Photo

The Dan Plan

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#151 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

A bloke called IDAHOAUSSIE onthe wrx site spent a fair bit fair bit of time writing the following explanation on US club golf. Totally different to what we play as club members. Or would class as an acceptable competitive environment. 

"G'day Talart.  Aussie in exile here, as you might tell from the handle.

I'll relay my personal experience, and hope some others might chime in as well.

Over here, I see two different types of things going.  You have the private clubs, of which I have no experience, and you have the examples where the courses are run as completely separate concerns to any golf "clubs".  In fact, in my neck of the woods the "clubs" tend to refer to themselves as "associations".  The courses might be privately owned and operated or they might be owned and operated by city councils or other sorts of local governments, but the idea is the same.  The financial barrier to joining a club is lower, because you're not paying for your annual green fees - that's separate, and typically much higher than would be the equivalent back home.

The Mens' Association to which I belong has tournaments maybe once a month, maybe every other month, depending on the time of year.  It's rare that they will open them up to visitors and almost no mixed fourballs (the women have their own completely separate Association and ne'er the twain shall meet) other than the odd promotion that the course (not the Association) might put on.  I really don't see anything equivalent to Club Pennants over here, other than what various Associations might arrange between themselves and very much as a one-off

Another difference is that membership of a Men's Association will include membership of the state governing body but not the USGA, which operates almost as a completely separate organisation.  There is nothing comparable to the district associations back home (e.g, Brisbane Water GA, Newcastle GA etc.) to which clubs belong and which run and co-ordinate regular inter-club events such as the Pennants.  Handicaps are administered at the state level, although they will be recognised interstate - if you move to a new state, however, your handicap doesn't move with you (from what my neighbour told me), so you in effect have to start over.  The State body will run a number of tournaments throughout the year as well, more than I ever remember seeing the NSWGA run in the day.

Handicaps are administered differently over here as well.  Back home it's only club comp rounds that count, but because there's so many of them (and I seem to remember the club where I had membership and played infrequently had Tuesday and Thursday stablefords, the Friday morning chook run as well as the Saturday mixed/ members four balls and the Sunday individuals) that's not a major problem - over here, pretty much every round you play can count towards your handicap because there are so few club comps.  Every course will have a GHIN terminal where you can punch on your score for the day while you're unwinding, or you can do it on the Internet (web site or phone app) when you get home.

Another difference is at the junior level.  Over here, you will see inter-school matches on a weekly basis once you get to high school (think year 9 or 10 and above) which is basically the same as junior pennants.  You will also have zonal, state and regional tournaments for the better kids.  Associations themselves tend not to cater for the juniors, although some courses might run something (but typically not competitive) for them, as the schools seem to have that piece of the market to themselves.

As I say, that's my experience, others might chime in and offer something different."

• CaNadiAn MiCk and TheTrueReview like this
Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#152 xmaggiex

xmaggiex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

"Handicaps are administered differently over here as well.  Back home it's only club comp rounds that count, but because there's so many of them (and I seem to remember the club where I had membership and played infrequently had Tuesday and Thursday stablefords, the Friday morning chook run as well as the Saturday mixed/ members four balls and the Sunday individuals) that's not a major problem - over here, pretty much every round you play can count towards your handicap because there are so few club comps.  Every course will have a GHIN terminal where you can punch on your score for the day while you're unwinding, or you can do it on the Internet (web site or phone app) when you get home."

Exactly, but my experience at a club level ($250k+to join and $20k+ annual subs) have summer comps and social rounds count off any tees. My friend and member would give us and himelf anything up to 10' putts if it meant he got stableford score. I hit off the reds and he bought me back to whites and then blues with him. Hishcap was 16 but wkuld have been much higher here!
  • Talart likes this

#153 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

Description from the Dan Plan "Dan (The Dan Plan) is on a coming episode of Insight On SBS ONE Tuesdays 8:30pm Repeated Wednesday 1:00pm SBS ONE
The Dan Plan. Is a project in transformation. An experiment in potential and possibilities. Through 10,000 hours of “deliberate practice,” Dan, who currently has minimal golf experience, plans on becoming a professional golfer. But the plan isn’t really about golf: through this process, Dan hopes to prove to himself and others that it’s never too late to start a new pursuit in life." 

Dan has a 3 handicap after 4900 hours. This has bemused me. It was his lack of competition play that was the sticking point. Now having the differences explained between US and Oz club golfing I have a better understanding of why Dan plays so little competition golf and why he has to enter tournaments to get "game experience".  In his latest blog post on his Oz trip Dan has said he was as unaware of how our golf handicapping and club play operates. Aboutthe only thing that is standard internationally in golf is The R and A Rules.

I still remain a fan enjoying his experience and approach. Near the half way mark and obviously a decent ball striking ability has been developed. With another 5000 hours to go it will be interesting to see how Dan approaches the 'competition' experience that is vital to being a professional playing for pay.  

#154 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

Sounds like he's having fun.

http://thedanplan.co...ressions-in-oz/

And a video.

Edited by Danz, 15 July 2014 - 09:37 PM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Jolls like this

#155 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16049 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

He is up on GC this week may cat h up with him for some interviews etc.

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#156 BarnEsy05

BarnEsy05

Holing It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32355 posts
  • LocationChopperville

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

He is up on GC this week may cat h up with him for some interviews etc.

Noooooooo...Cats are Farked

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Francie like this

A

DON'T LET THE BLACK DOG WIN...

HELP IS OUT THERE

6 Time ISG NSW WBT Winner

2013 ISG NSW WBT COC Runner Up

2015 ISG NSW WBT COC

2nd ISG NSW Life Member Inductee...Got Had a Jacket to Prove It

2012 ISG National Championships...Inaugural Supreme Putting Champion

2013 ISG National Championships...3rd Place 2nd Round - Moonah Links

2013 ISG National Championships...13th place...now that's desperately unlucky

2014 ISG National Championships...13th place...no other golfer could be that desperately unlucky 2 years in a row!

2015 ISG National Championships...21st place...that's farked

2016 ISG National Championships...waaaaay down the list.

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Yarra Yarra Satellite Game 

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Huntingdale Satellite Game

2016 ISG National Championships...Captain of winning NSW Team, SOO

2017 ISG National Championships...12th place...heading in the right direction

2017 ISG National Championships...Winner The Lakes Satellite Game 43pts

2018 ISG National Championships...Best left unspoken.

2013 Brass Yacht Winner (Inaugural)

2014 Brass Yacht Winner

2015 Brass Yacht Runner-up

2016 Brass Yacht Winner

2017 Brass Yacht Winner

2018 Brass Yacht Winner

HOLE IN ONE

2017 ISG NATIONALS ROUND 2 RIVERSIDE OAKS 17TH HOLE BUNGOOL COURSE FIRST SHOT OF THE DAY (SHOTGUN START)

Life Motto: "If it's free, it's for me!"

Team Live4BarnEsy...forever undefeated angel-2-smiley-emoticon.gif

Desperately Unlucky ©

#157 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3943 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

Looks like Dan is enjoying the experience of being out of his home ground golfing routine. Soaking up the Australian golf environment is a good thing. Comparing it to his usual golfing can only supply more depth to his playing knowledge. 

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#158 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Noooooooo...Cats are Farked

Ginger cougar on the loose!

• BarnEsy05 and CaNadiAn MiCk like this

#159 Weekend_Hacker

Weekend_Hacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

"Handicaps are administered differently over here as well.  Back home it's only club comp rounds that count, but because there's so many of them (and I seem to remember the club where I had membership and played infrequently had Tuesday and Thursday stablefords, the Friday morning chook run as well as the Saturday mixed/ members four balls and the Sunday individuals) that's not a major problem - over here, pretty much every round you play can count towards your handicap because there are so few club comps.  Every course will have a GHIN terminal where you can punch on your score for the day while you're unwinding, or you can do it on the Internet (web site or phone app) when you get home."
Exactly, but my experience at a club level ($250k+to join and $20k+ annual subs) have summer comps and social rounds count off any tees. My friend and member would give us and himelf anything up to 10' putts if it meant he got stableford score. I hit off the reds and he bought me back to whites and then blues with him. Hishcap was 16 but wkuld have been much higher here!

You pay $250000 to join a golf club? Did I read that right? What course is it?

#160 Iggy_Type_R

Iggy_Type_R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

When I was in the US I played at a club that has higher joining fee and it barely makes it into Top 100 in US rankings. 

You pay $250000 to join a golf club? Did I read that right? What course is it?

#161 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

How in the hell do you pay that?? Seriously? Do you have too put up your house as collateral or something?

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#162 Iggy_Type_R

Iggy_Type_R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

Let me clarify... I was a guest of a member ... who gave me the breakdown of joining costs! :)

Thing is with a population of 300 million people... there are a lot more people (number wise) who are in a very high income bracket and for them that's loose change. Just like there are 100 owners of $700k 458 Ferraris here in Australia there are several thousand owners in USA. 

How in the hell do you pay that?? Seriously? Do you have too put up your house as collateral or something?

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#163 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Agreed and yes the population density in the different tiers of income in comparison to each other is ten fold for example 

BUT

250k for a golf joining fee is just over the top IMO, and if it is the norm for 30% - 50% of clubs over there they wonder why it is declining in participation... 

But another discussion for another thread for another time!!! Sorry guys!

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#164 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42857 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Where did the 30-50% come from?

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#165 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hmm thought I deleted that part because i didn't have facts to back it up as I wrote it then got distracted by work.

Apologies it was a guess and was supposed to be removed!

WITB:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users