50 replies to this topic

#1 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

anyone had experience with any companies in Melbourne. I would like to hear good/bad experiences. Anything to watch out for? Any recommendations? I have become dependent on my ISG family for all decisions of late. I don't even google anymore.....I just know someone on this forum will have the info I am always looking for- thanks guys.
  • Turfers Paradise likes this

#2 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38351 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

'pimp, my mate has recently (last 6 months) had it installed and seems very happy with it. I think he ended having to have a 'smart' meter for it but I believe it's greatly reduced their dependency and bill. If you want I'll chase up the company that installed it, from him?

#3 Peter_Pan

Peter_Pan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

ekoenergy is very good with finance options

#4 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:09 AM

‘pimp, my mate has recently (last 6 months) had it installed and seems very happy with it.

I think he ended having to have a ‘smart’ meter for it but I believe it’s greatly reduced their dependency and bill.

If you want I’ll chase up the company that installed it, from him?

2009 ISG Castlemaine Day – Handicap winner
2010 ISG Emerald Day – Handicap 3rd
2010 ISG Settlers Run Day – Handicap 3rd

http://www.gippswebs.com.au...

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

That would be great Francie. It looks like I am going to be out of pocket $3800 for a 1.5kw system.

#5 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:10 AM

ekoenergy is very good with finance options

The little boy who never grew up

Thanks Michael Jackson.....I mean Peter Pan :)

#6 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38351 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:11 AM

‘pimp, my mate has recently (last 6 months) had it installed and seems very happy with it.

I think he ended having to have a ‘smart’ meter for it but I believe it’s greatly reduced their dependency and bill.

If you want I’ll chase up the company that installed it, from him?

2009 ISG Castlemaine Day – Handicap winner
2010 ISG Emerald Day – Handicap 3rd
2010 ISG Settlers Run Day – Handicap 3rd

http://www.gippswebs.com.au…

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

That would be great Francie. It looks like I am going to be out of pocket $3800 for a 1.5kw system.

'Pimp - I rang my mate and he has the company sign out the front of his house. - 'CLEAN ENERGY SOLAR' is their name on 1300 983 178. He believes they are a small company because he recently had an electrician at his house who hadn't heard of them. The electrician believed his system was about 2.0 kw and it cost them about $6,000. The smart metre was fitted a short time after. He said that he knows someone who switched power companies before the smart metre was fitted and they have had all sorts of trouble, so don't do that. As for service they came out and explained everything, step by step and completed the work very quickly. He's very happy with the service and the big test will be in January when he gets his next bill. :-)

#7 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

Cheers for that Francie. Much appreciated. I think I am going to be entering a minefield. I am sure there are a couple of sharks out there. I have a couple of people coming round this week. i will check out that company your mate used.

#8 AriGold

AriGold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:24 AM

Hey Champ, Thinking of doing the same. How did you go? There was a good deal in Sundays Hearld Sun with a few larger options. Ari

#9 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

Yeah didn't get it in the end. The guy was really honest and said that with our lifestyle ie: hours we are home- that it wasn't really worth it. It appears that it is all smoke and mirrors the way they sell the cost benefits etc. I think it was that if you have anyone home during the day, then it is less likely to be worth it. The reason being that you would be using the solar as it comes in. If the house is empty during the day, then it gets pumped back into the grid- giving you credit- and then you use some of it at night. I think that is the laymans explanation. It is also dependent on your consumption. It would have taken us years to pay it off, and I could better use that money elsewhere right now. The guy who came to us said that he never really sells to young couples or singles. His main market is older people with mortgage paid off and disposable income. I will wait for the technology to get better and cheaper. Make sure you get it off a company that is in it for the long haul, as there are plenty of shonks out there cashing in, just like the insulation. Good luck

#10 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

Can I bring this back up? (Oops... already did.) Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this set-up. Mrs Smergs is pretty keen to investigate its viability, which essentially means I have to investigate its viability. On initial research it's a fairly complex kind of world out there, with plenty of unfamiliar jargon. I'm just calling on people who have experience in them (particularly in Victoria) and whether or not it's a good or bad thing. Key thing for me will be break-even times. The other thing I noticed is that websites are quoting the 'average' consumption of a house is about 18-20kWh. I find this staggering, as I did a quick check of our bills since 2008 and found we averaged 9.2kWh over this time. We've got two kids, 4 bedroom house, all the standard appliances and such. We do play it smart with energy saving bulbs and Mrs Smerg is constantly on 'Standby Police' duty where things get turned off at the wall. So I'm trying also to size up a suitable scale solar set-up that would allow us to draw zero nett power from the grid. Welcome any thoughts people might have.

#11 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:07 AM

I can get the guys email that helped me out. Really nice guy who told me that it wasn't worth it for us. He could have lied to me with BS figures etc but he was totally honest. Didn't even make us feel like we wasted his time.

#12 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

email daniel@solarsunwerx dot com dot au He was a top bloke. It all seems a bit of a scam at the moment but might really help out if the carbon tax comes in. But if that comes in we are going to be losing money hand over fist with an uncompetitive industrial sector anyway. We get it in the arse either way

#13 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24065 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

smergs send me an email mate, bassb1 hat optus net dot com dot a you had a good long chat with my neighbour who had some installed, there are a few pitt falls eg the smart meter etc etc m

#14 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

Thanks guys for the details. Tigerpimp - I'll drop him a line if I go to the next step. Just trying to weigh up pro's and cons at the moment. Kiwi - I'll drop you a line.

#15 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8124 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

And of course there is always the possibility that the govt may renege on the price paid for the feed-in tariff. Nah, that wouldn't, couldn't happen, could it, would it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users