52 replies to this topic

#46 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Nikey spot on. you’d have to be a ducking moron togo forthat.

can anyone point to a club with the share or debenture structure that has actually been a good financial investment?

Ppretty much allare merely lifestyle choices forthe rich and shameless. I wish I was rich as I would definitely be shameless :-)

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Agree. I do t live in Melbourne / Vic but at the prices the Nash is going for its unbeatable. You have guys selling memberships they paid $24k for in 2004-5 for $10k now....great investment..... But in saying that.....at$10k if you live in close by its am absolute steel......and tats why I can't see a new top shelf course at $1ook joining working. The Nash these days is cheap.....

#47 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

The Nash is not cheap b'cos you will need to buy a holiday ppty. too :-( Meanwhile, am playing at Cape Schanck perhaps twice a year.

#48 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

The Nash is not cheap b’cos you will need to buy a holiday ppty. too :-(

Meanwhile, am playing at Cape Schanck perhaps twice a year.

ellimb

What's wrong with driving there to play. Geez I know if we had that type of facility here in Sydney 45-50 mins from the CBD there'd be many making the trip weekly. You guys have it too good down there!

#49 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

ellimb

What’s wrong with driving there to play. Geez I know if we had that type of facility here in Sydney 45-50 mins from the CBD there’d be many making the trip weekly. You guys have it too good down there!

All depends on your time constraints. Makes a long, long day travelling an hour plus each way. Its at least that for a lot of people to The Nash. Plus if its your only membership where and when do you practice? Those facilities arent readily available for quality facilities.

#50 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

ellimb

What’s wrong with driving there to play. Geez I know if we had that type of facility here in Sydney 45-50 mins from the CBD there’d be many making the trip weekly. You guys have it too good down there!

All depends on your time constraints. Makes a long, long day travelling an hour plus each way. Its at least that for a lot of people to The Nash. Plus if its your only membership where and when do you practice? Those facilities arent readily available for quality facilities.

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Agreed. I'm talking from a potential second club membership. It would be a luxury but from a golf tragic's point of view having a three course facility is unheard of. Lucky I've got reciprocals.

#51 Drivingitlong

Drivingitlong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

sorry i might be missing something here but who in their 20s and 30s can afford to pay 20 to 30k for a membership share that really has no value, just to secure regular games of golf. how will these type of clubs attract new members and how will they on sell them in the future . a share is only as valuble as someone is willing to pay for it. what happens when some one has to sell in a hurry then sells the share for less. these golf clubs need to get into the 21st century they are not worth what they are charging if they were they would be viable, its simple economics the sandbelt needs to stop looking at the baby boomers to fill their coffers these people are getting very old their retirement fund has taken a hit of late or they are just too old to keep playing. as soon as clubs get with the program and actually change the way they go about doing things they will not be there in 5 or 10 years time and what do you do with your share then.

#52 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

sorry i might be missing something here but who in their 20s and 30s can afford to pay 20 to 30k for a membership share that really has no value, just to secure regular games of golf.

how will these type of clubs attract new members and how will they on sell them in the future . a share is only as valuble as someone is willing to pay for it. what happens when some one has to sell in a hurry then sells the share for less.

these golf clubs need to get into the 21st century they are not worth what they are charging if they were they would be viable, its simple economics

the sandbelt needs to stop looking at the baby boomers to fill their coffers these people are getting very old their retirement fund has taken a hit of late or they are just too old to keep playing.

as soon as clubs get with the program and actually change the way they go about doing things they will not be there in 5 or 10 years time and what do you do with your share then.

Most of them worked this out 5-7 years ago.....the rest went /will go into administration. You don't buy golf memberships as an investment......simple.

#53 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

The other thing with shares is they replace/undercut the joining fee income stream. If a shares model is successful (and I am not saying they are) then the club gets only 1 sale plus maybe they get a share of subsequent transfers whereas with joining fees they get to sell them over and over again. In my view shares and joining fees are becoming unsustainable (if they haven't already become unsustainable). Demand for club membership has plummeted overall. There are more memberships available than there are players willing to fill them. Quality second tier clubs are regularly doing deals and spruiking for members. Third tier clubs are really struggling. The sandbelt hasn't felt the blast yet but its coming, they don't have the deep waiting list they once had and in spite of some efforts their membership continues to age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users