644 replies to this topic

#16 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

I never heard John McEnroe or other tennis players complain about racquets going from wood to graphite etc. They adapted.

But they never made the court smaller or the net higher.

#17 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25183 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

I played a few weeks ago with a good mate who uses persimmon. Had another mate there, a longish hitter, tad more than me. I hit a good drive with my big TM driver, then he used the persimmon 1W and it was next to my ball. He would add 10mts with the new club. The ball probably has more to do with it? There has always been long hitters, do these clubs really make that much difference for the long guys? Or they they just level out the playing field? Though not everyone using them can drive 300 anyhow. Norman was hitting all the par 5's in 2 in the early days with his persimmon. I'm no naysayer by the way, love the sound and feel of persimmon, love the look too actually.

#18 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16203 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

Tennis is a good example of the tech changing the way players hit the ball. Top spin, and back court ralleying ala Raffa, Jokovic, etc. Fed just used his natural talent to slice them up, but with age he can't anymore. Connors, Bjorn, McEnroe, all hit the ball hard, just with more variety of play-serve volley, hang back and wait for the opportunity to move into the net. Tennis I think did change the ball, reduced the compression to make it bounce less? Should the USPGA alter the rules for the ball? Should Pro V's bee banned? That is up to them. I believe there will always be over paid sportsmen lamenting times past, and venting just an honest opinon on their beloved game. Have HCP's come down? Don't know why this is valid. Players of different era's will play a different style of game, it is the nature of sport, and golf is a sport. Tech will change the way players hit the ball, but interestingly, putting is still key. Yes broomsticks don't look good, but this is where the sport is won or lost-on the dance floor-that has not changed.

#19 GN1965

GN1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

If you read the latter pages of Hughes' site you will get a better understanding for why the equipment is detrimental to the golf swing also not just how the game and great courses have been forgotten. It's not really coming across as a bitter whinging rant, it is more of a one thing leads to another process about the golf swing and equipment being related. Too many people believe they can just go buy new equipment to improve when in fact the real heart of the problem with their game (talking amateur players mainly here) is the equipment to begin with in many regards. His Don Bradman comparison near the end of the final page is spot on the mark but everyone is brainwashed into thinking just because something is new it is actually better. Golf IMO is not just about 300 meter drives which is what club companies all want us to believe and what they really try to cater for. You shouldn't be trying to mask your bad shots you should be striving for better solid controlled strikes. His thoughts all sound very logical to me.

#20 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:02 AM

It reads like a well intentioned whinge to me. Basically I agree with the general premise of the rant and I believe that BH, Lag et al have the best interests of the game in their hearts. Unfortunately however the horse has bolted so for me it just comes across as a fruitless whinge. I agree with you Stink that Greg Norman hit lots of Par 5s in two in his day. The thing is, he was one of the few. Now every man and his dog does it. My take on it is that Norman was the world number 1 for so long because he drove the ball and struck his irons better than most of his competitors, and he was a good enough putter to capitilise. That isn't true of the recent No1 golfers, it really is more down to putting now.

#21 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5949 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:38 AM

Enjoyed his web site....finally somebody who I can relate to about the golf swing and equipment. My grandmother was a Hughes, I wonder if there is a link.

#22 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8917 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

Have any of you taken the time and effort to read pages 5-8 of Hughes site. There are some interesting thoughts there re swing, swing plan extra. Some of the stuff is typical stirring by the man but throughout the whole site there are some very interesting thoughts

#23 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:20 AM

Have any of you taken the time and effort to read pages 5-8 of Hughes site. There are some interesting thoughts there re swing, swing plan extra.

Some of the stuff is typical stirring by the man but throughout the whole site there are some very interesting thoughts

I only read the first few paragraphs. yawnnnnnn......

#24 GN1965

GN1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

The funny thing is that all the people who used to wake up in the middle of the night with erections to get up and read Lag's thread and the Showme thread here on iseek are the ones now who dismiss it all. Those two threads alone are the most wealth of information on this entire forum by about 100 miles. I have read through them and all the other stuff on here is pretty lame compared to those.Looks like admin locked their threads and sent people back to golf oblivion by hiding them way back in the archives

#25 GN1965

GN1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

I think the Lets Talk lag Golf Machine and the Showmethamoney thread are buried about 50 pages in now right there between the very informative "How high should I tee the ball" and "Will my hat backwards help me see the ball better" Don't miss the fantastic info to help your game on those beauties also HaHa

#26 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

I just read with interest Mr Hughes' view on the world of golf technology and golf course design. It smacks to me of a reformed smoker ........ he was quite happy to chase the latest and greatest when we was out there, but now that he's been superceded, he's turned all bitter and twisted. Interesting to note too how he quotes the greats, Nicklaus, Trevino, Player and Watson's views to add weight to his own particular barrow he's pushing. While some of the greats might know of Mrs Hughes (Is she the Pippa Middleton of golf?) ....... I doubt that they could pick Mr Hughes out of a line-up. Perhaps history will consign him alongside that other bitter and twisted guy Peter Thomson ....... but minus all those British Open successes of course.

#27 smAsh

smAsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1646 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:17 PM

without knowing that about the lie angles, my clubs a 2* flat and swing weight is D0. Im in the process of altering my hybrids, as they feel way too light.

#28 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Firstly I miss "Shome" round here, to be able to ask a question of a player of his calibre was fantastic, as is being able to do the same with RTL. Sure beats having another discussion about how far a series of choppers can hit a 7 iron. To the points he is making on his site, can anyone disagree? I would like to see the winding back some of the "innovations" the equipment companies (and their overly cosy relationship with the USGA and PGA Tour) have introduced over the years. Firstly for the pros (as with the grooves) and then amateurs. Rather than coming off as bitter it is more a plea for the game he loves, perhaps he and Lag have become a little evangelical but that hardly negates the points they are making.

#29 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

I don't get how stating facts is bitter and twisted... http://www.leaderboa...om/LOFTINFO.htm

#30 GN1965

GN1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

GPJ I believe you are looking at everything with the wrong perception. What Hughes talks about the likes of Watson,Player, Nicklaus have talked about for years.He is using them for an example of the ignorance of the people that have been entrusted with making the rules relating to this wonderful game we all love.I don't think he really cares he has been 'super ceded' as you suggest. I think you will find circumstance and life happenings are more related to Hughes' stepping back from the game far more than ability.He is stating the very obvious about what technology and the golf courses have done to affect the game he loves and has made his life. It is far more passion than whining as you suggest. You only have to backtrack and read his old responses on this site to see his intensity and love for the game and his willingness to project the correct knowledge to golfers of any variety and standard such as he did for those on iseek for so many months for the masses to read and consider and use for improvement. I myself would much rather listen and learn from someone who has at least been there and done it. I would listen to Shane Warne tell me how to spin bowl more so than I would listen to John Smith who took 2 for 24 at Echuca one weekend in a one day match against Rich River. All that being true I would certainly turn a blind ear to golf instruction or thoughts from people who haven't experienced golf at the highest level and who have not been through the changes golf has undertaken over the past 25 years to be able to determine the differences and share them. I have seen and heard enough BS about the swing and clubs and such on TV and in golf magazines and on golf internet forums to last me a lifetime yet when someone stands up and says the truth based on his belief from living and playing through it all he gets cried foul at and labeled a whinger. The only reason I ever joined this site in the first place was because I read his Showme thread and Lag's thread. Their knowledge and desire to wade through the crap that gets pushed on golfers and deliver some sort of truth got me inspired about the game again after not playing for many years Most of the other stuff here is rather petty discussion when compared

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users