62 replies to this topic

#31 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

I'll answer my own question. No day light saving in WA. Next question. Can I finish 18 hole (2 balls) teeing off at 3 pm ? Cheers Have a Foster

#32 Faldos_Lovechild

Faldos_Lovechild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

I’ll answer my own question. No day light saving in WA.

Next question. Can I finish 18 hole (2 balls) teeing off at 3 pm ?

Cheers
Have a Foster

ellimb

unlikley, you probably get in 14-15 holes

#33 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:15 AM

So sun set about 6:30 pm right ? But it is alright not to finish 'cos I was told the MUST play course is the 'quarry' 9 holes. How long to drive from The Vines to Joondulap ? cheers

#34 Faldos_Lovechild

Faldos_Lovechild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

So sun set about 6:30 pm right ? But it is alright not to finish ‘cos I was told the MUST play course is the ‘quarry’ 9 holes.

How long to drive from The Vines to Joondulap ?
cheers

ellimb

15-20 minute drive in normal conditions quarry 9 followed by the dune 9, the lakes is the last choice

#35 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2461 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

15-20 minute drive in normal conditions

quarry 9 followed by the dune 9, the lakes is the last choice

May be possible in your Farrari FLC, but in ones avarage Toyota, more like 25 to 30 minutes.

#36 Faldos_Lovechild

Faldos_Lovechild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

15-20 minute drive in normal conditions

quarry 9 followed by the dune 9, the lakes is the last choice

May be possible in your Farrari FLC, but in ones avarage Toyota, more like 25 to 30 minutes.

Control is doing the shortest possible stroke to make the shot.

helicopter :)

#37 Faldos_Lovechild

Faldos_Lovechild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:20 AM

good result for Burswood with Tiger Woods playing an event for James Packer there in early November

#38 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2461 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:52 AM

May be the last time they play there before they rip the course up to build the new stadium.

#39 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

Well I played The Links, Kenndy Bay and is very good indeep. Only thing is the holes are not that very distinguish from one to another. And I heard it is not playable at certain times in summer because of the Doctor wind. Can move the ball when greens are quick. The conditions are better than St. Andrew Beach but St. Andrew has more distinctive holes. The lakes course is much better than Ellenbrook in The Vines.

#40 PoliceState

PoliceState

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:09 AM

For the amount of traffic Wembley gets, it is kept in amazing condition and gets my vote. The driving range is great but putting and chipping areas are so-so. Best place to work on your short game is Burswood by a country mile, but the driving range is awful.

#41 Tigers_Wood

Tigers_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

Kwinana is a surprisingly good semi-private course. Quite a nice layout, a couple of challenging holes but wide fairways and forgiving rough. The course condition is outstanding though, with a big team of groundskeepers (getting in the way at times) they keep it in great nick year round by the looks. Pricey @ $32 for 18 midweek, but worth the dollars considering it's going back in to the course. Nice members too, had a few cans after with some of the old fellas and had a laugh, especially as a bloke 30m from the green managed to hit the roof of the bar about 90m away, right at us. Playing Collier Park next week for the first time in maybe 16 years.

#42 pim

pim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

Wembley! I think they are having a lend of you: Glen Iris is far superior - although a short course (similar to Wembley); all holes are interesting with plenty of fairway and green-side bunkers of varying depths and design; All par 3 holes are lined with water and require accuracy and par 5's have a variety lengths and difficulty - from the easy 17th 455mtrs to the uphill 3rd of some 510mtrs! No two par 4's are the same - although on the shorter side (9th and 15th being more than 380mtrs), all are interesting with hills and dog-legs and raised greens - and can be played with a variety of clubs from the tee - something longer courses do not encourage. This is an excellent course for the average golfer who likes the opportunity to attack greens, as much with irons as with woods. Kennedy Bay is wonderful...and brutal when the wind is blowing. Beautiful links course with piles of pot bunkers ...treachery is everywhere once you have ventured off the fairway. Bring your 'A' game - or bring a bag full of balls! And you can (almost/seemingly) have the whole course to yourself during the week...easily one of my favourite haunts. It is an easy course to walk - which i consider to be a pre-requisite for consideration as 'a good public course'. This course also is an absolute pleasure to play because of its low patronage which allows you to play at your own pace; but also because it just has a lovely relaxed feel about it - away from suburbia and traffic noise. Kwinana is worth a look - although quite long with a couple of steep hills on the back nine: It is worth a look if only for the excellent greens - fast with extremely subtle breaks. Your putter will be tested here! I include this course because the fairways are very good and the greens are an excellent test.

#43 pim

pim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

I have just played Lakewood shores, Binningup (about 1 hour south of Mandurah): Although just 9 holes, it may be the most 'gorgeous' course in WA. I played it a few times when in Bunbury for a week - have promised myself to make the drive once a month just for the pleasure of this little gem.

#44 johnno31

johnno31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

I played Kalgoorlie a few times in early 2013. Fabulous layout with lush fairways and very true well grassed greens - a bit slow if any criticism. Just show what can be achieved with a bit if effort and a lot of water.

#45 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

Ewww - public

Well if you must. Actually perth is well served.  Wembley is very good if basic.  Collier park is ghastly architecture, but public punters love the mounds and ponds.  Maranagaroo and caramar ok if not inspiring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users