• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

50 bucks Pendle on weekends

45 midweek

taken from there website

WINNER of ISG Invitational Golf Classic Settlers Run 28/11/2010

you are a genius oz....... checking websites for info is so 2002. I find it much easier to get on a forum and ask people like you to check the website for me :) Next you will be ringing the club on a landline0 or string and can:)

#48 FrontBunker

FrontBunker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:53 PM

I have played WV a few times now, all in the last few months. First time was after a week of pretty solid rain. Sure it was wet, but I’m guessing every course in Melbourne was pretty soggy. Some bunkers were full of water which was annoying but no big deal and understandable considering the volume of rain we’d had. All the fairways were basically dry, save for a few puddles here and there. The only other observation was that the water hazards had swollen pretty considerably so they caught a few balls that they might not otherwise have caught. But, that said, the water had clearly drained off the fairways pretty well and drained to the areas its meant to so who can complain about that, really? So whilst I’ve only played it once after rain, it was a lot of rain. Not sure how it goes after two weeks or so of persistent rain. The other times I’ve played it, it has been dry and been beautiful. And for some reason basically deserted. I played about 3 Saturday’s ago, teeing off around 11am and we hardly saw another group pretty much all day. Sunny day and no one around. It was great. It’s a cracking course. I’m a mid 90’s scorer on average and feel like I can better my average when playing on WV… But I haven’t. Its wide fairways and big greens encourage more daring shots. It bluffs you into a false sense of security. Whilst the course looks easy on the surface its got lots of gremlins to bring you down to earth. I always come unstuck at WV when I blaze away, thinking that the wide fairways will allow me some latitude if I miss hit it. That’s when the bunkers and lakes that seem oddly placed come into play. On more than one occasion I’ve stood on the tee looking at the hole and thought “why is that bunker there. Seems a bit out of play.” Then I hit an overly ambitious drive and I’m in the bunker that I thought was purely for aesthetic purposes. With all that said though, it does reward good shots and actually gives you a chance when you hit average shots. One of the blokes in our group shoots around 120ish but loves WV because he finds enough fairways to keep him interested. He’s not forever hitting his second shot out of the garbage. He played at Growling Frog and hated it because the moment his ball deviated off track a little it was lost in the knee deep rough, never to be seen again. That’s not fun for social players. Its nice to hit a so-so drive and have it resting on a fairway or low cut rough with a big green in site. I can’t believe people are bagging the course out saying its easy and the layout isn’t challenging enough or the bunkers serve no purpose if they’re out of play Etc etc etc. I reckon people dislike it because on the surface it looks easy but I’d say most people have had their pants pulled down by the course. Surely if it were easy the course record would be better than 67…

#49 Scratch64

Scratch64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

Going to be playing WV for the first time tomorrow been looking forward to this for awhile now. I hope that the rain we've had in the last couple of days has not affected the course to much.

#50 Scratch64

Scratch64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

Played WV today the course was interesting enough when compared to my regular tracks but having said that I was perhaps expecting a little more for my $50 bucks (Aesthetically speaking I found some of the fairways were like playing off a bare lie the grass seemed to be cut way to low, just my opinion). One thing that did surprise me was the lack of other people on the course given it was a Saturday with no threat of rain etc guess maybe $50 is just a little to steep for some. Overall I did enjoy my round managed to shoot to within my handicap so no complaints there, I will definitely play the course again come spring time.

#51 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

I actually love playing WV, it as PP suggests gives you a sense that you can play well there, and then you find out that bad shots will still cost you. The greens are first rate. They are firm, quick and true, just as The Dunes and Eynesbury are...well maybe not as quick as The Dunes. During a very wet winter last year it took a beating, and got some bad press on this site. But it is 10 minutes from me and I have never encountered any problems with its condition. The reason it is quiet I expect is the other public courses in the area, Ringwood, Morack & Dorset are all around $25 for 18. Is it value for money? Yes,if you compare it to Championship Style Public courses, such as the Frog, or Eyensbury. I also enjoy the quiet, easy pace, and the joy of not having to worry about slow.

#52 mma001

mma001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

If you have never played it I would recommend it, but go there in summer. That way you will see the course at its best. Over winter it is terrible at best, drainage was a disgrace and looking down the fairway of the tee box the fairways just looked like mud. I was better of playing out of the rough hoping for a good lie then hitting the fairway. If its dry, play it. I'll be back, but only over summer.

#53 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

So pp makes some good points, for hackers they can feel like they have played a championship course without actually playing one. The problem is this website is full of people who take the game seriously therefore they want to play course which are not setup in this way. Moonah legends is setup to be gentle on a golfers ego and its way better than waterford. Also pp you will habe a hard time convincing people on to rate it more fun than the peninsula courses which are far seperior (I do anyway which is no secret) I never thought about Waterford as being easy I did break 80 there but at other times I've been punished u can't take it on and succeed unless u hit precision shots. The punishment is water and we all no the penalties. I have never had a problem it's condition(I don't play swamps in winter) but I think it's fantastic to have a course of it's quality open to the public and in it's location. And I think your right an easier design is suited to it's location.

#54 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

There is a stack of bunkers and all in play the majority of holes. There is plenty of water too some of it well hidden to catch out decent shots.

Enjoyed it last week but the OP is overloading the positives a touch. The first hole is just boring and the awful housing very sad on a good layout.

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

You miss the obvious point of teh first hole and why it is so brilliant

The aim of this hole is not to deceive or trick or entice…it is to ensure that public players can get away on time and consistently

The 1st at WV acheives this well. Short par 4, dead straight and only 1 bunker at the green

The little boy who never grew up

Aarrrhhhh I'm pretty sure the second hole is a par 3!!!!! GreAt design off to a flying start then hit the brakes.

#55 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:32 PM

I ventured to the WV yesterday to test my improvement in my game, as I have recently began to play golf, not hackygolf. I found the course in very good condition, depsite the greens still recovering from the recent annual core n sand. The greens played well all day, even sunk a few putts. The wind did blow mighty strong N/W in the afternoon, and I found shots out in the open, and into the wind incredibly difficult to judge. As the round went on, I managed to adjust to the conditions, and again found this place a joy to play. The highlight came on the final hole Par 4 (no.1 ranked), hitting a 5 wood off the tee into play just off the fairway, laying up a 7i, and then pitching on to within 10 ft. The putt lipped out, but hey it happens. WV offers all golfers a challenge, and as this course matures, for me ranks with The Dunes, 13th beach as a great Par 72 course. Its not as difficult as some, but it is the goods.

#56 _anon_

_anon_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3251 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

Bumping this up, now selected for ISG OOM 2012 #1. For discussion; Remodelling Par 5 4th hole into two holes 4th + 5th; a terrible change. It was much better played as a par 5. The size of the 5th green for the 120m pitch approach (previously designed to accept long iron/wood approaches from social hacks as the 4th green) is comical. Additionally, the new 4th green site is “pokey” and the 4th fairway as a driving challenge for a short par 4 feels as wide and uninteresting as a football field. Does anyone know why it was changed, and what hole was excluded from the layout when the change was made?

#57 Peter_Pan

Peter_Pan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

Changes made due to 2nd shots going over the fence into houses on the old par 4 It still works ok

#58 _anon_

_anon_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3251 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

Changes made due to 2nd shots going over the fence into houses on the old par 4

It still works ok

The little boy who never grew up

Hiya dennis, how you going sweetcheeks? It was originally a par 5, not a par 4 knackers, and you're wrong, it's a rubbish hole(s) now.

#59 _anon_

_anon_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3251 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

Hey, here's an idea, if you love it so much, why not come and play with us on 19 Feb 2012? Would lurve to have you along!

#60 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20030 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

On an otherwise very good course, I'd have to agree re: the now, "not so new" 4th green. As well as being thin, it is pretty diabolical with a bunker tucked in front which curls around to the left, so running one on is not a realistic option .......... and the green itself slopes from the front up to the middle of the green, and then from the middle on back .... it slopes away from you, so getting anything to stop on it when the course is dry ........ can be very diffcult. That 4th green is now a bastard of a compromise ... whereas the 5th green (the short converted par 3) ... is now just way too big for the actual hole it sits on. They've basically made a mess of both holes ... It would have been much better if they could have somehow swapped the two existing greens over, eg the much smaller green for the short par 3, and the bigger green for the par 4. Aside from that .......a great course to test your game on, .......... during the drier months of the year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users