42 replies to this topic

#1 midirons

midirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:38 AM

Recently pick up Golf Australia January 2011 magazine which has their version of Australia's Top 100 Public Access Golf Courses... Did notice a large amount of "new entry" courses making their list this year. Having not played every course on that list, here is my Top 10 Public Access Australian Golf Course that I have played so far on in order... What is your Top 10 played golf courses in order ??? 1. The Dunes 2. Joondalup 3. Brookwater 4. Moonah Legends 5. The Vintage 6. Portsea 7. The Vines 8. St Michaels 9. Port Fairy 10. Kooindah Waters.

#2 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3628 posts
  • Location10m past Natnkyls

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:49 AM

Hi midirons, not sure what other courses you have played mate but am absolutely stoked to see Port Fairy get a mention. I played it in September and loved it. It's a gem. Anyone in the Melbourne area, it is well worth the trip. Also, The Vines on your list, I assume is the one in Swan Valley? I'd probably have the recently renamed "The Vines" in Adelaide in my top ten, just to cause a bit of confusion. I don't want to select an order but the others, rated on a pure challenge to me basis are Pacific Harbour, Brookwater, Gailes, Oxley, Karana Downs, The Glades, The Colonial and Pelican Waters. Heavily weighted to SE Qld as that's where I live, however I have played some wonderful private courses interstate which aren't part of the OP. Good thread mate.

#3 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11908 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

Hyatt Regency Coolum Brookwater. Pelican waters Paradise Palms Pacific Harbour. Royal Pines Northlakes The Willows. Which is my home course & on that top 100 list. Woohoo. Windaroo. Beerwah. Still a lot of courses I have not played. Would love to give Port Fairy a go.

#4 midirons

midirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:19 AM

Hello Placegetter, Port Fairy is a fantastic course. I really enjoyed it. You are correct, I am talking about The Vines in Swan Valley, WA. I do not know The Vines in SA, but I will have a look, as I will be making a trip there next year. The fact that you have rated courses on "challenge" rather than just looks, instantly tells me you are no mug... Would like to play Pacific Harbour and Pelican Waters in the near future. They are both on my hit list... I have played The Glades twice, but it just did not do enough for me to make my top 10...Top 20, yes. I have played The Colonial, it was ok, but was not a fan. Gailes, Oxley and Karana Downs are courses I have never heard of. Sounds like there may be a hidden gem somewhere in there in SEQ. Another course in QLD I rate is Robina Woods. If I was going back to the Gold Coast soon, I would play it again for sure. Cheers, Mate.

#5 midirons

midirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

Hello Pom, Sorry mate, The Hyatt Regency Coolum can't qualify because it has restricted access. Currently, the only way you can play this course is to be a member, guest of a member or be staying at the resort. Pelican Waters, Paradise Palms, Royal Pines and Northlakes are on my radar. The Willows, Woohoo, Windaroo and Beerwah again, are courses I have not heard of. Did read the small passage on The Willows in the magazine... Sounds like this course is on the up. Cheers.

#6 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11908 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:19 AM

Hello Pom,

Sorry mate, The Hyatt Regency Coolum can’t qualify because it has restricted access.
Currently, the only way you can play this course is to be a member, guest of a member or be staying at the resort.
Pelican Waters, Paradise Palms, Royal Pines and Northlakes are on my radar.
The Willows, Woohoo, Windaroo and Beerwah again, are courses I have not heard of.
Did read the small passage on The Willows in the magazine… Sounds like this course is on the up.

Cheers.

Incorrect . I played it 11 months ago. Access is restricted to certain days but you can play it.WooHoo was not a course but a celebration of the Willows making the top 100 Make sure you play Paradise in the winter months. Gets a bit damp up there at this time of year.

#7 midirons

midirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:58 AM

Thanks Pom.

#8 Shreksm

Shreksm

NooB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2239 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:03 AM

My top 10 of the ones that I have played on the list: 1 BARNBOUGLE DUNES 2 COOLUM 3 HERITAGE - ST JOHNS 4 PORTSEA 5 BONVILLE 6 PORT FAIRY 7 MOONAH LINKS - OPEN 8 MOONAH LINKS - LEGENDS 9 ST ANDREWS BEACH 10 HORSHAM WOOHOO is on my list to play in 2011 :)

#9 Shreksm

Shreksm

NooB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2239 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

Sorry Midirons, couldn't help myself - Merry Christmas!

#10 midirons

midirons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

Hello Shreksm, I thought it was strange when I could not google the course...hahaha. I see you have put the open course at moonah above the legends? Fantastic list yet again, good to see Portsea rate high, what a cracker. Cheers.

#11 Shreksm

Shreksm

NooB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2239 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

I like your sense of humour Midirons! Personally I like both of them, but for me the Open Course is tougher and I like the challenge. Having said that, I think the Legends is a fun layout. Both are always presented immaculately. Portsea is an awesome track, I will never walk it again though - I forgot how hilly it was! Have a great day.

#12 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37966 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

I like your sense of humour Midirons! Personally I like both of them, but for me the Open Course is tougher and I like the challenge. Having said that, I think the Legends is a fun layout. Both are always presented immaculately. Portsea is an awesome track, I will never walk it again though – I forgot how hilly it was! Have a great day.

’The only way of finding out a man’s character is to play golf with him.’

I laughed at that too. Come on Shrek, Portsea walk wasn't that bad. Are you going to walk Eynesbury in February??

#13 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3695 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:57 AM

why not add the green fees next to each course, would be interested to see that. You can play Albany, one of the best links courses in Oz for $27.50.....bargain!!

#14 Shreksm

Shreksm

NooB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2239 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:54 AM

I like your sense of humour Midirons! Personally I like both of them, but for me the Open Course is tougher and I like the challenge. Having said that, I think the Legends is a fun layout. Both are always presented immaculately. Portsea is an awesome track, I will never walk it again though – I forgot how hilly it was! Have a great day.

’The only way of finding out a man’s character is to play golf with him.’

I laughed at that too.

Come on Shrek, Portsea walk wasn’t that bad. Are you going to walk Eynesbury in February??

2009 ISG Castlemaine Day – Handicap winner
2010 ISG Emerald Day – Handicap 3rd
2010 ISG Settlers Run Day – Handicap 3rd

http://www.gippswebs.com.au...

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

For me it was Francie! Especially finishing on the 2nd and the walk back. Eynesbury? Is is flat? Is it 20 metres from green to tee? If yes to the above then I might give the smoothy a run, if not, I guess it will be a cart and a few beers.

#15 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37966 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:31 AM

It's quite some distance between greens to tees. Last time I played,( VPGC), carts were part of the deal. I haven't walked it myself yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users