644 replies to this topic

#1 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:53 AM

Brad's take on everything golf. He doesn't hold back... scroll down to "Equipment and the State of golf" http://bradleyhughesgolf.com/

#2 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3156 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

Brad’s take on everything golf. He doesn’t hold back…

scroll down to “Equipment and the State of golf”
http://bradleyhughesgolf.com/

Thanks for posting the link Danz, it's pretty interesting reading.

#3 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25183 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

I'm stuck between him sounding like a whinging bitter and twisted golfer (like Lagpressure) and an experienced player that has some very good points. Look at Luke Donald, a great iron player, not a bomber, he's No 3 right. The point about hitting over the trouble but then top players not hitting enough FW's doesn't equate. The Bombers are Bubba, Johnson, Woodlands, etc, none in the top 10. Not sure where I sit really.

#4 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4922 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

Here's a comparison up your alley stink: how would you feel if you devoted 20 full years to learning the finer nuances of trumpet only to watch electronic giants like Casio and Yamaha takeover and kill the fine brass-makers to dominate with digital product because it can be mass produced easier and allow substantially higher margins? And then watch teenage IT geeks take over the music scene with their fully digital outfits, including sequencing trumpets loaded with samples from the finest trumpets ever made played in world's best auditoriums. Sure, a tonne of expressiveness disappears, but 90% of the audience don't realise or even care anyway, these things still sound great and can do stuff no maestro ever could. You still love to take out your shiny piece when you're at home, it's your lifelong passion and it takes you to your special place, but you know that you're only going to get gigs if you go digital.

#5 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

I’m stuck between him sounding like a whinging bitter and twisted golfer (like Lagpressure) and an experienced player that has some very good points.

Agreed. Just surprised at the length of the ranting. I'm sure RTL would be on his side as would most of the 80's & 90's era players.

#6 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:47 AM

I agree with his sentiments because of the great courses of the world being "lengthened" to cater for technology. I don't mind that people buy a new set every year to keep abreast of this technology though. I especially agree with reducing the 460cc, but hey, none of his thoughts will ever happen, its a multi billion dollar industry...unfortunately.

#7 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

Took me 5 minutes to scroll past Mrs Hughes...talk about batting above your average.

#8 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

Here’s a comparison up your alley stink: how would you feel if you devoted 20 full years to learning the finer nuances of trumpet only to watch electronic giants like Casio and Yamaha takeover and kill the fine brass-makers to dominate with digital product because it can be mass produced easier and allow substantially higher margins?

And then watch teenage IT geeks take over the music scene with their fully digital outfits, including sequencing trumpets loaded with samples from the finest trumpets ever made played in world’s best auditoriums. Sure, a tonne of expressiveness disappears, but 90% of the audience don’t realise or even care anyway, these things still sound great and can do stuff no maestro ever could.

You still love to take out your shiny piece when you’re at home, it’s your lifelong passion and it takes you to your special place, but you know that you’re only going to get gigs if you go digital.

not exactly the best comparison. Good but has a few flaws. Golf equipment has been evolving since they started playing one form or another over 200 years ago. Sure Brad mastered his clubs and may feel duped as others come along with newer technology clubs. If he was SO good with the old clubs, he should be good enough to switch with evolving equipment. The music comparison has more to do with the listening publics tastes and trends- nothing to do with someone being able to play a trumpet over a someone pressing buttons on a sampler. I never heard John McEnroe or other tennis players complain about racquets going from wood to graphite etc. They adapted.

#9 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4922 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

The comparison was for the master craftsmen who deeply loves his craft--no-one else. Those who play for money or ego or love the excitement of buying new toys in the hope they will score lower will welcome change and easily adapt. I'm not quite sure exactly what satisfaction people get out of buying game apart from money well spent, but each to their own. Personally I've stopped playing a lot of competition golf because I don't enjoy playing with titanium yet can't compete with persimmon. So I play practice rounds now with the older clubs out and the course comes alive. No more repetitive wedge approaches, fairway bunkers are in play, greens suddenly don't hold anymore and true strategy comes in because you're now battling the architect's brilliance rather than spitting on his blueprints.

#10 golfcore

golfcore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Do you still ride in a horse and cart and watch black and white tv too?

#11 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25183 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

Steb, your analogy was very close to happening in music, you have no idea how close. Truth is though in music we're dealing with Art, sure there is pop music (commerce) and that world is dominated by electronics. I'm not bitter at all, I exist in a different world. Now maybe if BH and Lagg could accept they exist in a different world they would be far less bitter about it. I for one will not go around bagging pop music saying 'no one can play their bloody instruments' which by the way is mostly true : ) You either have to play that game and be involved, or play your own game and forget the bitter tirades. BH also says now it's just a putting comp? But surely if Hogan in his day was hitting 16 green along with his competition, it would still come down to putting? Every stroke counts right? I do see that older courses are the ones that suffer, new courses are designed for the new game, old ones are sacrificed to an extent. RTL calls a hybrid a cheat stick, yet still uses the new drivers, it's all relative. I myself Love using mainly irons now, I just get more satisfaction hitting a blade than some GI mass thing, but if I was doing it for money I'd move on.

#12 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

Took me 5 minutes to scroll past Mrs Hughes…talk about batting above your average.

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Think Brad deserves some good luck in the marriage department after what he went through

#13 TurfN3rd

TurfN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:16 PM

It's all a case of "closing the gate after the horse has bolted" This SHOULD of been dealt with 20 years ago when the metal wood age began, but wasn't and probably never will. So live with it i say. Those who say Hybrids are cheat sticks, come on seriously!! Maybe you should go back to your mashies and balata balls to please your egos. Is Y.E Yang a cheat for hitting that amazing shot with a hybrid on the 18th in the 2009 PGA championship?

#14 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4922 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

There's no problem with slow change, it's the explosive change has just left courses defenseless in it's wake. Some beauties just aren't played anymore, others lose their character by being lengthened and then only struggle financially to maintain the extra 20-30 acres and end up closing. What's the point if everyone's hitting it 30-50 yards longer? It's like allowing some new tyre with twice the grip on racing cars. Everyone's knocking 20 seconds off their best times, past records are obliterated and the world's great tracks are obsolete--just drive flat-out through the esses. But everyone's still finishing in the same order. But it's worse in golf because the balance of the game changes. You see the winner of some PGA event's stats, 12 under, 50% of fairways hit, he's -16 on the par 5s, +1 on the par 4's and +3 on the par 3's. Something's just not right there.

#15 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

I believe Brad used persimmon woods at Coolum, would be interested if anyone could confirm that. Have any of you naysayers felt the weight of a persimmon, or heard the "click" noise they make ? I would not attempt to put into words the noise some of the titanium monstrositys make. Anyway must go, horse needs feeding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users