1483 replies to this topic

#1 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:46 PM

After asking a Question of 'Right To Lefter' and discovering he was a touring Pro I felt that myself and others could benefit from his thoughts/advice on things we try as amatuers and hacks to improve our games. So my first question is, When it feels like it's constantly going wrong do you go back to basics or work on the apparent problem? What is the better approach?Thanks and enjoy.

#2 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

It really depends on what you are talking about??? I would need more specifics to answer that one because there could be so many variations.. But if your are talking about working harder and getting worse.. for me I would go back to the drawing board (change coaches, practise routine, amount of beer,) try something to bring the fun and enjoyment back

#3 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

I have been fighting a slice and have had inconsistancy with my irons. I have been told that I'm bending my left arm. In hindsight if I had of checked my basic form first it may have saved months of trying to rectify a minor fault that was actually major. Had I gone back to basic golf 101 my fault may have been cured earlier. Guess if I took a lesson it would have too.

#4 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:13 PM

I have been fighting a slice and have had inconsistancy with my irons. I have been told that I’m bending my left arm. In hindsight if I had of checked my basic form first it may have saved months of trying to rectify a minor fault that was actually major. Had I gone back to basic golf 101 my fault may have been cured earlier. Guess if I took a lesson it would have too.

For me I have 3 main things that I do wrong in my swing. This causes different problems. Therefor I make sure I see my coach in person at least once a month but pretty much every week I send my swing to him.. I would say AB the first thing is go see your local pro or someone that is good in the area... If you are a golf nut and play a fair bit it is worth your while.. But be prepared to put in the work and trust your man

#5 smAsh

smAsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1646 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hi, thanks for taking my call.... What is this rash on my inner thighs? Thanks in advance.

#6 OnaBogeyTrain

OnaBogeyTrain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

Here's one RTL.... When you go to the practice range at (a) a tournament, do you get given YOUR type of ball or some standard ball. and (b) when you practice at home or where ever you practice do you use YOUR type of ball or an array of different ones? Thanks dcee2

#7 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

Here’s one RTL….

When you go to the practice range at (a) a tournament, do you get given YOUR type of ball or some standard ball.
and (b) when you practice at home or where ever you practice do you use YOUR type of ball or an array of different ones?

Thanks

dcee2

A. We are lucky enough to be able to choose whatever ball you want to practise with. They have everyball used on tour ready for you when you hit the range. B. At the tpc I play out of they have all Titleist balls to choose from. So I'm just lucky I use the pro v x.

#8 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

Once you turned Pro and sponsorship came in, I presume, did you change equipment and did it differ from what got you endorsed in the first place?

#9 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

Once you turned Pro and sponsorship came in, I presume, did you change equipment and did it differ from what got you endorsed in the first place?

I never really changed my clubs much even growing up. I would say I have used a total of 5 different sets of clubs since I started to take my golf seriously. I always thought it takes alot of time among alot of different scenarios to get used to clubs.. But I have been using cleveland irons basically my whole career

#10 wikoli

wikoli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationNewcastle and not the UK one !!!

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:03 PM

I never really changed my clubs much even growing up. I would say I have used a total of 5 different sets of clubs since I started to take my golf seriously. I always thought it takes alot of time among alot of different scenarios to get used to clubs.. But I have been using cleveland irons basically my whole career

Thanks RTL for taking the time answer all the questions........ Was keen to hear your opinion on playing forged or cast irons.

#11 OnaBogeyTrain

OnaBogeyTrain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

Thanks RTL.....

#12 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24048 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

bowdo i purchased a new driver (R9) 2 rounds ago and am trying to spend some time in the nets dialing it in, using the adjustments & launch monitor. however i feel awkward in the nets, swinging in that enclosed environment. so at the moment it is set to neutral and i hit a very nice ball flight the launch monitor suggests i close the face 1 position and maybe go to reg not stiff shaft (due to highish fade and short distance) i swing at 95mph. Adilia shaft in stiff flex i understand how the figures can help as will my coach so would you place more emphasis on the Launch monitor or my coach's & mine naked eye seeing the ball flight. i trust my coach as he has helped me with knowledge and ability. thanks in advance Kiwi

#13 Rtl

Rtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:12 PM

Wik..no prob. I really don't think that there is that much difference anymore in the two. I really think you get your feel and spin from the type of shaft you have in the heads. These days there are just so many variations of shaft types that it really come down to.. What is the problem you are having wik??

#14 smAsh

smAsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1646 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

Ok, a serious question, since no one wants to diagnose my rash. Is there any value in a regular golfer, reading instructional books or watching instructional DVDs? I have read the plane truth for golfers, TGM and watched Mickelson's short game DVD. All were interesting, but I get the feeling unless you use video of yourself, or a pro diagnoses your issues, they aren't worth alot. I have lessons once a month or so and so far it has reaped benefits in terms of a huge reduction in HCP; I believe this is mainly due to the lessons... Do you agree? Cheers and give it to them at NOLA.

#15 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

RTL. 2 part question. Do you think of playing as a job or is it still fun? How do you stay motivated when you're not playing well, not making cuts & money etc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users