129 replies to this topic

#31 Bucks

Bucks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:10 AM

waterford has members. $200 p.a we run a comp every sat morning. you still pay green fees when you play comp, but its great for those that cant make it every sat, like me. the $200 covers your golflink handicap ect.

#32 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25454 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:11 AM

There is a club there, Pea. But they don't own the course.

#33 happytoshoot90

happytoshoot90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:36 AM

great course WV, and yes it ****'s all over Kingston links. agree with what PP is trying to stay, except I disagree that the bunkers and water hazards are not in play, they definetly are, especially alot of the fairway bunkers. Then you have the rocks cutting across the 15th fairway which is a driveable par 4, but come up short and the rocks are OB. Plenty on offer to make you think, it ain't all asthetics. In winter it was horrible, one fairway even swallowed a ball of mine, never to be seen again, only time in my life thats happened. it's a great course which is fun, and yes not too long. Just avoid in a wet winter but for those who havent played, get out there the place is a winner.

#34 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20073 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Having played WV countless times, and love it, in a wet winter it is sadly ......... one of the courses to give a wide berth to. It seems that KL goes under the waves first, and then WV a week or two later. Despite knowing the history of the local terrain, (built on the dandenong creek floodplain) the designers were unable to make the course completely weather proof, as this would have meant endless more amounts of mounding, landscaping and drainage(which does not come cheap). Having said that though, it always seems to bounce right back after winter, a testament to the hardworking groundstaff at the course, and the drainage which can cope with a lot of water, but not your "Noah" type weather conditions. I played it on Monday and once again it was in perfect nick.

#35 Bucks

Bucks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

agree, course is in great nic having played comp there last Sat.

#36 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20073 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

My only complaint about WV is just the amount of sand in the bunkers ........... sometimes I feel like taking a bucket and spade in there ............. as there is so much of the stuff compared to other courses. And having just come back from playing up on the Murray over the xmas period .......... the difference in sand depth and density really took some getting used to.

#37 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

There is a stack of bunkers and all in play the majority of holes. There is plenty of water too some of it well hidden to catch out decent shots. Enjoyed it last week but the OP is overloading the positives a touch. The first hole is just boring and the awful housing very sad on a good layout.

#38 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4356 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

waterford has members. $200 p.a
we run a comp every sat morning.
you still pay green fees when you play comp, but its great for those that cant make it every sat, like me.
the $200 covers your golflink handicap ect.

‘Most people hate the taste of beer to begin with. It is however a prejudice that many have been able to overcome.’
Winston Churchill

yeah I was aware of that...at $50/week GF + 200 thats the = of $2700 subs, Beacy hills is half that...although WV is good I'd argue it's not twice as good

#39 Peter_Pan

Peter_Pan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

There is a stack of bunkers and all in play the majority of holes. There is plenty of water too some of it well hidden to catch out decent shots.

Enjoyed it last week but the OP is overloading the positives a touch. The first hole is just boring and the awful housing very sad on a good layout.

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

You miss the obvious point of teh first hole and why it is so brilliant The aim of this hole is not to deceive or trick or entice...it is to ensure that public players can get away on time and consistently The 1st at WV acheives this well. Short par 4, dead straight and only 1 bunker at the green

#40 mma001

mma001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

have to agree its a good track but never play it in winter.

#41 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

There is a stack of bunkers and all in play the majority of holes. There is plenty of water too some of it well hidden to catch out decent shots.

Enjoyed it last week but the OP is overloading the positives a touch. The first hole is just boring and the awful housing very sad on a good layout.

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

You miss the obvious point of teh first hole and why it is so brilliant

The aim of this hole is not to deceive or trick or entice…it is to ensure that public players can get away on time and consistently

The 1st at WV acheives this well. Short par 4, dead straight and only 1 bunker at the green

The little boy who never grew up

Again i think you are playing with/strecthing the truth. I would hardly call the 1st "brilliant". It is OB all down the left and fairway bunkers down the right. Both were issues when we played. Yarra Bend has a better 1st in that regard (or used to, havent seen it since the changes).

#42 ParkRoyal

ParkRoyal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:45 AM

Played it on Saturday, was nice enough. I think the water comes into play to much for the type of course it is. Bunkering is a little over done and unnecessary in places. I reckon the 18th is a terrible hole, seems to be trying way to much to be a finishing hole on the PGA tour.

#43 Bucks

Bucks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

18th is the number one rated hole on the course. Many a comp has been won and lost on this hole. you need to decide whether to lay up or take on the water for the reward. Water....well it is called waterford valley..what did you expect. perhaps you thought the bunkering was overdone as they didnt come into play for you, but it will depend on which tee box you are hitting off from.

#44 ParkRoyal

ParkRoyal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

Understand that its the rated the hardest, and probably rightly so. Just thought it was a tad over the top. Some of the bunker placements are good, but I felt on some holes it dictated and punished unnecessarily. I think the one thing they could do is remove some of the sand, allow the balls that do run into bunkers to get to the bottom, don't double penalise by having to out of the sides of bunkers. Saying all this, I did still enjoy the course and may well play it again and it certainly serves well as a metro public track.

#45 Pendle

Pendle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:56 AM

How much are the green fees at WV. I looked but couldn't find an ISG discount coupon. Is it really busy this time of year (midweek?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users