#31 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE: Elizabeth @ Oct 20 2005, 10:51 AM

I hear that the 'Prime Life' Gerry's get to play it once a week at the moment.

Tithers, stick a hair net on and get down there next Tuesday!

On Mondays, they get to play 6-8 holes. The place has new drainage scars all over it now and they play tee up through the green.

#32 pread

pread

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:00 AM

I heard something on the radio recently about membership for $87.50 per month. Was that Waterford Valley ?

#33 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:02 AM

That's Waverley Private

#34 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE: pread @ Oct 24 2005, 06:00 PM

I heard something on the radio recently about membership for $87.50 per month. Was that Waterford Valley ?

QUOTE: judgesmails @ Oct 24 2005, 06:02 PM

That's Waverley Private

Would that be for 5 Day Membership ?

#35 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:19 PM

Dunno, it's on a huge banner out the front of the course facing Stud Rd

#36 golfdoc

golfdoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:17 PM

Hi All

i'm new to this forum, but am looking forward to the opening of waterford valley. I play most of my golf at kingston links or on the peninsula, when time, work and family permit.

a month or so a go I called a phone number which was on the Waterford Valley Golf homepage, at www.waterfordvalleygolf.com.au , and the bloke said it would open on Jan 15th 2006. The homepage now doesn't exist. Anyone know anything more? I haven't heard any advertising or read anytrhing about it anywhere, and a google search doesn't come up with much either.

golfdoc

#37 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:05 AM

You beauty! My first attempts at inserting pics works. Many thanks to Jack & Jeffrey for having the patience to help.

Here is a view of the 7th hole at Waterford, showing something that may be a common feature here, but I'm not going to make the too-early call until I've played it. These pics were taken from over the fence, so won't be from the best angles.

Firstly, from behind and left of the tee (the back tee is further back than the one in the pic on the same line from the fairway).

user posted image

On many holes here, it is a bit of corridor golf. That is, trouble on both sides of varying difficulty. I have to get a better pick of #8-9 where there are plenty of right bunkers and more creek like this water here to the left. So hitting fairways hjas been made paramount.

user posted image

Converesly, the green complexes like the one above are in most cases very generously bordered by little trouble. There is plenty of scope for reasonable innaccuracy, with the obvious exception of #18 with an almost island type green surrounded by yellow stakes.

#38 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

I like one thing here, the frequent crinkles in the fairways. The willingness to offer some uneven lies and rolls that in some cases make the golfer have to think their tee shot and in others at least teach them when they are in the fairway that some areas are better than others has to be some sort of plus. These are of #7 again, the second pic looking from the left of the fairway across the hole.

user posted image

user posted image

#39 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

Nice pics tititheridge considering the effort you went to get them ! I look forward to reading yours and fellow ISGers reviews of the course after it opens and how it compares to Kingston Links.

#40 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

Tithers,

Great stuff.

Now that you have mastered the art of picture hosting and posting, can you do us all a favour and start another thread for all those hot Grace Park (and other hotties) pictures you have on your hard drive?

#41 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

any idea when this place officially opens? ...looks interesting with all the natural growth.

#42 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:11 AM

Apparently, around the middle of this month. I promise I'll assist in getting up an ISG Day in the first couple of months it is open. Ibelieve it has been all sorts of hassles with the site teams, regulatory bodies and contractors that has delayed everything. The actual course was built long ago, is meticulously maintained and the clubhouse shot up very quickly once it was cleared to begin, so I don't think $$$ have been any part of the problem.

It is quite a curiousity to see how the design will play. It is by an architectural firm that I have lukewarm accepted in some instances and lambasted in others. PCD have done all the evil at Eagle Ridge (I don't believe the blame there belongs to the client because no client demands for tricked up resort golf have to result in what is there), and the controversial Hidden Valley that I would hate to play often due to the repetitive signature palaces of water, but actually quite enjoy visiting there from time to time and play skins.

Waterford Valley Lakes is far more moderate than either of the other two, has a mix of potentially over-attention seeking hazard grandness like Hidden Valley, but also has forgiving public course features that seem to look as though they'll work well. The forgiveness around the greens as mentioned before, actually well constructed and thoughtful looking bunkering, lined perhaps slightly too narrow corridors of fairway that unfortunately may result in a no-go zone off both sides at times, but which is less extreme on at least one side than lakes or the like, and rippled fairways that look in place even though the surrounding landscape is fairly flat. My guess is that if there are any tricks here that eventually don't work, a little width would have alleviated these issues. There are few adequately wide fairways for a public track that has major trouble on at least one side and sometimes both. The holes from #6-9 for starters all wind along a clockwise route with either creek or ponds all the way down the left, and I yet there doesn't seem much bailout to the right.

#43 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the pictures Tithers, lookss like it should Rank between number 95 and 100 in Oz.

#44 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:07 AM

A couple of views on how penal it can get;

Taken from the boundary fence along the left hand side of the par 5 8th. Firstly, flanking bunkers on each side (and creek in the foreground).
user posted image

Then a hundred yards further up, the creek in the foreground a full blown lake on the other side.
user posted image

Then the again forgiving green surrounds, with some reasoanble movement within the green. Many greens here like this have some movement feeding topographically off the green, with not a lot internally.
user posted image

#45 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:52 AM

#18 has the island green, though less a smack in the face than Hidden Valley, and not trying to make some massive statement.

From the tee. That's water left, as well as a deep trap hidden from view, with deep rough well right. Tonk it straight. Nice cart path visuals tongue.gif
user posted image

From left half of the fairway beside the trap, around 140m from the centre of the green.
user posted image

From just short of the green from the right edge of the fairway right at the end. The false front you can kind of see in the first third of the green is actually quite steep, with bunkers all sides including over the back, I guess so most balls don't end up in the drink. This will be a tough two putt from a number of spots.
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users