138 replies to this topic

#16 growler

growler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:22 AM

What has happened to the VGA involvement in this course?

I think I'd rather save my money if the rumoured green fees are correct and play Kingston Links. - have yet to find a PCD course that provides the desire to return for a second game.

#17 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE: Elizabeth @ Oct 5 2005, 01:19 PM

It is, in my opinion, far superior to Kingston Links.

I've thought more about this statement of yours, and come to a conclusion. At the very very least, this statement is massively premature. In all likelihood, the word "far" is highly unlikely to help this statement ever be correct. WVL looks promising to me, but to annoint it with this honour is a huge call from one who has possibly seen only three holes. One thing I will say about WVL is that a few of the green complexes are nicely framed from the line of play in the fairways. And the course will look and play perfectly for its target market. I'd have to play some of the holes with more water in play before cautiously ticking the report card.

#18 Bulstrode

Bulstrode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE: growler @ Oct 5 2005, 09:22 PM

What has happened to the VGA involvement in this course?

From memory the VGA jumped a couple of years back when the developer at that time decided to create some additional housing sites out of the practice facilities. Might be wrong though. The states elite being based at a retirement village track always seemed an odd one. dry.gif

#19 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ Oct 5 2005, 09:53 PM

I've thought more about this statement of yours, and come to a conclusion. At the very very least, this statement is massively premature. In all likelihood, the word "far" is highly unlikely to help this statement ever be correct. WVL looks promising to me, but to annoint it with this honour is a huge call from one who has possibly seen only three holes. One thing I will say about WVL is that a few of the green complexes are nicely framed from the line of play in the fairways. And the course will look and play perfectly for its target market. I'd have to play some of the holes with more water in play before cautiously ticking the report card.

Possibly right Tithers, but I have never liked Kingston Links. I think I knocked a great 2nd shot to a par 5 over a hill there once and found my ball in a pond - it lost me from that point on.

My friend lives on Teetora Cres - maybe you're neighbours, but I don't actually know the hole numbers we played.

Lizzie

#20 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE: Bulstrode @ Oct 6 2005, 07:53 AM

From memory the VGA jumped a couple of years back when the developer at that time decided to create some additional housing sites out of the practice facilities.  Might be wrong though.  The states elite being based at a retirement village track always seemed an odd one. dry.gif

Yep, practice fairway has vanished under future residential development. I was dejected, because I thought it would be cool to have a great facility within walking distance. Alas, I'll still be heading to KL for hitting pills.

Lizzy,

#10 runs along Teetora Close, to your right as you jump the fence. #17 is the par 3 coming back as you play #11. I believe much of the back nine until #18 looks tame compared to the front. The feature you loved about your shot at KL (can't figure out the spot as the description doesn't fit any of the par 5s) will be there for you to enjoy in stereo quadrophonic sound around other parts of the course. You may find KL the least offensive of the two. That said, I cautiously predict that WVL's rythym of having a few blocks of holes with no overly cooked up features will give it an overall pace that is very suitable. No Hidden Valley style barrage of relentless unforgiving penal hole one after the other. That said, I have to shamefully admit that I enjoy playing Hidden Valley. Just couldn't play there all the time as a member unless I was CEO of Acushnet.

#21 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:10 PM

I thought the dogleg to the left of about 375 meters was a terrific hole (with Teetora Close on your right). Big wide fairway with a creek on the left which was the optimum line, followed by a shot through a narrowing neck to a well bunkered green.

I may have to hit my friend up for another BBQ once daylight savings starts. Hopefully I don't find too many blind shots with water over the crest, or I will be disappointed.

Lizzie

#22 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

I think the hole at KL that you drove into the drink is about the 4th, par 4 that has a pole showing you the line to hit. I did exactly the same thing there last time I played...

#23 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:02 PM

That's the one. Absolute Barry Crocker.

#24 Rightfoot_sloth

Rightfoot_sloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:13 AM

Can someone takes some pics on the weekend of this new oasis in the 'burbs ? I would interested to see how close the houses are in respect to the layout. Thanks. biggrin.gif

#25 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:29 AM

Slothy,

A genuine Lizzie Power slice would land in the houses every time. My friend is putting blinds up to protect his windows. However, Lizzie is particularly skilled at this shot and may be the exception to the rule.

Liz

#26 Rightfoot_sloth

Rightfoot_sloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:33 AM

Cheers Lizzy. Thanks for that.

#27 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE: Rightfoot_sloth @ Oct 7 2005, 02:13 PM

Can someone takes some pics on the weekend of this new oasis in the 'burbs ? I would interested to see how close the houses are in respect to the layout. Thanks. biggrin.gif

To be fair, I'd have to say in general that there isn't much housing "in play". Throughout most of the property, there is at least sixty to one hundred yards separating the optimum line of play and the boundaries. And the course is quite wide in places.

I actually own a house at driver distance along the fourth. But there isn't a hope in heck we'll be inundated with balls. This hole has been played every Monday this year by many groups every morning with no balls recorded in our yard. Left of the fairway is rough. Left of the rough is a twin row of trees. Left of the trees is a minor valley of rough, followed by more trees, then you are finally getting within twenty yards of my fence. This formula is repeated throughout most if not quite all of the course. Of course, they haven't yet invented a golfer who can't find a way to the most bemusing corners of a property, so perhaps my time will come.

I couldn't get you photos just yet, as I pushed a few boundaries getting a walk and play of a few holes already, and at the moment all present (not part of the Monday morning retirees mob) are treated as hostile.

Lizzy,

#4 at KL is at its worst as a first time played hole. It is terrible in that respect, but for repeat play, it is less offensive. I can hit driver into the wind down to rescue mid downwind. Its greatest strength (if I can call it that) is as a public golfer's repeat played hole. They have to choose to go over the drink with their second shot if they stuff up their first. But like MM, I agree it is much in need of water re-routing to make it at least diagonal. If you play here again, hit rescue mid or 5 wood just left of the right trap and the whole round will be less to your distaste. The rest of the track is solid enough. Maybe one of my long winded reviews is in order soon.

#28 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:43 AM

lurvly white stuff in them bunkers smile.gif

http://www.waterfordvalleygolf.com.au/

#29 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:19 AM

November now looking doubtful. New hope is to open before Christmas with no guarantees. The hassle is around when hand over from site contractors is ready, and council requirements being met or agreed to by both parties.

#30 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:51 PM

I hear that the 'Prime Life' Gerry's get to play it once a week at the moment.

Tithers, stick a hair net on and get down there next Tuesday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users