138 replies to this topic

#1 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 08:45 AM

The Waterford Valley golf course in Rowville is looking close to being ready to open.

Anybody know anything of it, in terms of access, any update or other?

It's PCD, isn't it?

#2 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:30 PM

An update. Waterford Valley Lakes will open next year now.

The course is finished and ready for play. The greens are running at 9-9.5 and just need holes cut in them. But oops, there is no clubhouse, and other nearby construction work due to finish by now is still going, making it dangerous to have people walking on the site.

#3 John J Jones

John J Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:45 PM

Tithers,

What does it look like?

JJ

#4 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:55 PM

Kingston Links without the attempt to look like a links.

It is an open parkland style course, which will be public access and located amongst a PrimeLife retirement complex. As a result, the course is forgiving. Bunkers are set back away from the very edges of greens, first cuts of rough are wide and gentle etc. It may be too safe, but makes a pleasant change from the Hidden Valley follies. Nothing looks great, but nothing looks like it should be spoken of harshly. As a $30-35 course that is still in the suburbs and closer for an easterner than the peninsula, I see no reason why it can't be right for the area.

After it opens, a Waterford Valley v Kingston Links thread would be apt. They are less than 10 minutes apart.

#5 TheGasman

TheGasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 06:37 AM

Ttitheridge you are fast becoming my hero, can I be your new best friend?! After reading all of your recent course reports, now I found you scouting out new ones before they've opened. What a champ! It seems you are living the life I wish I could lead. I've gone someway to achieving it, shown in my Melbourne Courses post and I'm about to join Amstel/Ranfurlie, but you sure do get around. Do you have business that takes you to a lot of these places? or is it purely a life of leisure? tongue.gif Great reports keep up the good work.

#6 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 05:30 PM

Sadly, Gasman, I am just one of those sad d!ckheads that spends every spare moment doing sad things. But thank you for the acknowledgement biggrin.gif

Jim has already pulled me into line for visiting a PCD site pre opening. It's hard among us Melbourne pre-conceived snobs to justify visiting one of their sites AFTER it has opened!

#7 TheGasman

TheGasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:09 PM

I guess that makes me an aspiring d!ckhead :wink:

#8 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ Sep 25 2003, 11:45 PM

The Waterford Valley golf course in Rowville is looking close to being ready to open.

I typed this nearly two years ago, and now it is around Christmas this year they are hoping to open! Course is well and truly grown in (the bloody thing has been there for over two years), and all turf is quite mature. They even have a few people unofficially belting around on it from time to time, but not often. Clubhouse complex is shaping up well. Looks forgiving and fun. Won't aspire to knock another course off the top 5 Victorian public access list, but will do at least well enough to give the much maligned Kingston Links a run for its money.

#9 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:37 AM

Finally, this place is going to open. They get the hand over on November 10th, so some time shortly after that it will be in business. The word is to look out among the coming weeks in the Leader and Journal weekly rags for some hefty promo hype.

The creek & other waterways winding at some points around the course tighten things up a lot on some holes (with sand on many of the opposite flanks), but other holes on the course have plenty of width. And greenside hazards that aren't water related are tame compared to their look and are set back from green sides.

I think the biggest caution at the moment is that they have released pricing which for the area and demographics is approximately $10-15 too high. it will be

$45 weekdays

going on the most recent phone conversation and

$50 weekends

. Given Kingston Links is $38ish weekdays and a little over $40 on weekends, I think that Waterford have aimed the tiniest tad too high. That is unless there is some deal stitched up with the anti green banana brigade who were PrimeLife clients and they have a significant arrangement that locks in a fair percentage of the forecast revenues. But the retirees here aren't all that plentiful, and one of the main complexes proposed hasn't even started construction yet.

Still, a game here will be $20-30 in petrol cheaper than half my other games. So I will actually save money by tonking it round here quite often.

#10 cunninga

cunninga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1078 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ Oct 4 2005, 08:37 PM

Finally, this place is going to open. They get the hand over on November 10th, so some time shortly after that it will be in business. The word is to look out among the coming weeks in the Leader and Journal weekly rags for some hefty promo hype.

The creek & other waterways winding at some points around the course tighten things up a lot on some holes (with sand on many of the opposite flanks), but other holes on the course have plenty of width. And greenside hazards that aren't water related are tame compared to their look and are set back from green sides.

I think the biggest caution at the moment is that they have released pricing which for the area and demographics is approximately $10-15 too high. it will be

$45 weekdays

going on the most recent phone conversation and

$50 weekends

. Given Kingston Links is $38ish weekdays and a little over $40 on weekends, I think that Waterford have aimed the tiniest tad too high. That is unless there is some deal stitched up with the anti green banana brigade who were PrimeLife clients and they have a significant arrangement that locks in a fair percentage of the forecast revenues. But the retirees here aren't all that plentiful, and one of the main complexes proposed hasn't even started construction yet.

Still, a game here will be $20-30 in petrol cheaper than half my other games. So I will actually save money by tonking it round here quite often.

Time will tell what the real price should be.

I guess early on, everyone will pay the requested amount, if only to check out the course. After that, things may be different.

Is the course public or part public?

Will be interesting to see how KL fares now, hopefully they will compete against each other and eventually both lower the costs - a win for the golfer.

One good thing is that this course (Like you mentioned) is not miles away, but close to all metro areas.

#11 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:32 PM

Those green fees sound reasonable to me - givien the courses location and "newness" factor.

#12 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:19 PM

Titthers et al,

I have a friend with a house bordering the course, so at his most recent twilight BBQ we jumped the fence and played 3 holes.

It is, in my opinion, far superior to Kingston Links. They have put a lot of thought into this one and cunning use and storage of storm water, should see it green all year round.

Well worth a look when it opens.

Liz

#13 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:24 PM

Maybe this is the site for the next ISG Day, I wonder what sort of deal they will have for group bookings, Social Clubs

#14 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:33 PM

Get onto them Jason - imagine the exposure if they could impress all of us!!

#15 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE: Elizabeth @ Oct 5 2005, 01:19 PM

Titthers et al,

I have a friend with a house bordering the course, so at his most recent twilight BBQ we jumped the fence and played 3 holes.

It is, in my opinion, far superior to Kingston Links.  They have put a lot of thought into this one and cunning use and storage of storm water, should see it green all year round.

Well worth a look when it opens.
Liz

Can't be far from me. I back on to the 4th, which is in a block of three holes on that side, so you may have played #4-6 in whatever order. Every Monday, they have holes cut and pins in for a few of the anti green banana brigade to have a bash as part of their promised course access years ago when they bought in.

I can't say for sure yet it is better than KL. Looks that way to me, and I think it could become my pick of the PCD tracks.

Jack, I reckon the prices are just a tad reaching. KL is a fairly good model for how to create good demand and make a good go of it. Numbers there lately (I mean in revenue) are looking good. But they aren't full, and they charge less than these Waterford rates. Waterford is a few minutes further out. Newness has its value, but you price for the long term, not for newness. I take it all back if they have tied up some sizeable slots with a regular user group and therefore are only searching for a number of other daily fee players up to a point.

Either way, I'll be there. I already am.

Judge, if it will be so, I'll organise it quite happily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users