129 replies to this topic

#16 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

If you rarely hit bunkers, you can’t hone your bunker skills.
There's a thing called a driving range. Most of them have them.

#17 Peter_Pan

Peter_Pan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

It is in a flood plain so probably more likely to be worse than a sandbelt course

How was Beaconhills or anything north like the Frog?

i played them both and should have brought my flippers

The little boy who never grew up

Well the developers obviously misfired on their ‘UTOPIA’ if you can’t play it when it rains. I doubt most would find utopia in a floodplain.

So the repeat customers will only be coming back in fine weather. Brilliant business plan.

I think the "wetness" factor in normal conditions has been overplayed by some in this thread It is no wetter than any other clay based course in winter

#18 mrplou

mrplou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

A toy course. In good nick but not much else going for it.

#19 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25191 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

There’s a thing called a driving range. Most of them have them.

But just practising in a bunker does not prove how well one can do it in the heat of battle. Yes, of course it's some help, but not as good as the real thing.

#20 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

My favourite golf courses are the ones I haven't yet played, especially the ones that the golfmags miss. The excitement of discovering a new course that no one you know has played and finding it's different mysteries on each hole is awesome. I played one course and hit a bueatiful shot dead straight down the middle of the fairway about 100m out only to find on closer inspection that there was a fairway watertrap.(about 2metres by 6metres) right where my ball landed. I wasn't pissed I was surprised as I had never encounted it before. That's my ultimate favourite thing. The joy of the unknown challenge.I took a mate to the same course and he was tickled pink at his drive too until he saw it. Next time you drive somewhere and see a sign saying 'golf course' try it. There are many hidden gems out there.

#21 Peter_Pan

Peter_Pan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

My favourite golf courses are the ones I haven’t yet played, especially the ones that the golfmags miss. The excitement of discovering a new course that no one you know has played and finding it’s different mysteries on each hole is awesome. I played one course and hit a bueatiful shot dead straight down the middle of the fairway about 100m out only to find on closer inspection that there was a fairway watertrap.(about 2metres by 6metres) right where my ball landed. I wasn’t pissed I was surprised as I had never encounted it before. That’s my ultimate favourite thing. The joy of the unknown challenge.I took a mate to the same course and he was tickled pink at his drive too until he saw it. Next time you drive somewhere and see a sign saying ‘golf course’ try it. There are many hidden gems out there.

’Golf and sex are about the only things you can have fun doing without being any good at.’ Jimmy Demaret

gotta hate Kingston Links

#22 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

I'll let you know when I try it. The course I played was Ayr in Queensland. A little known womens PGA player came from there. Karrie Webb. I understand how she got good. Challenging little course in the middle of a small country town. Probably doesn't even get a mention in most golf mags. It uses what it has well.

#23 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25191 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

PP you're just in this forum for a **** stir. Saying WV is the bee's knees and KL is crap is complete nonsense. Both courses are similar with just a few subtle differences. I'd rate them both as "nice", with nothing particularly startling about either one.

#24 Peter_Pan

Peter_Pan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:48 AM

They are nothing alike WV is built to keep the ball in play and give the average Joe a sense that he can score on the course KL is trying to be a links course in a floodplain under powerlines about 50km from the coast.

#25 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

There’s a thing called a driving range. Most of them have them.

But just practising in a bunker does not prove how well one can do it in the heat of battle. Yes, of course it’s some help, but not as good as the real thing.

We we're talking about beginners not having the ability to get out of a bunker. Not trying to make them into masters.

#26 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25191 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:08 AM

We we’re talking about beginners not having the ability to get out of a bunker. Not trying to make them into masters.

Are we? You said,
Bunker play is not that hard once you understand what to do.

Since when does a beginner understand what to do? I thought there was a reference to social golfers, not necessarily beginners.

#27 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:04 AM

Since when does a beginner understand what to do?
When they bloody well put in the time to practice and learn how to do it.

#28 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25191 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:17 AM

Then they're no longer a beginner.

#29 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

beginner....social... whatever. Lets call'em hackers.

#30 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4352 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

It is in a flood plain so probably more likely to be worse than a sandbelt course

How was Beaconhills or anything north like the Frog?

i played them both and should have brought my flippers

The little boy who never grew up

couple of holes were ordinary during the depth of winter otherwise we coped ok...I agree on summary of waterford valley, only a shame it aint a membership course, id be one of the first to sign seeing it is so close to home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users