123 replies to this topic

#1 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

As the club secretary has kindly posted the master plan - i guess we should start a new discussion

#2 armygolf

armygolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3786 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Where's the master plan northener. Does Sanga still play BD?

#3 lefty731pm

lefty731pm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1988 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

Just remember that it is a master plan, which means that whatever changes are done are done according to that plan. Bonnie Doon is not going to implement all of the things on the plan at once. It might take decades for all of them to ocur, if indeed that happens. It's not going to be a Lakes type overahul in one go. The master plan is very well put together and Clayton justifies and explains all the intentions of the plan intelligently and pragmatically.

#4 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:12 AM

there is a link on the front page of the club website, you can view or down load the entire thing. Rather sporting of them. I am interested in this long, uphill blind par three concept Mac seems to have thrown in. I also dont get the 10th hole options - will be a 3 or a 4? Being a 3 doesnt make sense, no good for getting the field away, and the ground there is pretty flat and so any hole would be purely contrived - much better green sites further out toward the gully and hill

#5 The_Doon

The_Doon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:37 AM

Northerner, the draft masterplan came back from Ogilvy Clayton with the 10th as a par 3 and the 11th as a par 5 (option one in the masterplan). Some members of the Board and management team (myself included) felt that two par 4s made more sense, so OC have given us that option. As this is not in stage one, there is not a pressing need to make a decision. If you refer to the master plan, stage one will involve the new 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 9th & 18th holes, plus an upgrade to the driving range. In other words, everything from the current 8th hole across to the Eastlake boundary.

#6 armygolf

armygolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3786 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:37 AM

Master plan looks pretty bloody good. I have always wondered why Bonnie Doon was ever rated so highly as it was. IMO the place is no better than Eastlake. Good luck Mac, hope all goes well. Love the blind second on a par 5 you are looking at doing, (the 16th?). That hole at Lahinch was a beauty when we played. I like the par 3 on the new land, could you do it like the par 3 at Royal Melb composite, the 5th I think? Thats a good un. As for par 3 10th, dont like it, too slow to get the fields away.

#7 The_Doon

The_Doon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:53 AM

Armygolf, the club identified a few issues with the 10th hole being a par 3. With a two tee start, the slow play issue was obvious. Plus four par 3s in the first ten holes was not ideal. The par 4-par 4 option for the 10th and 11th is certainly my preference. If only we had enough land for par 4 10th and the par 5 11th!

#8 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:54 AM

I vote for the two par 4 options - let Mac know who is boss. Im sure they would make a lovely par three, but short holes really are a pain for getting field away - even short par 4's are a nuisance. First hole at my club is a driveable par 4 for the young blokes - lovely hole, but not great as a 1st hole as the litlte buggers all insist on having a crack at it, so they wait and then of course invariably put in into the trees. I also think there woudl be a nice green site up there somewhere on the dune by the 17th green

#9 The_Doon

The_Doon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:02 AM

Thanks Northerner, I'm pretty confident that the two par 4 option will get the nod. Plus this will give us a great short game facility near the clubhouse (on the first 150m of the existing 9th hole) that we wouldn't get with the other option.

#10 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:21 AM

although i can see the argument in wanting the 11th to be a nice long par 5. Luckily it isnt my problem. Could they reverse it - have the 10th as a par 5 and then the 11th as a par 3?

#11 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:22 AM

Just remember that it is a master plan, which means that whatever changes are done are done according to that plan.
Bonnie Doon is not going to implement all of the things on the plan at once. It might take decades for all of them to ocur, if indeed that happens.
It’s not going to be a Lakes type overahul in one go.
The master plan is very well put together and Clayton justifies and explains all the intentions of the plan intelligently and pragmatically.

Totally agree with your comment. Irrspective of what the master plan looks like it needs to get passed by the members prior to any work being undertaken. The Doon has had a master plan in place for almost a decade now with plans and more plans of various scenario's vaulted away. Like is the case at most clubs considering significant works there has (and continue's to be) many differring views at the membership level as to the potential change and to what extent (if any) they need to go to. With an ageing golfing population there is also the question of older members potentially only looking as far as what benefit it would be to them (selfish I know), which in most cases could only be 5 more years of golf max (aswell as taking into account 18-24 months "pain" while the development goes on) and any increase in subs to fund the project etc. Although it was obvious beforehand (just read the course reviews on this site), I think their exclusion from the Top 100 really shook the tree at The Doon and they have realised the current layout is well below its reputation. I hope The Doon does get serious and commits to its re-development. Its location, the property itself and its reputation and club history deserve it. Unless there has been a massive change in member attitude of late though, I just dont think you can expect it to be done all at once nor to the extent that is being proposed. Just my $0.02c

#12 passyone

passyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:48 AM

Hi. Stage 1a commencing mid 2011. Expected timeframe is 10 months (back playing April 2012) to have a redeveloped 1st, 2nd, 3rd, new 4th, new 5th and new 9th (the old 4th as a par 5 in reverse). Stage 2b which will finish off the front 9 hopefully will be completed during the next season but this depends on finances. At this point of time, it's looking positive but no guarantee. So.............it's happening is what I'm trying to say.

#13 passyone

passyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:49 AM

Oops, I mean Stage 1b.

#14 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

Am glad to hear that BD has taken steps to get Ogilvy and Clayton involved in it's course redesign. Interesting concepts in the Masterplan including - a "blind" P3 and P5 ?

#15 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

10 could be a fantastic par four down 18 to the tee - probably followed by a long three or a short 4. I don't really have an issue with 10 as a 3 - Lytham have done fine with a par 3 start as have Yarra Yarra and Victoria with the short par four. 10 does not really work as a par five because of the green sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users