123 replies to this topic

#31 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:53 PM

Did you have your club info session last night about the proposed changes?

#32 The_Doon

The_Doon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

Jetset, we did have the information session on Tuesday evening with around 120 members in attendance. The evening went very well and the feedback from members has been overwhelmingly positive about the proposed changes. So, it's all looking good for stage one to commence in May 2011. Exciting times ahead at The Doon.

#33 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

Good news The_Doon! I saw the 'Mac' today out at the Lakes following Ogilvy/Scott at the Open and was going to say hello and introduce myself from the forum and ask about BD, then i kind of realised it would of looked and sounded pretty stupid, so i just kept my head down and watched the 2 golfers carve up the Lakes instead! Great golf.

#34 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:55 AM

Apparently Geoff was at The Doon selling their "vision" to the members a few nights ago. BD has had an evening such as this every year for the last 8 years or so re potential course changes. Lets hope the members see the light (even if its just a fraction of whats being touted).

#35 The_Doon

The_Doon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

Nikey...that's not quite true. We've had a few information sessions with members over the past 12 months, but nothing before that for at least 4 years (which covers the time I've been at the club). It is true that this project has been on our agenda for the past 8 years or so. However the delay has been due to complications with getting development approval from council; nothing to do with our members.

#36 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

Nikey…that’s not quite true. We’ve had a few information sessions with members over the past 12 months, but nothing before that for at least 4 years (which covers the time I’ve been at the club).

It is true that this project has been on our agenda for the past 8 years or so. However the delay has been due to complications with getting development approval from council; nothing to do with our members.

For the record I wish nothing but the best for The Doon. I hope that both the course and clubhouse are renovated and brought back inline with the reputation that the club has. I like many was dissapointed to see that it had slipped out of the Top 100 rankings earlier this year but it is justified based on its current offerring. As a past member (of approx 5-6 years-before and during your time at the club) I have no intention of using this open forum negatively. I will though disagree with your statement above re there being no members nights prior to the last 12 months and no members angst towards the process and the proposed changes etc. There were meetings to discuss the original master plan, there were meetings that covered the proposed amendments (two choices) to the master plan by the course architect originally retained (not the current one) and there were a show of hands at these meetings on a number of matters (i.e voting & disagreement re the direction to be taken). I incorrectly saw no "light at the end of the tunnel" and subsequently resigned as a member. If everything has now been ratified by the membership and the board and the proposed changes are in deed definitely taking place I sincerely applaud you! I like many will be back in the queue to play The Doon!

#37 The_Doon

The_Doon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Nikey, thanks for your insights as a past member. I understand that there were information evenings re the course development held prior to 2006, I'm just not across the details as I was not at the club at the time. The first one I was involved in was in Nov 2009. Of course in a club of 1,200 members, there are some who do not believe that the golf course needs to be upgraded. However, we now feel that we have the support of the membership in general, and most are excited by the master plan developed by Ogilvy Clayton and that stage one is scheduled to commence in 2011. Hopefully you'll be so impressed with the changes that we can win you back as a member :)

#38 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

The_Doon, What's the latest on the the course development? Has it been DA approved? Has the final layout been decided? When will it start etc? Regards

#39 The_Doon

The_Doon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Sorry for the late reply Jetset, I just saw this post. We do have an approved DA, however it needs to be modified for the Ogilvy Clayton layout. This is being processed now. We have been importing sand for the past few months in order to cap our spare land with at least one metre of sand, and will continue with this process over the coming months. The final layout has been decided. Stage 1, which involves the construction of 7 holes, will kick off on the 2nd of May. This basically includes 3 completely new holes & the upgrade of 4 existing holes (1st, 2nd, 3rd & 8th). Plus the practice facility. I'll post some detailed plans of these new holes on the BDGC website this week, so look out for those.

#40 hangingout

hangingout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

Contracts signed and exchanged this afternoon. Fairways to be poisioned on Monday and fence goes up on May 5. Let the redevelopment begin. Now, who were those doubters again?

#41 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

exciting times ahead !!

#42 fred5050

fred5050

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:37 AM

When will this reno be complete? Have they outlined how many holes will be playable during the reno? Thinking of joining, but not fully committed yet. Any insights would be welcome.

#43 The_Doon

The_Doon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

Fred, My name is Nick Bowles, I am the GM at Bonnie Doon. The 7 new holes that are being constructed during Stage One will be open from the 31st March 2012. From commencement (5th May) up until the 30th March 2012, there will be 15 holes in play.

#44 hangingout

hangingout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

one of the extremely few courses that has never been closed due to wet weather in the last 5 years. Last Sat, drenching rain early AM, comp delayed for 45 minutes. Now that's value for money.

#45 fred5050

fred5050

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:40 AM

So when will the full reno be finished?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users