55 replies to this topic

#1 Biscuits

Biscuits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:51 AM

Hi all, What is the possibility of this occurring? I believe the respective committees are currently discussing this merger. I'm of the understanding that this was attempted only 5 yrs ago when Kew members stopped it dead in its tracks. It would be good to hear the opinions of any Kew or Green Acres members.

#2 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24034 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

be like Australia merging with NZ, wont happen. We are far to good for them.

#3 Domi

Domi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

Coz you won the netball? oh and the rugby, and probably cricket next, and that's with more Kiwis being in australia than in NZ, pretty good effort, does beg the question why you love it so much here tho! As for that merger, makes sense on paper but certainly can't see it happening, not with the current generation of Kew members anyhow.

#4 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9446 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

Dont be surprised...In the future we will see more and more merging of golf businesses together.right across all cities and even in country areas. The days of "prestige ..exclusive members only " clubs are over... gone.. finished.. .. Mergers and aquasitions happens in other industries why wont it happen in golf clubs... If we dont see mergers, we are likely see big consortiums buyers coming in and buying up several golf clubs or alternativley golf clubs going broke and closing down.. Golf club management and members have to think with their heads not their hearts.. reasons why this will occur: falling membership numbers increased cost of operations. financial viability of clubs.. lots of clubs in Melbourne are really struggling financially..(some will go broke in next 3 years) Developers want land .. to put houses on.. Merging saves on resources, one set of green staff, one set of bar staff etc. gives variation and better facilties for members we are starting to see this opening of doors to a small extent with some clubs offering members games on other courses in area etc. one of the items on the agenda for any club committee board is and must be merger or aquasitions.If its not, members should be raising this at AGM's.

#5 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15524 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

Nice Avatar Domi

#6 Domi

Domi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:01 AM

haha, its not a bad one is it Mick, I took it this morning! Break80 - I pretty much was saying the same thing as you, albeit in a much more limited manner. I said it makes sense but the current generation of Kew Members wont allow it. At the moment I think there are still a lot of clubs that are 'exclusive' as I can tell you from experience I have gone there with cash in hand and they will turn you away unless you have the requisite 'proposers, seconders' etc.

#7 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:12 AM

Dont be surprised…In the future we will see more and more merging of golf businesses together.right across all cities and even in country areas.

The days of “prestige ..exclusive members only ” clubs are over… gone.. finished..
Mergers and aquasitions happens in other industries why wont it happen in golf clubs…
If we dont see mergers, we are likely see big consortiums buyers coming in and buying up several golf clubs or alternativley golf clubs going broke and closing down..

Golf club management and members have to think with their heads not their hearts..

reasons why this will occur: falling membership numbers
increased cost of operations.
financial viability of clubs.. lots of clubs in Melbourne are really struggling financially..(some will go broke in next 3 years)
Developers want land .. to put houses on..
Merging saves on resources, one set of green staff, one set of bar staff etc.
gives variation and better facilties for members

we are starting to see this opening of doors to a small extent with some clubs offering members games on other courses in area etc.

one of the items on the agenda for any club committee board is and must be merger or aquasitions.If its not, members should be raising this at AGM’s.

A bit harsh, but some trusth perhaps. Although I would suggest that it is not across the board. There will always be posh members only clubs at the top end, it is the second tier that will struggle. Kew was a posh old club in the olden days, but clearly it is not in the sandbelt and so cannot boast the quality of course that are available down the down the road - it therefore pales by comparison. Yes you will probablyt see some of these middle clubs merge or become more public facilities, but of course all that will acheive is make the top teir even more posh and exlusive

#8 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:07 AM

Why would KGC want a merger ? It already on its maximum capacity. In fact, to join KGC, there is a waiting list approx. 2 yrs. Biscuits, are you sure Greenacre need more members? If it half it's joining fee, I'll join it, provided I'm acceptable to them.

#9 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:15 AM

If it led to efficiencies and savings in administration, staff and equipment sharing, a merger could work. Depends on how much the members value their independence vis-a-vis saving money. If my club had another 18-hole course right next door, it'd be mad not to investigate it.

#10 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:42 AM

Yeah ! RM have taken the lease on Sandri and should allow us to pay and play on RM too. Or Victoria and Cheltenham golf club should merge. Don't forget about the class diff. in society, brought to OZ by the British Empire.

#11 Kransky

Kransky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:47 AM

Will never happen. Kew are by far in a stronger financial position of the two, and detest the bogans from Green Acres (and quite rightly so).

#12 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:58 AM

Kransky, I want to be a bogan. Can you intro me a bogan from Greenacre ? I prefer the bent grass greens in Greenacre than the poa in KGC.

#13 Kransky

Kransky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:42 AM

I think you already are a bogan ellimb. Are you asian (or maybe Indian)? Your posts suggest you are (not that theres anything wrong with that)

#14 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24034 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

Coz you won the netball? oh and the rugby, and probably cricket next, and that’s with more Kiwis being in australia than in NZ, pretty good effort, does beg the question why you love it so much here tho!
As for that merger, makes sense on paper but certainly can’t see it happening, not with the current generation of Kew members anyhow.

this post should be all the evidence needed. Fukwitt

#15 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9446 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

Guys Guys ...This is not meant to be a racial discussion or a discussion about social class status, its about the possibility of golf clubs going under if they dont stay in touch with members and change their attitudes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users