62 replies to this topic

#1 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

With BannLynch now taken over the Yarra Bend Golf course, a number of changes are starting to take effect. The main ones being the new driving range which displaces what used to be the first hole and having the back nice to become the new front nine, a number of other holes were also changed. I have not played here for a few months so I have not seen the changes in person. Has anyone been there recently? Is it playable/enjoyable? I really enjoyed playing there, but hope the changes havent detracted from the course.

#2 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25183 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

It's odd playing the old back 9 first, it's actually harder in my view. But it's the best 9. The now back 9 is a bit dull. When they get the new 1st hole (old 5th?) in it might be better. But they have lost the great old par 5 and put in a crap short temp green then a 300mtr down hill par 4, really miss the old par 5. I hear tell of a new par 3 over behind the old 1st green? I also heard they were removing the 8th (old 17th) due to a back up there, that's a good hole, but yes people get blocked there. What worries me is it is getting very busy even during the week and they tend to let lots of 2's out, best start at sparrows fart and get around in 3 hrs otherwise it can take quite a while to get around, and forget weekends. They certainly are pumping money into it, be 12 months before done, who knows if it will sort out well.

#3 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2952 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

That little temp par three is a disaster. It would be goof if they had a better green in there but hopefully it doesn't stay around to long. I hope they don't mess with the old 17th, nice little hole.

#4 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

I am not sure that all is well there. It was suggested on the 3AW rumor file this week that creditors are owed plenty at the moment.

#5 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2952 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

Not sure we can trust 3AW.... That said I thought the range would have been busier. There is usually a few people about but nothing like say Albert Park.

#6 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:04 AM

just popped in to have a squiz at the new range. They have what looks like a nice tee block between the putting green and the range for what looks like a great little par 3 that runs across the old Ist fairway. There are two big trees that look like the will cover each side of that green. Should be a great position to gawk at everyone have a crack. Would be good if the range had distance markers- and they have those mats which clubs bounce off. I much prefer the newer type mats which seem to have a bit of give in them. Looking like it is going to be a much better golf facility. Hope they don't jack up the $ too much.

#7 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25183 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:09 AM

The first was to be a par 4 to the old 5th green, dogleg right. Maybe that will be the extra hole? From there to the old 5th, old 2nd, old 3rd then old 6th without the shitty temp par3? Hope they get it right. Was such a inner city gem, be nice if it's still worth playing.

#8 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:34 AM

Not sure we can trust 3AW…. That said I thought the range would have been busier. There is usually a few people about but nothing like say Albert Park.

Stuff on the rumor file is normally right on the money.

#9 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:25 AM

All this sounds rather ominous for Yarra Bend....

#10 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:51 AM

Well, decided to have a look myself and finished the afternoon with the worst score on that course ever! Though, it was mostly due to my (lack of) form today. Agree with the observations made so far. For me, the course is not as good as it used to be. Zig zagging across the course to get to your next tee was a bit tedious and detracted from the game. Anyhow, I am going to give this course a miss for the next 6-12mths until the works are completed.

#11 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2952 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:51 AM

You could always just play the (old) back nine.

#12 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25183 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:09 AM

It is a good 9 holes, would rather play that 2x's than do the other.

#13 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24046 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:28 AM

I am not sure that all is well there.

It was suggested on the 3AW rumor file this week that creditors are owed plenty at the moment.

AM radio surely you jest nobody takes any notice of that, the consortium is financed by appleby & ogilvie plenty of coin dont you worry about that

#14 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:36 AM

I am not sure that all is well there.

It was suggested on the 3AW rumor file this week that creditors are owed plenty at the moment.

It will ALWAYS make money with that location and the amount of rounds played each day. It is just a matter of lifting fees to get ROI. I would think that the upgrade will improve the track. It has always been great to play but needs lots of work on bunkers, greens and some holes completely. Can't wait for it to get up and running. I work right next door. The driving range should be a big bonus as previously had to go to either Sunshine or Riverside(Crap).

#15 ParkRoyal

ParkRoyal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

The par 3's at Yarra Bend are its biggest strength imo (apart from the temp) Very interested to see where they will get the extra room, althought it sounds like they will be re-rooting the 1st maybe. Was the 1st put out of play purely for safety reasons? seems far enough away from the driving range to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users