weather for it.

#54 Stix1771

Stix1771

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Yarrawonga/Mulwala is head and shoulders above in terms of: 2. 5 courses Murray - is the best and a real test Lakes - has two different nines, the back 9 is very tough on a hot summers day Executive - a great way to tune up your game in the morning Clubhouse - has everything you need, beer, big T'V's, Pokies, TAB, outdoor area, barefoot bowls, Accommodation Has a great standard for everyone. With the pool, tennis courts and clubhouse etc...all in very close proximity Night time options Plenty of options, clubhouse itself, the RSL, the Water ski club and many pubs, much better than the other towns on the Murray, who are a lot more limited... All in all we've been to Tocumwal, Cobram, Swan Hill, Albury, Rutherglen, and Echuca.....and we keep coming back the Yarra....

#55 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:36 AM

Bit of a bump!

But just wanted to say how good the Yarrawonga and Border Golf Club is as a destination for a group of guys. The golf package there just makes thing so easy to organise and enjoy your time there. I just organised a trip there for 11 guys (although 2 late withdrawals thanks to Jetstar cancelling flights) you arrive, check in is easy, rooms were fantastic perched up over the Lakes 13th green in the Acacia Suites - beers on the balcony watching golfers 3 putt is always satisfying. Meals were better quality than general pub fare, footy on the big screen and two quality golf courses.

We have been going up for 21 years and love it every time.

As far as courses go there may be better on the Murray - such as Murray Downs but as a package of service, location and facilities Yarrawonga is top notch.

• Francie and iRON MiCK like this

#56 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

Looking forward to my trip to the Murray this weekend. Tocumwal Captains Course on Saturday & Black Bull (my favourite course) on Sunday morning. Can’t wait!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users