#17 HitNhope

HitNhope

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14865 posts
  • LocationHere but not There

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:12 AM

Heard something interesting about Solar power the other day, comes second hand, so I can't confirm the veracity of same, maybe if we have any firies on ISG they can confirm or advise a factual negating post. Firies will not enter a house that is on fire (especially in the roof cavity) where solar is in use as they cannot turn off the power source. Apparently this was also the case in the recent Qld floods whereby the house was live due to the power source being continual and unable to be disconnected. As I said, have not tried to confirm the above, just something that was mentioned to me when my next door neighbour went solar.

#18 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24065 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Heard something interesting about Solar power the other day, comes second hand, so I can’t confirm the veracity of same, maybe if we have any firies on ISG they can confirm or advise a factual negating post.

Firies will not enter a house that is on fire (especially in the roof cavity) where solar is in use as they cannot turn off the power source. Apparently this was also the case in the recent Qld floods whereby the house was live due to the power source being continual and unable to be disconnected.

As I said, have not tried to confirm the above, just something that was mentioned to me when my next door neighbour went solar.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish…..

One time winner (so far) of the treasured WBT.

dave, have heard the same, i will ask AB he is in that line of work Kiwi

#19 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:47 AM

That is a very interesting theory as well. Might get in touch with my smokey mate and see what she says...

#20 BeTheBall

BeTheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

We have two sets of isolation switches on our connection. One in the power box, like a circuit breaker, and another set at the inverter. I can only assume this isolates the solar from the house, but would be keen to hear otherwise if it's the case.
  • Turfers Paradise likes this

#21 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

I'm considering solar, so I'm resurrecting this thread.

Firstly, house fires and protection of firies.   There is an isolation switch at the panels (Aust requirement), but these have been found to cause some fires and Aust is the only country which requires these.  I can't imagine a firey getting up on the roof to turn off the isolation switch while the house is burning down.- useless and pointless.  They all have an isolation switch at the inverter but that would still leave the wiring from the panels live until the panels melt.

After discounts, you're probably paying over 20c per kWhr for electricity consumed, except for off-peak hot water.  The return-to-the-grid rate is a whisker over 6c per kWhr.  So, while some return might be good, don't count on making any sort of a profit.

The rating for the system is the average during the year for good sunlight.  Allowing for latitude, this gets converted to 'effective hours' per day.  For Melbourne, that is 3.6 Hrs.  So if you put in a 3KW system, you'll generate 10.8 kWhrs.  If there's no-one home during the day, you'll use a little of that on refrigeration but the bulk goes to the grid @ 6c.  In the evening, you'll draw it back @ 20c.  If you're home during the day, you can run appliances such as washing machines, driers, aircon, etc. at sunny times and use little electricity from the grid.  One consultant tried to tell me I could save half my electricity usage that way, but I'm somewhat sceptical of that.

The payback time, based on their guesstimates of my daytime usage , is around 5 years.  But that could change considerably with rising electricity costs which have been increasing at over 10%pa.

Rapid advances are being made in battery technology which, in some years to come, could make it viable to power one's house from a huge UPS.  But at present, batteries are too expensive.  Hybrid inverters, to which batteries can be connected at a later date are available, but they're expensive and unproven.  In any case, they may not meet the requirements that new battery technology might require for charging.  Just compare the different requirements for charging lead acid, gel and lithium batteries.  Count on needing a new inverter for batteries.

At this stage, all I've done is a little research and got some quotes.

Now, all you experts can tell me all the other stuff I need to know.  About solar electricity.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#22 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20104 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

OB ..... one thing the authorities are "considering" is changing to something of a time based rate for solar fed back into the grid.

As most users peak usage occurs once they get home in the evening "they" are considering changing the rates for solar fed back into the system during the off peak times ........... eg when the solar energy is actually being produced, because the authorities don't need as much for the grid during the day, so they will want to pay you even less for it then.

One thing to ponder now though .... is daylight savings time.

With everyone in Victoria told to put their panels on the north facing section of roof (to catch the sun during the day as it crosses) ....... some people are now starting to look towards the west facing roof, because of the late afternoon and early evening sun, particularly in summer.......... which of course, would help defray some of the evening electricity usage, should time based be introduced.

At the moment, I believe there has been no decision made in regard to time based charges, but it may not be too far away.

Just something for you to ponder, or research ......... :)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational

2019 FNQ Invitational Series
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#23 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

2019 GCSAQ Queensland Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18214 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

Don't waster money and buy system with a small inverter. 1.5 - 3 kW. We paid 20k for our system in qld, and it will average 28kW per day over the year. We have had it on for 6 months and we saved 50 bills on our first power bill. We didn't out it on when you were paid 40c per kilowatt to put it into the grid. We are around the 8-12 c per kW.

We have a 6kW inverter, which is more than enough

Edited by Ah Ben, 24 April 2015 - 08:15 PM.

DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#24 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

That doesn't seem to be much of a return on capital, Ben.  Was that a quarterly bill?

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#25 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18214 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

Ithink around the 400 mark, it's a selling point I Spose probably be here for the next 30 years
Price will drop once last son moves out. He games 18/7 so used a bit of power there.

#26 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:49 PM

Your mention of a gaming son prompted me to look at an old bill for the previous house which included son's four-screen system.  After taking out the hot water component, the bill was around $800, now down to $450.  A few less people in the house, so some reduction in lighting costs, too.  But I'd bet most of the difference was his system and rates have gone up in the interim.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#27 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

Nobody else here got any 'wise words' about solar?

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#28 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

Our electricity bill halved from $700/quarter when we put in a 6kw system
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364

Game golf username : MattFC

#29 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

Nobody else here got any 'wise words' about solar?

We are looking into it, if it takes 5-6 years to cover cost of installation its a good investment.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#30 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18214 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

Our installer told us at the current price of 98 cents per day to provide us electricity, the price will jump to 1.30 per day from the electric companies in the coming months. Will wait and see

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users