#31 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

RTL,

Just a question on driver shafts, I have recently upgraded to a Project X 6.5 shaft in my R9. This is on the x flex scale. I was playing a stiff flex shaft that is a fair bit more softer in flex. I have a driver swing speed of 110mph. I have noticed that I have now lost about 15m differance in carry from around 260m to about 245m and my misses can now be a voilent hook, instead of a block with the old shaft. I guess my question is, should my dispersion be much better with the stiffer shaft? and can you have a shaft that is to stiff? and what are the effects of this?

Sauce,, I don't know to much about the profile of the project x shaft for drivers. But I do know that sounds like you need a TIP stiff shaft. The shaft you are using probably has a different kick point then you previous one... For me I previously had the stiffest shaft they anyone made and then try to make it stiffer... But now in my new stuff I try to go with much stiffer tip and doesn't have to be a board therefor now I get the best of both worlds

#32 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

RTL - I have played bad frequently in tournaments. One was that bad that after 3 holes I wanted to walk off course. I found it positive to figure out how to deal with it and what I could do to save face. I think it would make you a stronger player? Often hear comentators stating how good players can have that bad shot, hole, round and almost similtaniously turn it around. Do you get taught how to manage your emotion to get it out of your next shot?

#33 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

How did you get rid of the shanks?

It's a technical thing. Basically the club head is to far on the inside of your hands near impact. Practise low fades

#34 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

RTL,

I hit a fairly decent ball tee to green but my putting is killing my game…no matter what I do I can’t get on top of it. If you ever go through a phase where putts are not dropping, what is the 1 thing you focus on or work on to get your putting mojo back?

Cheers.

Lies, all lies…

First Dual and only Triple WBT Champion…semi-retired

Half of the ’Trentham Dream Team’

L4G.. I am currently going through this right know. Baicalky once you have determined that its not a technical issue. Then all I do is start swapping putters for a round or two, just to give your eyes and hands a different look and feel.. I generally find that your gamer will get scared that he is gonna lose his job and go back to behaving himself!!

#35 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:07 AM

RTL – I have played bad frequently in tournaments. One was that bad that after 3 holes I wanted to walk off course. I found it positive to figure out how to deal with it and what I could do to save face. I think it would make you a stronger player? Often hear comentators stating how good players can have that bad shot, hole, round and almost similtaniously turn it around. Do you get taught how to manage your emotion to get it out of your next shot?

I went through a stage where I would walk off quite a bit but all that did was would do is make me look like a ***** and confirm that I did not have your emotions in check... The only way I learnt is from experience the more you play the more learn on how to deal with yourself... Now days when things go bad I just set little goals for myself to finish that round or that hole or that tournament.. At the end of the day all you can do is control what is in front of you not behind you... Play games with yourself is a great way to take your mind off your score

#36 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

The day I had the really shitee round and wished I could just crawl into my golf bag and hide I thought 'What positives can I get from this?' As I knew I didn't want to walk away. Not my nature to quit, no matter how bad it gets, my game, my result, my improvement. I found looking at the positives worked for me. Simple things first, quality of day, condition of course, happy to be golfing (better than alot of other things I could be doing) I found that changed my temprament from '%&%)% this get me out of here' and then I focused on not wasting my time as I knew I wasn't scoring. Tried certain positions, different shots in (eg low shot incase next round was windy) things like that to take focus off the crap round. I thought that pro's would have some coaching in these areas? How to deal with media, to stop throwing clubs, swearing etc? Or is this something you guys have to take on as personal training?

#37 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

AB im not sure how we really deal with it. I think you are on the right track with what you are doing. Everyone is gonna have bad days it just the way it goes... It's only golf.. If you treat it that way I don't think that it will get out of hand and if you are not practicing five hours a day I don't really think you have the right to be able to throw clubs and get mad and make your playing partners feel uncomfortable as it not your job and your livelihood doesn't depend it. When it comes to a pro level your playing partners want to see this happen as it shows that your fading mentally.. I do have a sports psych so we bounce different ideas off each other

#38 superduperman

superduperman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

RTL, You don't have to answer this one but I was just wondering what the blokes on tour are like in general. I know you aren't a rookie but this is your first year back after a couple on the nationwide. I believe on the guys that play in Aus are pretty friendly. Do many on the PGA Tour try and help you out or hang out during or after an event? Thanks in advance

#39 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

Super.. I would like to say yes but it's very much each to their own out here when it comes to the golf side.. We do have dinner occasionally and just hang out in general. I guess it's a pretty big business and you don't want to give anyone else an advantage over the next guy.. On the otherhand though if you were to ask for their oppinion I'm sure they would be happy to give it but they no one is gonna go out of their way to help that's for sure..

#40 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

Bowdo, would be interested in how you go about getting those extra metres out of a drive when you have the opportunity to smash it.

#41 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hi Bowdo, couple of questions from my wife actually. To your knowledge: any pros play the TW video game? Id' guess you'd all have non-work hobbies. Also has TW's aura faded on tour, especially for the younger guard out there who are making their own waves? Thanks again for taking the time to post on these forums mate.

#42 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24065 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Thanks again for taking the time to post on these forums mate.
yep I'm with max here,

#43 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

On the "rare" occasion when you smash a few beers in, what's the choice? Drove from Miami to Philly before we found Yuengling. Favourite tour stop Have you embraced all the US sports, looks like all the English guys are well into it. Why do so many pros live in Orlando, presume its airport access however its a toilet, IMO Given you are a Newcastle boy presume you will be supporting the Blues against the filth in SOO. That'll do

#44 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

Is that "FILTHY GOOD" Malvern? Go the MAROONS!

#45 SauceBottle23

SauceBottle23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

RTL,

Just a question on driver shafts, I have recently upgraded to a Project X 6.5 shaft in my R9. This is on the x flex scale. I was playing a stiff flex shaft that is a fair bit more softer in flex. I have a driver swing speed of 110mph. I have noticed that I have now lost about 15m differance in carry from around 260m to about 245m and my misses can now be a voilent hook, instead of a block with the old shaft. I guess my question is, should my dispersion be much better with the stiffer shaft? and can you have a shaft that is to stiff? and what are the effects of this?

Sauce,,
I don’t know to much about the profile of the project x shaft for drivers. But I do know that sounds like you need a TIP stiff shaft.
The shaft you are using probably has a different kick point then you previous one…
For me I previously had the stiffest shaft they anyone made and then try to make it stiffer… But now in my new stuff I try to go with much stiffer tip and doesn’t have to be a board therefor now I get the best of both worlds

Thank's for that mate, the tip in the Project X shaft is a stiff tip, the shaft has much lower torque compared to the last one. I was thinking that due shaft being stiffer and as you said the bend point different, that the shaft is making the face snap shut quicker?? What is the advantage of using a stiff/boardy shaft anyway as in your previous shafts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users