#16 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37968 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

Being a left hander, RTL, I first had lessons with a left handed pro when I started golf over 30 years ago. I know right handed pro's can adjust and give lessons to us lefties but I'm thinking that a lefty pro would be able to relate better. Should I look around for a leftie pro for lessons and does the PGA identify them on the web site as lefties/righties???

#17 SJS90

SJS90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

Being a left hander, RTL, I first had lessons with a left handed pro when I started golf over 30 years ago. I know right handed pro’s can adjust and give lessons to us lefties but I’m thinking that a lefty pro would be able to relate better.

Should I look around for a leftie pro for lessons and does the PGA identify them on the web site as lefties/righties???

2011 ISG Eynesbury Day – Handicap 2nd
2010 ISG Emerald Day – Handicap 3rd
2010 ISG Settlers Run Day – Handicap 3rd

http://www.gippswebs.com.au...

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

I'm left handed and see a right handed coach. It's all the same, just in reverse, not that tricky.

#18 SauceBottle23

SauceBottle23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

RTL, Just a question on driver shafts, I have recently upgraded to a Project X 6.5 shaft in my R9. This is on the x flex scale. I was playing a stiff flex shaft that is a fair bit more softer in flex. I have a driver swing speed of 110mph. I have noticed that I have now lost about 15m differance in carry from around 260m to about 245m and my misses can now be a voilent hook, instead of a block with the old shaft. I guess my question is, should my dispersion be much better with the stiffer shaft? and can you have a shaft that is to stiff? and what are the effects of this?

#19 Chook Norris aka L4G

Chook Norris aka L4G

BOKBOKBOKBOGURK!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7006 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:45 AM

RTL, I hit a fairly decent ball tee to green but my putting is killing my game...no matter what I do I can't get on top of it. If you ever go through a phase where putts are not dropping, what is the 1 thing you focus on or work on to get your putting mojo back? Cheers.

#20 wikoli

wikoli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNewcastle and not the UK one !!!

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:45 AM

Wik..no prob. I really don’t think that there is that much difference anymore in the two. I really think you get your feel and spin from the type of shaft you have in the heads. These days there are just so many variations of shaft types that it really come down to..
What is the problem you are having wik??

Thanks for the feedback..................no major problem, just the old tempo thing and trying to swing smooth. Using Miz 63s at present and love them, but timing is key as they are not as forgiving as say cavity casts etc. Good luck in your next event..................cheers.

#21 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

bowdo
i purchased a new driver (R9) 2 rounds ago
and am trying to spend some time in the nets dialing it in,
using the adjustments & launch monitor.
however i feel awkward in the nets,
swinging in that enclosed environment.

so at the moment it is set to neutral and i hit a very nice ball flight
the launch monitor suggests i close the face 1 position and maybe go to reg not stiff shaft (due to highish fade and short distance)
i swing at 95mph. Adilia shaft in stiff flex

i understand how the figures can help as will my coach
so would you place more emphasis on the Launch monitor or my coach’s & mine naked eye seeing the ball flight.
i trust my coach as he has helped me with knowledge and ability.
thanks in advance
Kiwi

Jan 2011 – 14.9
Feb 2011 – 14.3
Mar 2011 – 14.9
Apr 2011 – 14.9

I wouldn't worry about the launch monitor kiwi, especially the ones indoors. Your coach would have a good idea on how the ball is reacting with his naked eye... I have found (just me) that when I'm testing drivers on the range with launch monitors I also tend to go with one that always seems alittle to strong for me ( not enough spin, low launch, struggle to draw it) because when most people hit the first tee in a competion the first thing that happens is swing speed goes up 2-5mph therefor everything will match up

#22 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

Ok, a serious question, since no one wants to diagnose my rash.

Is there any value in a regular golfer, reading instructional books or watching instructional DVDs?

I have read the plane truth for golfers, TGM and watched Mickelson’s short game DVD. All were interesting, but I get the feeling unless you use video of yourself, or a pro diagnoses your issues, they aren’t worth alot. I have lessons once a month or so and so far it has reaped benefits in terms of a huge reduction in HCP; I believe this is mainly due to the lessons…

Do you agree?

Cheers and give it to them at NOLA.

Nike VR tour 9.5deg drvr S flex voodoo
Cobra Baffler TWS 2, 3h Aldila NVS Stiff (or 3w sub)
Titleist AP2 4-pw DG S300
Adams PVD 52*,56*,60*
Odyssey WHXG#9
B330S/Vision X3w

Hmm well ash sorry I couldn't help your rash. But I do think that reading different books is a problem because it's like changing coaches but if you stay with the same books just like the ones you have I can't see a problem. But as for TGM it is very technical and scientifically correct I think but there wouldnt be to many people that could reach all the desired positions. So if you just used the basis of it. ( swing in on plane with a quiet face Head behind the ball, rhythm past the hit ) you wil be on track.. But you will be needing a professional to break it down alittle better for you.. Phils book is great Don't fall into the trap of using the tip in the magazines because it's always just the flavour of the month

#23 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

Is there any value in a regular golfer, reading instructional books or watching instructional DVDs?

I have read the plane truth for golfers, TGM and watched Mickelson’s short game DVD. All were interesting, but I get the feeling unless you use video of yourself, or a pro diagnoses your issues, they aren’t worth alot. I have lessons once a month or so and so far it has reaped benefits in terms of a huge reduction in HCP; I believe this is mainly due to the lessons…

Do you agree?

Adams PVD 52*,56*,60*
Odyssey WHXG#9
B330S/Vision X3w

Hmm well ash sorry I couldn't help your rash. But I do think that reading different books is a problem because it's like changing coaches but if you stay with the same books just like the ones you have I can't see a problem. But as for TGM it is very technical and scientifically correct I think but there wouldnt be to many people that could reach all the desired positions. So if you just used the basis of it. ( swing in on plane with a quiet face Head behind the ball, rhythm past the hit ) you wil be on track.. But you will be needing a professional to break it down alittle better for you.. Phils book is great Don't fall into the trap of using the tip in the magazines because it's always just the flavour of the month

#24 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:19 AM

Do you agree?

Adams PVD 52*,56*,60*
Odyssey WHXG#9
B330S/Vision X3w

#25 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:19 AM

Do you agree?

Adams PVD 52*,56*,60*
Odyssey WHXG#9
B330S/Vision X3w

#26 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

Oops sorry parrot

#27 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39802 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:24 AM

Parrot's knackered now Bowdo.

#28 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

RTL. 2 part question. Do you think of playing as a job or is it still fun? How do you stay motivated when you’re not playing well, not making cuts & money etc?

Danz that's a hard. I still love to go out with the boys and smash it around with a few beers, that's fun, but when it comes to playing bad in tournament golf, its not the best feeling and I wouldn't say it is fun at all and it is no ones fault but your own to why your playing bad..but I do think for that one month a year that your really get rolling it's worth the all the pain

#29 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

Being a left hander, RTL, I first had lessons with a left handed pro when I started golf over 30 years ago. I know right handed pro’s can adjust and give lessons to us lefties but I’m thinking that a lefty pro would be able to relate better.

Should I look around for a leftie pro for lessons and does the PGA identify them on the web site as lefties/righties???

2011 ISG Eynesbury Day – Handicap 2nd
2010 ISG Emerald Day – Handicap 3rd
2010 ISG Settlers Run Day – Handicap 3rd

http://www.gippswebs.com.au...

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Francie,, I couldn't really see how that would matter.. If they are struggling to make adjustments then I would say they are not worth getting lessons from..

#30 A1984

A1984

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

How did you get rid of the shanks?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users